Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first 1975 Corvette C3 barn find newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome, that was my cars original color. Good luck with your build, that looks like a nice starting point.
The following users liked this post:
jamiecantar (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 01:49 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

Don't use WD-40. Get Marvelous Mystery Oil to lube the cylinders before trying to start it up. Let it soak for a few days then take a socket wrench and put it on the balancer bolt and see if you can turn the crank before proceeding. After you determine the engine is not seized up it's just a matter of getting fuel and spark.
Good luck - you adventure is just starting.
The following users liked this post:
jamiecantar (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They make fogging oil, engine builders use it all the time.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:42 PM
jamiecantar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay so today, I put the 1978 Z28 5 spoke chevy rally rims and they fit...just if anyone was interested...their on temporarily, while i do the restoration :-)

Also, when I had to jack the car to swap tires i did a better inspection all round under the car because i didnt really do that at time of purchase, circumstances were hard...I noticed the frame rails (rocker channels) that run along under the doors are pretty rusted out in spots and probably wont pass certification. Funny enough every other area of the frame looks good, just the rocker channels under the doors on both sides. Looks like the car had been undercoated with black tar maybe from factory.

My question is can the rocker channels be fixed without taking the whole car and body apart? Can a shop weld in two new rocker channels? to pass safety? thats all this car needs. I think. Any help?...see attachment pic on where its rusted out...thx - jamie

Last edited by jamiecantar; 04-07-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:18 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

Rusted through or just surface rust? If it's rusted through then the body will have to come off as you can only see a portion of the frame rail and if it's rusted though where you can see the parts you can't will be bad too. If those are rusted through I'd hate to see what the birdcage looks like.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
if it's rusted though where you can see the parts you can't will be bad too. If those are rusted through I'd hate to see what the birdcage looks like.
Sadly, this is typically true. These things worst nightmare is the rust in hidden areas. If the part you can see is bad.... chances are high that the hidden parts will be just as bad, or worse.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiecantar
Sellar mentioned squirting WD40? any harm in that? Tell you why, I spray it in the plug chambers to lube the cylinders and let it sit for the week...oops
Wow, thank you L-46 man, will report back when I get around this weekend to try it... cheers :-)
I prefer using other types of oil for that purpose but it wouldn’t hurt. Basically just getting oil into the bore and onto the top ring lands to help free everything up. I personally would use ATF but WD40 shouldn’t hurt. If you put oil into the combustion chamber you want to roll the engine over with the plugs out at first so you dont possibly hydrolock the motor.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,367 Likes on 3,953 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

post pics of the rust. If it was sitting in a barn with a dirt floor the frame could have rusted from the bottom up and the birdcage could have survived
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM
jamiecantar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The channels have surface rust, also a hole here and there, but mainly rust on the rocker channel frame. Maybe like some said, because that part of the frame is closer to the ground, the moisture in the soil may have increased the deterioration of that area. where it was sitting for years was soil and not concrete...Also, i think if i remove the chrome rocker panels I should see more of the frame...the birdcage is under the body? I'll have to see if I can see it, maybe its rusted where it meets the frame...I'll take some pictures this week and post them...

thanks

Last edited by jamiecantar; 04-08-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiecantar
The channels have surface rust, also a hole here and there, but mainly rust on the rocker channel frame. Maybe like some said, because that part of the frame is closer to the ground, the moisture in the soil may have increased the deterioration of that area. where it was sitting for years was soil and not concrete...Also, i think if i remove the chrome rocker panels I should see more of the frame...the birdcage is under the body? I'll have to see if I can see it, maybe its rusted where it meets the frame...I'll take some pictures this week and post them...

thanks
Please post some photos. Also, search the forum for threads from other people with rust issues. Places to look include behind the kickpanels by your feet, and at the upturn of the frame in front of the rear wheels. The frame (chassis) is separate from the body. The body is the metal birdcage structure with the fiberglass attached. Since the VIN is riveted to the windshield frame, the birdcage is the car. The chassis can be repaired, or replaced with a used donor chassis, or even a new production (not cheap).

Unfortunately the 10 Rules for buying a Corvette lost the first post, but post 107 copies the first post in its entirety, including pictures of a bare birdcage.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orvette-5.html

Your best option might just be to enjoy the car (if the chassis is safe to drive), until you are ready for a frame-off restoration.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: my first 1975 Corvette C3 barn find newbie help