Sponsored by:

My 68 destroyed !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 AM
68C3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 68 destroyed !!

I hardly ever drive this car. So I decide to drive it home from the shop one weekend and on a Sunday morning a woman on her cell phone runs a red light at high speed ...... Her excuse upon exiting her Buick Sedan "Oh I'm sorry, I was just trying to get to church on time"
The frame is extremely bent, it's been declared a total loss. I may part it out and sell off what I can. It's been a battle with the insurance, but at least I had a witness and a good police report.

VIDEOS OF THE CAR BEFORE :

Last edited by 68C3; 05-03-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 05-02-2019, 12:43 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Wow! Very sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully, and you do not say, you did not get injured which is the most important thing.

I have a good friend, ditto similar story, woman ran a stop sign and wiped out his 72 Corvette. He is still getting it repaired after a long time.

All things, Corvette wise anyway, can be rebuild with time and money, get another frame, front clip, ect. ect. Get some expert advice and figure out what would have to be fixed vrs part out. There are a lot of Corvette projects out there where people bring them back to life after they are pretty dead. This one looks pretty bad, but I would get a sense of what all is involved before bailing out, but just me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Parts section here is a good place to part out if you decide to go that way.

Last edited by 20mercury; 05-02-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 AM
68C3
Intermediate

Right now I don't have the time to repair it. It needs front clip, front suspension parts and a frame. In So Calif the Corvette shops (body repair) get $150 hr + and it's over $50,000 to repair, thus a total loss. I did not get hurt, I swerved quick to avoid a door impact.

This Corvette was purchased new by my Uncle when he was a Navy F4 Pilot - Vietnam War. So it's sad that it survived through so many decades until the era of cell phone users who are distracted while driving. This is the 2nd car of mine to be hit in a 1 year period by people using their phones while driving.....it's only going to get worse. If the insurance company meets my number, then I'll be good and would rather just purchase another 68/69 and part this one out. Thank you for your concern.

Last edited by 68C3; 05-02-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:51 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

That's not easy to look at.

Hope you get fully compensated and can move on
The following users liked this post:
PainfullySlow (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,377 Likes on 3,955 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Just to stick it to her and her insurance company to make a point about this.....I would sue her for emotional damages, psychological damage and loss, and whatever else a good 1-800 lawyer could dream up. The kind of lawyer that doesnt get any money except a third of what you get. They may be bottom feeders but they are good for this stuff. We need to get these stupid self righteous, entitled pieces of crap off the road. The area (North East) live in is full of them, they keep breeding more and are obviously overflowing into the neighboring states. I'm sure CA is the same way by the look of your Senators.

Sorry about your loss. That really sucks that you have to battle insurance companies when its an obvious case of negligence on her part. Maybe you could go have a cookout in her yard and accidentally burn down her house because you were trying to start the charcoal faster with a flame thrower.....not that I'm vindictive or anything. I don't own a wood chipper......yet
Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is awful to see, and to hear about! Hopefully insurance will go well and you’ll get a new 68/69 in no time, regardless it can’t replace the meaning that one had...

cellphone drivers are seriously a bane on the road. I’ve had people pull out in front of me, blow through lights/stop signs, or almost change lanes into me because they’re on their phone. Some people just shouldn’t be on the road :facepalm:
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Do yourself a favor and remove the second video, the insurance company does not need anything else to fight you.
Once you do, delete my post too.,
Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by M4A3E2

cellphone drivers are seriously a bane on the road. I’ve had people pull out in front of me, blow through lights/stop signs, or almost change lanes into me because they’re on their phone. Some people just shouldn’t be on the road :facepalm:
Cell phones....Most abused piece of technology ever invented! I have a 57 ****** pickup. It's big and it's bright Yellow and on 2 occasions this summer, a distracted cell phone driver pulled right in front of me! Just bought and installed air horns.

Last edited by Duke94; 05-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

Sorry for your loss. That is my biggest fear (that and fire) that some blue hair or teenager is going to destroy my decades of hard work by being careless on a phone.

Since the car has some sentimental value, it would make a cool Resto Mod. A Street Shop frame with C6/7 suspension and a new front clip would make a cool car.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Very sad to see. Who is your insurance with? Did you have agreed value. I am just curious to see how you make out.

If this were me, with all that history with the family and the car, I would rebuild it. But thats me. You need to do what you need to do.

Best of luck.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
Cell phones....Most abused piece of technology ever invented! I have a 57 ****** pickup. It's big and it's bright Yellow and on 2 occasions this summer, a distracted cell phone driver pulled right in front of me! Just bought and installed air horns.
My car is bright green and sure is distinctive... and I spun out on Monday when I had to slam on the brakes at 45mph because someone decided not to look when they were turning! Maybe I should look into installing a less quiet horn..

How does someone even miss a giant, yellow truck?

