Sponsored by:

'79 Corvette questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
Default '79 Corvette questions

My friend has bought a 79 corvette most things seem OK. Doesn't seem to be any rust issues that I saw, no play in the steering. Parking brake not working (no surprise there). One front brake caliper may be leaking, but it didn't pull when driving, But I would still change all the fluid and bleed the brakes as the pedal was very spongy. Everything seems to be original from what I could tell except for the composite rear spring. (didn't check for matching numbers)
A couple of things seemed a little odd to me.
1- After the ignition is switched off the Tachometer seems to rise up. Reads fine when running. (probably no issue just seemed strange)
2- When in gear and driving if you put your foot down (easing it or mashing it) the engine dies. Any ideas on this? Its an Auto.
3- The trim tag in the door had been painted over. Does that indicate a respray? Or were they like that from the factory.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

1. May be normal for that year, see if others comment.
2. Could be a bad accelerator pump, with the engine off, looking down the primary carburetor bores, open the throttle by hand and see if you see gas squirting into both bores.
3, I would say it was repainted.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Mine does the same. The needle seems to stop at a random spot when you turn off the ignition but works fine when running.
2. Could be many things. Carb/fuel delivery, vacuum advance would be my first places to look.
3. Trim tag was not painted from factory.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Antz81
Pro

Thanks,
I didn't think there was anything to be concerned about with the tachometer.
He was told it was original paint but my gut told me otherwise, I guess I was right.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:09 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

1. Yeah, they either work or they don't and when they don't, 90% of the time its the tach board.
  2. I'm with Pat and would lean toward a vacuum leak
  3. In 1975-76, the tag booth was changed to a location between the paint booths and trim tags were painted...trust your friend's seller or whoever said paint is original. They were painted without primer so paint tends to flake easily.
Early C3 guys think all C3s were built the same but production changes were constant to accommodate the increase in production from 30k to 50k...think about it!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

The trim tag was painted. Paint did not adhere too well to the finish on the stainless steel and often it was peeled off.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Now ya'll have got me questioning my 79. I'd swear the trim tag is unpainted on mine. I'll have to stroll out to the garage and confirm. I do know mine is not original paint, but I was thinking the door jambs were original paint.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

1. I hadn't noticed my 79 auto doing goofy tach stuff, but it might. Grounds in the dash may have issues.
2. Accelerator pump(s) in the carb? Timing? Either way, search for Lars on this forum, and email him for copies of his timing papers, if search the forum doesn't fix it for you first.
3. As it was said, the trim tag is stainless, but was painted at the factory. The paint has come off both of my trim tags (79 and 80), but the original color paint is still in the centers of the rivets. Does the current color match the code on the trim tag? I found this site to be very helpful when decoding trim tags, checking engine numbers, etc.
http://corvettec3.ca/
Old 01-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Antz81
Pro

Originally Posted by Bikespace
1. I hadn't noticed my 79 auto doing goofy tach stuff, but it might. Grounds in the dash may have issues.
2. Accelerator pump(s) in the carb? Timing? Either way, search for Lars on this forum, and email him for copies of his timing papers, if search the forum doesn't fix it for you first.
3. As it was said, the trim tag is stainless, but was painted at the factory. The paint has come off both of my trim tags (79 and 80), but the original color paint is still in the centers of the rivets. Does the current color match the code on the trim tag? I found this site to be very helpful when decoding trim tags, checking engine numbers, etc.
http://corvettec3.ca/
Since it's nnot my car, but everything electrical seems to work fine I'm not concerned about the tach. I believe my friend is going to get his mechanic to take a look at the engine and give it a good tune up since it needs one. All the numbers on the tag match, I'd never seen a painted tag before. The tag on my 81 has no paint left on it at all.

Last edited by Antz81; 01-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:34 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Antz81
The tag on my 81 has no paint left on it at all.
1981 Bowling Green cars did not have painted trim tags. But ironically, St Louis cars in 1981 did! Go figure. Again, it has to do with the location of the trim tag station where the tags were attached...after body paint.

Get notified of new replies

To '79 Corvette questions

Quick Reply: '79 Corvette questions