C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a having a C3 as a project car really like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Shann
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a having a C3 as a project car really like?

I've been looking for a project car for a long while now, and I really like the look of old C3's (especially 68-72/73). I also like the fact that they are fiberglass, so no rust (though I know fiberglass doesn't last forever either). How much time did your C3 take to get to the point where you were satisfied with it? And what was the process like for working on it? (ie: body work for ~ months, engine work for ~ weeks, etc). Also, if you are still currently working on one, what has the progress been like? And how is/was it a different experience than you had expected?

Last edited by Shann; 06-27-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 AM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

Great questions

There are a number of build threads here
I would recommend taking a look at them and getting a feel for what you would be up against
if you had to do different things
The other thing everyone here will tell you is that the biggest issue on these cars is rust
So educate yourself on birdcage and frame rust
I bought a 69 as a project that had too much birdcage rust to deal with cost effectively
I end up selling that car and finding one that didn't

Glenn in San Diego
here is my project thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-project.html

Last edited by gleninsandiego; 06-27-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Hi Matt. I am in the midst of a '68 Coupe project. It was truly a basket case - parts in bushel baskets - that I inherited from my Dad. I have had it for 7 years and progressed very slowly. I have a very limited budget and time, so it is moving extremely slowly. Other considerations are a place to work and leave things be between work sessions. I have done several other projects and find the Vette quite a challenge form others I have done. Vette parts can be pricey, systems are complex. If this is a first project, unless you are very mechanically inclined I would recommend something else. Vettes may be fiberglass, but the do rust. Frames and birdcages are very open to corrosion and can be very difficult to deal with and repair. Study the page of things to consider before buying a Vette and pass over the many project threads here on the forum - you will see first hand the amount of work that goes into one. Also, you mention liking the 68-72/73s -chrome bumper years best. Great choice, and my personal favorite, but also the most expensive to start with. You may want to find a later "rubber bumper" car that can be purchased more reasonably, drive it for a while and get to know the unique aspects of a Vette before you make the dive into getting a project car. Not to be discouraging, but there is a lot to consider. If you do get one, this forum is a great place for help. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:56 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,221 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Shann
I've been looking for a project car for a long while now, and I really like the look of old C3's (especially 68-72/73). I also like the fact that they are fiberglass, so no rust (though I know fiberglass doesn't last forever either).
How much time did your C3 take to get to the point where you were satisfied with it? My project car was a basket case. The plan was to have it completed in a year but Life had different plans.
And what was the process like for working on it? (ie: body work for ~ months, I estimate about 200 hours in body/fiberglass/interior work by the time it is complete.
engine work for ~ weeks, etc The drivetrain was in good condition/about 40 hours to complete. The suspension and brake system needed a complete rebuild/about 80 hours to complete. Since I did all the work myself I will pay a shop to paint the car since I have no painting skills ).
Also, if you are still currently working on one, what has the progress been like? It has taken over 4 years in my case (every project is different/Life events can cause delays)
And how is/was it a different experience than you had expected? I learned that a person has to be sure it's something he/she will stick with. Also....I knew nothing about car projects when I started working my project car. This Forum has been a great help, and I have many Forum friends to thank for everything I have learned.
On the other hand.....other Forum members have finished their projects in much less time. Wait for other Members to give you their advice.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Having a project car is like working on a 2000 piece puzzle with a few pieces missing! You get some satisfaction when you find some pieces that fit together; but you can never quite get it completely done. There's always something more needed to finish it.

The 'crafty' project worker figures out how to make the vehicle functional and enjoyable....even without those finishing touches.

P.S. Puzzles aren't nearly as expensive a hobby....
Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I also like the fact that they are fiberglass, so no rust...
All C3s have steel frames and an underbody structure (birdcage) which can (and do) rust. Beginning in 76, they have steel floor pans and tranny humps.

