wheel dollies

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 361 Posts

Default wheel dollies

hello friends ,im thinking about getting a set of these ,anyone have these and do you like them ,I see they sell 10 inch ,and also 12 inch what is the difference? Bill
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are they a good brand name? As I'm sure you know, dollies are all about the quality of the castor bearings and wheels. I bought 4 of the less expensive type from a Harbour Freight type vendor. I'd say I got what I paid for but I actually I got less. I mostly use them separately as platform type rollers because they're almost useless for rolling a vehicle around. It's not a case of a few bad apples. All 16 of the castors on mine are terrible. They won't change direction unless I use a pipe wrench to twist all of the wheels around to the direction I want to go. Takes two people just to push a car in a straight line and even then it can be a struggle. Definitely a case of buy quality or don't buy at all.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I was surprised to read the reply above, because I also bought the Harbor Freight dollies, and they work great. Made a simple job of spinning our car in circles when we converted the front half of the garage into a paint booth. While it`s true I have bought pure worthless junk from that store, most of it was related to electric motors. But their hydraulic and mechanical stuff has held up and worked fine for us.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:52 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I agree that it is all about the quality of the casters regardless of the brand or style you buy. I use heavy duty steel plate wheel dollies for mine and they work like a charm. Mine are not the hydraulic ones, I am old school I guess, I just jack my car up onto the steel ones and move it at my leisure.
Good luck with your decision and selection.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

One thing you NEVER buy from HF is cutting tools-drill bits...
Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have the Go-Jak brand and they are awesome! Not cheap, but worth every cent!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought a set of 2 the Harbor Freight mechanical (not hydraulic) wheel jack/dollies and liked them so much I bought 2 more. They work great in my new garage.....almost too great! The car will roll with the slope of the garage floor sometimes so I have to be careful and aware. My garage floor is finished very smooth so that might be why it's so easy. It has cut stress lines. I imagine if the floor were a rougher texture with finished stress lines they might be hard to move around with a car loaded up,.So far, so good!!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I was surprised they were so bad too. Mine were from a store here in Ontario but they have the same stuff Harbour freight does. All 16 are crap so maybe a bad batch of castors slipped through at the factory? One thing I've learned is don't buy stuff like that unless you're ready to use it. I had the dollies too long to take them back or I would have.

Originally Posted by oldgto
I was surprised to read the reply above, because I also bought the Harbor Freight dollies, and they work great. Made a simple job of spinning our car in circles when we converted the front half of the garage into a paint booth. While it`s true I have bought pure worthless junk from that store, most of it was related to electric motors. But their hydraulic and mechanical stuff has held up and worked fine for us.

Last edited by army; 04-20-2019 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oldgto (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:42 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

To OP, I'm assuming how wide of a tire they accomedate.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel dollies

Quick Reply: wheel dollies