Last edited by M4A3E2; 05-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Drifter36 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by 68C3
I hardly ever drive this car. So I decide to drive it home from the shop one weekend and on a Sunday morning a woman on her cell phone runs a red light at high speed ...... Her excuse upon exiting her Buick Sedan "Oh I'm sorry, I was just trying to get to church on time"
The frame is extremely bent, it's been declared a total loss. I may part it out and sell off what I can. It's been a battle with the insurance, but at least I had a witness and a good police report.

VIDEOS OF THE CAR BEFORE :

https://youtu.be/DbLqGelaLYA

https://youtu.be/5mg3svr024A
Glad you walked away with no injuries. The car can be replaced. As for the phone and the woman, you can't fix stupid.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by M4A3E2
My car is bright green and sure is distinctive... and I spun out on Monday when I had to slam on the brakes at 45mph because someone decided not to look when they were turning! Maybe I should look into installing a less quiet horn..

How does someone even miss a giant, yellow truck?
The simple answer is: people aren't looking. It really doesn't matter how loud your horn is, or how bright your car is. This is from a woman who was LOOKING RIGHT AT ME and turned directly into me. Her answer 'I didn't see you'.

Cellphones and other distractions are contributing factors but in my opinion, the real issue is the lack of accountability. At least here in the northeast, people couldn't care less if they hit you. 'That's what insurance is for' is a very common saying up here. They view a collision as an opportunity to get a new car.

OP: I am sincerely sorry to hear about this and I hope that the insurance company can do you right and get you back into another C3
Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,377 Likes on 3,955 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I drive a stock but GIANT red F250 long bed. Its got to be 20 feet long, loud and obnoxious. Stock lift its got to be over 2 feet off the ground to the frame. I had a guy this past monday decide he was going to change lanes, under my front end. As he started to change lanes i just laid on my horn, i couldnt see the roll of his trunk down to the tail lights, he was that close. Dont know how he didnt hit me. He just kept coming and didnt care or see me until my license plate filled his rear view mirror. Theyre just stupid. Thanos needs to snap his fingers for them

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
F22 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM
68C3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peyc2
Very sad to see. Who is your insurance with? Did you have agreed value. I am just curious to see how you make out.

If this were me, with all that history with the family and the car, I would rebuild it. But thats me. You need to do what you need to do.

Best of luck.
I'm insured through Hagerty Classic Car Ins, but I didn't want to get them involved as it was not my fault and my rates would go up if their Attorney's got involved. The insured was through Geico, not a great company, has a very poor rating here in California, this is my second time dealing with them in a car their insured totaled of mine. They are a pain to deal with , I always have to move up tot he supervisor level to get a competent person and then I have to get that person to understand I have a legal background and that I have had discussions with the California State Insurance Comissioner's office---unfortunately it takes a lot of back and forth to get them to understand that you aren't going down easy and that you are not someone to F--K with.

I'll add to this thread the outcome when it's over.......

Last edited by 68C3; 05-02-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Sorry for your loss and glad you are OK.
Scott
Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

For all the over the top safety gadgets that are required equipment on new vehicles today, I'm baffled why a cell phone jammer isn't one of them. Want to use your phone? Simple, rorate the key counterclockwise till the engine shuts down.
20mercury (05-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To My 68 destroyed !!

Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

I am curious what the insurance company values the car at and pays out. Not trying to pry into your affairs. Just wondering what insurance company's value these cars at and settle on. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 68C3
I'm insured through Hagerty Classic Car Ins, but I didn't want to get them involved as it was not my fault and my rates would go up if their Attorney's got involved. The insured was through Geico, not a great company, has a very poor rating here in California, this is my second time dealing with them in a car their insured totaled of mine. They are a pain to deal with , I always have to move up tot he supervisor level to get a competent person and then I have to get that person to understand I have a legal background and that I have had discussions with the California State Insurance Comissioner's office---unfortunately it takes a lot of back and forth to get them to understand that you aren't going down easy and that you are not someone to F--K with.

I'll add to this thread the outcome when it's over.......
Your uninsured/under insured coverage should cover the difference between the paltry sum Geico is likely to offer and your agreed value. If Haggerty determines the other party is 100% at fault, it should not affect your insurance rates. With a witness and a "good police report", that shouldn't be an issue. Have Haggerty pay the claim and subrogate from Geico. Haggerty will argue with Geico about the value of the car and they have lots of comps and appraisers. Call Haggerty with a hypothetical question.

Glad you weren't hurt.

I had a wreck many years ago with a uninsured motorist who my insurance company (Progressive) determined was 100% at fault. Progressive paid 100% of the damage to my car at the body shop of my choosing and it didn't affect my rates at all because I had no liability for the damage.

Last edited by Kevin68; 05-02-2019 at 11:23 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kevin68:
68C3 (05-02-2019), EarlyC34me (05-03-2019), Metalhead140 (05-02-2019), Stats (05-03-2019), suprspooky (05-06-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Damn! Glad you aren't injured.

Looks like the engine is already out of the car? Or is it in her front seat? :-)
68C3 (05-02-2019)

Quick Reply: My 68 destroyed !!