A project can sometimes mean a lot of time spent wishing you could be driving the car instead of trying to get it running.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-27-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been looking for a project car for a long while now, and I really like the look of old C3's (especially 68-72/73). I also like the fact that they are fiberglass, so no rust (though I know fiberglass doesn't last forever either). How much time did your C3 take to get to the point where you were satisfied with it? And what was the process like for working on it? (ie: body work for ~ months, engine work for ~ weeks, etc). Also, if you are still currently working on one, what has the progress been like? And how is/was it a different experience than you had expected?
So I fall into the "still working on it" category. Got my C3 a few years ago as a running car, but wanted it to be faster so did a complete engine overhaul within the first year. Long story short, you pretty much NEVER stop working on these cars. Case in point: I finally got the car to a point where I was ok with just driving it for a while and enjoying it. This was just last week. Only drove it a few miles, and felt an awful wheel wobble. Turns out my rear wheel bearing separated. That's on me for not checking the bearing end play, but now I'm in for a full trailing arm rebuild before I can drive it again,
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree, check out doorgunner's project thread.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
On the other hand.....other Forum members have finished their projects in much less time. Wait for other Members to give you their advice.

Agree, check out doorgunner's thread, an inspiration to everyone!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Time and money are the limiting factors on most of these projects. Invest as much time and effort as you can now learning about these cars and then go find your car, Learning about the rust issues is extremely important as that knowledge can save you many thousands of dollars down the road. Also try to decide if you want an original car with all correct components or a modified car with hotter engine , modified suspension etc. Once you get the car the fun begins. The good news is that most everything you need is available although some things are pricey.
Relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:03 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 211 Posts

let me comment from a personal point of view vs a project scope point of view.

1. don't do it for the money, or to just break even.. ain't gonna happen.

2. go thru the cost estimate and always add 50%.

3. plan on hundreds of hours in front of your computer searching ebay and parts vendors and the inevitable gray hair that come with the occasional transaction horror.

4. have a wife, work lots of overtime, kid in sports? plan on kissing them all good bye for a year or 2. or expand your timetable by 200%.

5. planning on farming alot of the work out? change that 50% I declared above to 100%.

6. need a 3 car garage and plenty of tools.

7. don't play the numbers game unless you really know what you are doing. those 300$ air cleaner wing nuts are big morale killers.

Good Luck!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:16 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you have to deal with rust in the bird cage and body mounts.....all of the systems are pretty simple and lend themselves to being worked on. and when finished you can drive the car on modern roads and highways with out being intimidated. the brakes are very good. there is an ample supply of parts suppliers and all the components are readily available. and working on the parking brakes is feat worthy of bragging about.....good luck.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:31 AM
rickimvette
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Best is new and used parts are relatively easy to find. Also this site is fantastic for not only general information but the knowledge and help by selfless people.
Makes owning and working on 45+ year old cars much easier
Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

I used to play golf, I sucked, but I played. It was the most frustrating and expensive endeavor I could imagine. Every time I was at that point where I was ready to put the clubs down and walk away forever, nearly always on the course during a round, I would hit the most beautiful, text book perfect shot, the joy of which would suck me back in. I vividly remember the last time it happened. I was playing a links style course in Northern Nevada and laid my second shot on the fringe on a Par 5 hole. Beautiful shot off of the fairway with a 2 wood that just couldn't have been any better. I went on the 3 put and Par that hole but that one fairway shot was enough. That shot made me so happy that I vowed I would never quite the game. I chased another shot like that for 10 years before I finally gave up that evil game. So, why am I telling you this? Working on the Corvette can be almost as bad, at times. It all depends upon your starting point. I worked on mine for 8 or 9 years, as time and money would allow, stopping many times in total frustration, swearing that the GM engineers intentionally made the car difficult to work on. Then, one day, still not complete, I drove the car, and that was enough, sucked me back in and energized me to keep working. The point, and in response to your question, it can be frustrating, and expensive, but the wins are wonderful and worth it. Good luck with your decision.

Bryan
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

120 days or so ago I took the reins on a 66k mile 1 owner 75 coupe. Running/driving fine with no frame or rust issues. Cosmetically/mechanically 99% original.

Not a project car but I made it one. I took literally EVERY mechanical part off the car and replaced or rebuilt it. It’s now a restomod light. The sole exception would be the diff although I changed the fluid and installed a drain plug. Now it’s running/driving how I like and I can focus on refreshing/upgrading the interior.

A C3 project car is like any other. It’s an obsession. However most other vintage cars don’t have a forum like this one to provide nearly instant answers to any and all questions.

Last edited by Kie; 06-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM
BlueL82
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Most reproduction parts are a pain! When the car was built the parts were meant to last, parts today just don't cut it.

