Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you are okay .
The following users liked this post:
68C3 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Take the settlement money or a portion and go on vacation with your family to somewhere your uncle would have enjoyed. It is lucky you are able to talk about the accident at all. It could have been a faitful dark moment for your family if you were t boned judging by the force of impact.
Maybe a cruise or flight to Europe. Call it a corvette retrospective mission.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts

If Haggerty determines the other party is 100% at fault, it should not affect your insurance rates. With a witness and a "good police report", that shouldn't be an issue. Have Haggerty pay the claim and subrogate from Geico. Haggerty will argue with Geico about the value of the car and they have lots of comps and appraisers.

That is good advice.

As for you and your car, your welfare is #1 - as my father used to say "Things can be replaced, but people cannot be replaced." I know the loss of your car is horrible, but it's even worse that she is lying to save her skin. I had the very same thing happen to me when a lady came to a dead stop in a parking lot, and then reversed right into my front end as I was about to tunr into a spot. She gushed apologies then, but later reversed course when talking to her insurance agent. Luckily my physics training (I'm an engineer by trade) came in handy and I has taken cell phone pics on the spot. I did not let her move the car until I was done, and by the marks and scrapes we acertained that she was moving and I was not and the insurance company paid off.

I never thought of the red/green light thing you mentioned. Thanks for informing us on that. Did you take any cell phone pics of the accident scene - I hope they nail that lying #$%@#$# good.
EarlyC34me (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Brother, sorry to see this loss especially with the car's history, but glad you're OK.
What color is the car? Is it actually Silver? It looks light blue in the pics.
Greg
Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 PM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Very sad to see. Especially due to personal connection with the car. Glad you are ok. I worry about this since I drive my car regularly when I’m finished working on it.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dalton
Do I guess you were on two wheels? From the time we're first being told about how to cross the street, the instructions are, "Look both ways for cars." When looking for cars, bikes of either variety do not register in the brain of one who is looking for 'cars'. There was a study done where the subjects were watching a basketball game. They were told to count the number of times the ball was passed. At one point a person dressed in a gorilla suit walked across the court. The gorilla wasn't 'seen' by many of those in the experiment. So she was right, she looked right through you. It's scary out there, ya just gotta know that if you're on two wheels 'they' are out to kill you.
Make sure your insurance company gets her phone records, if she was on her phone at the time that's more evidence that she wasn't paying attention and an additional ticket
Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not familiar with the "texting while driving" enforcement laws in other states, but Illinois passed a new law, effective July 1st 2019 that makes "texting while driving" a moving violation.
https://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Te...ml?jwsource=em
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I have Hagerty Agreed Value. I’d have them cut me a check and move on. Let them fight with Geico. You must be some kind of masochist to want to spend time fighting with Geico.

Retired lawyer here, and you couldn’t pay me to fight with an insurance company anymore.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Man that is hard to look at especially with its family history. I am glad you walked away. I agree that most people just don't give a S>>> anymore." It's only a car its how old? you repaired it yourself, what would you do that? Well it was time for you to get a new one anyway".

Maybe its because I am getting old but the quality of driving skills has been on a steep decline. Just bad drivers everywhere, veering out of lanes no signals and just oblivious. When you honk at them after they just cut you off they look at you like your crazy.

Good luck If you have the space save it and it will make an nice project at some point and you can preserve the family history!!! Ike
Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Believe me, I know the feeling.

Glad you are not seriously hurt. Car can be fixed.
if you do sell, I could use the back half.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 131 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OP , I hope it all turns out well for you, and glad you not hurt......

Here is our story....

about 7 years ago wife got slammed at 45 mph in line at a stop light.....car totalled.....she to hospital, but lucky just black and blue all over, nothing broken.....she hurt BAD for about 6 weeks.....

a year or so later her son, on way to work, got hit at same ~45 mph speed at an intersection, guy blew a stop sign at speed.....

same son in another/replacement pickup going down the road, some bitch to his left, swerves left into her driveway, right in front of him he doing maybe 35........she had 3 kids in the car......

3 vehicles in great operating condition totalled in 4 years or so....NONE of witch our fault.....

ALL of them due to texting, how effing blind can someone BE to not see stopped traffic in front of them?? or blow a stop sign at speed?? or turn right smack in front of someone??

BTW, every one of them was an illegal......one of them got clean away, but we did our own detective work and found out who what.....not that the .gov cared.....
Rescue Rogers (05-07-2019)

Quick Reply: My 68 destroyed !!