Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good is A/C in 68-72 models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Now is the time to get it repaired. Winter months the A/C business is slow and they are looking for work (if they're not in Florida). When it warms up in spring, the price to repair goes UP!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:53 AM
David in NC
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had working factory AC, and converted it to r134a. Don't expect it to function like a modern car AC. Unless you at least upgrade the blower motor it won't do the trick, even with, and especially without, Dynamat or similar heat shielding. Too much heat coming off the engine, even if a small block. Also, in hot climate, unless you want to be always checking the temp gauge, you will want to upgrade to an aluminum radiator. And then once you are no longer concerned about 100% originality, you might as well have gone with a modern aftermarket system.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:52 AM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hig116
As I continue my search for a chrome bumper c3, I'm curious to know what everyone's opinion is about A/C. I live in the South and A/C has been a requirement of mine when searching. Lately I've started to wonder just how good the A/C is in this old of a car to make it a requirement. I mean, I have passed up looking at a lot of cars due to them not having A/C and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have.

Does A/C work well in these cars? Is it problematic? Should I make it a requirement?

I know is up to me to decide, but I would hate to make it a requirement and then learn that the A/C in these model years doesn't offer much and it wasn't worth it after all.

Thanks in advance,
Keith
As the owner of a non AC '72 convertible, I've always wondered how hot those AC equipped cars' interiors must get without the benefit of fresh air vents coming up from the floors. Even though mine is a small block, the cockpit areas down by your feet & legs get awfully hot. My fresh air vents are always open in order to keep the interior comfortable. Not sure if I would be happy if I didn't have that ability. (AC cars are not equipped with these floor vents).

I must admit though, most of my warm weather driving is done with the top down. In reality, the only time AC would be necessary would be when it's hot and rainy. Those days I avoid. When it's excessively hot, which does happen here in Michigan, (last summer we had over 30 above 90* days), I use my daily driver. When I was shopping for a C3, the only mandatory item was it be a convertible. I wanted 4spd (which I got), and presumed I wanted air, (which I did not). Neither were deal breakers if they weren't included.
In hindsight, I'm glad I did not get a car with AC, solely because of the fresh air function I mentioned. Good luck.

Last edited by seacliffe301; 12-16-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default One more thing, I forgot, which is good to know.

Originally Posted by 20mercury
IMHO, Vintage Air will cool better than the original A6 compressor and a/c setup in the early C3's. Also plan on upgrading your radiator to DeWitts. You could bake cookies on the console in my big block 68 in the Louisiana summertime even after sealing all air leaks; installed Vintage Air and all is good!!! Check Vintage Air website for downloadable PDF instructions and do it yourself. And if you install Vintage Air you can look at any Corvette for possible purchase. Really makes me wonder how we survived w/o a/c in cars in the sixties?? dang, get this car moving, so we can get some air!!! and who would roll the windows up in the summertime? unless it was raining.
One more thing, I forgot, which is good to know. In order to get the best possible cooling with Vintage Air, you have to follow the charging directions from VA 100%. You have to set up several fans, in front of the radiator, etc, etc, to get the full 134a charge (28+oz, I want to remember) in. Otherwise you get a partial charge and so not the full cooling capacity. Some a/c techs told me you do not have to go to all this trouble, but you actually do. I charged mine with HF vac pump, and HF gauges, weighed empty and full cans with a mail scale, pulled vac per VA instructions, etc. and all worked great. Just ask me how I learned all of this? of course the "hard" way by not fully following the directions and getting a partial charge and so partial cooling the first time, ha! And of course you have to seal all of the hot air leaks into the cockpit and insulate too. Hope this helps whichever way you go.

Last edited by 20mercury; 12-16-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Added Vintage Air in my non-AC 72 coupe...

Last edited by MakoShark72; 12-17-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by VERYSOON
Although the 1969 brochure indicates a/c not available for 427 I find 427/390hp cars to be listed with factory a/c. Just wanted to make that correction. I was curious as to why GM would not offer a/c on the 390 horse 427 and found that they did!

Having seen and used the vintage install it really does look pretty factory inside the cockpit.

VS
Yep, My 69 427 390 hp car has factory ac. It hasnt been connected since I've owned it but its all there.

Quick Reply: How good is A/C in 68-72 models?