Sponsored by:

Car has been sitting in a garage for 7 years, I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:49 AM
KillerX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car has been sitting in a garage for 7 years, I have a few questions

It's been a long time since posting here, I kind of miss getting my hands dirty. So the car has been sitting for 7 years, I changed the oil, noticed a oil leak from the oil pan and valve cover, so I'm going to replace those gaskets and maybe get valve cover hold down spacer? Saw some people with them.

Questions:
1) Do I have to lift the engine to replace the oil pan gasket?
2) What oil does the rear diff take? I figured I'd replace that as well.
3) should I be replacing any other fluids like automatic tranny fluid?
4) there's a small ticking sound coming from the engine, I can't pinpoint it, I might have to dig deeper but any thoughts.
5) any other things I should do?

Thanks in advanced
Old 08-31-2019, 11:58 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

1) Do I have to lift the engine to replace the oil pan gasket? No you drop the idler arm from the frame to get clearance.
2) What oil does the rear diff take? I figured I'd replace that as well. It takes 80W90 compatible with limited slip differentials.
3) should I be replacing any other fluids like automatic tranny fluid? If you dont know when the fluid and filter were last changed, I would do them,
4) there's a small ticking sound coming from the engine, I can't pinpoint it, I might have to dig deeper but any thoughts. Use a length of rubber hose as a stethoscope and move it around to find the source.
5) any other things I should do? Check all 4 brake calipers for leaking and check the brake master cylinder for discolored fluid. Replace the cooling system fluid.
The following users liked this post:
KillerX (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM
KillerX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MelWff
1) Do I have to lift the engine to replace the oil pan gasket? No you drop the idler arm from the frame to get clearance.
2) What oil does the rear diff take? I figured I'd replace that as well. It takes 80W90 compatible with limited slip differentials.
3) should I be replacing any other fluids like automatic tranny fluid? If you dont know when the fluid and filter were last changed, I would do them,
4) there's a small ticking sound coming from the engine, I can't pinpoint it, I might have to dig deeper but any thoughts. Use a length of rubber hose as a stethoscope and move it around to find the source.
5) any other things I should do? Check all 4 brake calipers for leaking and check the brake master cylinder for discolored fluid. Replace the cooling system fluid.
Your amazing! Ya, when I used the brakes it felt super spongy and even pulled to one side, I'll have to check this out.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Bleed the brakes and then step on them too hard. Hard like a 2 year old just jumped out in front of of you. If a line or seal is gonna pop, best to find out when stopped at home.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM
KillerX
Intermediate

Oh I forgot, my fuel gauge doesn't work and my speedometer goes crazy after 40km/h (someone said this was normal) easy fix for the fuel gauge?
Old 08-31-2019, 08:23 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by KillerX
Your amazing! Ya, when I used the brakes it felt super spongy and even pulled to one side, I'll have to check this out.
Really check the calipers for leaks. I fired my car up after a couple years and took it around the block a few times last month. The brakes were spongy and it pulled left. After a couple miles I saw smoke coming from the rear of the car - I had set the brake fluid on fire as it was leaking from a disintegrated rubber boot inside the caliper. Good thing I was almost home so I could get the flames extinguished before anything was damaged. I ended up replacing all four calipers because of the amount of corrosion I found. Took a good amount of flushing to get the lines clean.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:36 AM
KillerX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Really check the calipers for leaks. I fired my car up after a couple years and took it around the block a few times last month. The brakes were spongy and it pulled left. After a couple miles I saw smoke coming from the rear of the car - I had set the brake fluid on fire as it was leaking from a disintegrated rubber boot inside the caliper. Good thing I was almost home so I could get the flames extinguished before anything was damaged. I ended up replacing all four calipers because of the amount of corrosion I found. Took a good amount of flushing to get the lines clean.
Holy smokes! Oh boy, and what's the solution for leaky calipers, is there a rebuild kit or is it the actual connection in the line?
Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

If you have leaky calipers the thing to do is replace them with steel sleeved calipers
Old 09-03-2019, 12:05 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sending unit for gas may just be stuck due to gummed up fuel, Id drive it for awhile see if it frees itself up. Had that happen recently, 3rd drive it was fine
Change the rearend fluid. Had a freshly built rearend in the garage for 8 yrs (filled) it looked like milk when I took the cover off.

Get notified of new replies

To Car has been sitting in a garage for 7 years, I have a few questions

Quick Reply: Car has been sitting in a garage for 7 years, I have a few questions