Also, when you're done working for the day, always end on a good note! Don't get greedy!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You have great taste! I also prefer the older C3's and eventually jumped down the rabbit hole and acquired my '72. This is my 1st ever car project, but a bucket list item since I was young. I am in the midst of a complete body-off mild restomod plan... every nut, bolt, part, and body panel will get some attention. Some random thoughts from that perspective for you...
  • I am mechanically inclined, but not overly so, and have not found anything yet on my project that I could not figure out.
  • You will spend a lot of hours on a project of this scope if that's what you have in mind. Most of these cars need it though since they are nearly 50 years old. I haven't bothered to keep track of my hours, but I'm about 5 years in. It will take double the time I had hoped for, mostly because life/family/kids are important to me too. I'm back at it after what felt like a short hiatus, but measured nearly 2 years somehow.
  • You will spend even more time researching how to do something that actually doing it. Great resources are out there though, especially this forum.
  • Rust is still a concern. Repairing bird cage rust could force you to remove the front clip and firewall for example. They are glued together so separating them from the car is not just undoing some bolts. The repairs will involve welding. My bird cage was fine (my car spent it's life in Arizona) but my frame still needed some attention, so I taught myself how to weld and did it... just another step in the process, but I've enjoyed each step along the way except for.....
  • I've not enjoyed removing the body's paint at all... a huge time sink and PITA to me. Blasting and chemical stripping are both risky for fiberglass, so that leaves mechanical stripping.... hours upon hours of hand sanding and/or scraping with a razor blade. The sexy contours of the car are not so enjoyable now either since you have to carefully work around them to preserve their look.
  • Removing the paint has revealed problems that I didn't know were there.... lots of fiberglass repair is my next step after the paint is completely removed.
If you decide to join us down the rabbit hole, first step is to decide what kind of project you want.... NCRS numbers matching route and all that entails or not. Then buy the best condition project you can find and afford which matches that plan. You're ideally after no rust, so research how to inspect for that. Minimal if any fiberglass damage would be nice too.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever seen the movie or read the book "Christine" by Steven King. It's a lot like that. I have pushed that damned car around the yard many times, but I love it.

It will depend on what you start with and what you want in the end.

I will never be satisfied with it, there will always be something I can make better.
The process can be satisfying or maddening it just depends on what goes wrong.
When I bought it I never expected to completely disassemble it, but the as long as I'm this far monster found me.

If you get a project car you will become very familiar with Murphy's Law.

Get notified of new replies

To What is a having a C3 as a project car really like?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
4. have a wife, work lots of overtime, kid in sports? plan on kissing them all good bye for a year or 2. or expand your timetable by 200%.
7. don't play the numbers game unless you really know what you are doing. those 300$ air cleaner wing nuts are big morale killers.
Most of these were spot on, but #4 & #7 weren`t true for me.
4.....My wife & kids always helped work on the old cars, and we worked around our schedules. A "hobby" has no "time-table". If & when we finish a car, we`re just going to go buy another hulk & start over anyway.
7.....There are bargains out there, you just have to look. On-line, swap meets, forums. Even suitable substitutes at the local store. I`m not talking about duct tape & bailing wire either. But a $300 wing nut doesn`t work any better than an 80 cent stainless steel nut from the hardware store. UNLESS you`re planning a point judged fully correct nut & bolt restoration. But we`re talking a "project" car that will one day be a "driver".
Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
Most of these were spot on, but #4 & #7 weren`t true for me.
4.....My wife & kids always helped work on the old cars, and we worked around our schedules. A "hobby" has no "time-table". If & when we finish a car, we`re just going to go buy another hulk & start over anyway.
7.....There are bargains out there, you just have to look. On-line, swap meets, forums. Even suitable substitutes at the local store. I`m not talking about duct tape & bailing wire either. But a $300 wing nut doesn`t work any better than an 80 cent stainless steel nut from the hardware store. UNLESS you`re planning a point judged fully correct nut & bolt restoration. But we`re talking a "project" car that will one day be a "driver".
I chose my 75 Convertible because the frame and birdcage was rust free. I could have bought a couple different chrome bumper cars in my price range, but they weren't anywhere as solid as this car. The amount of work and cost would have been much higher than my 75, even though I have done a frame off on the 75.

Mike
Old 06-27-2018, 03:09 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

Shann- you have already received a lot of good advice. I'll add my $0.02 and hope it helps you in your decision. You are smart to evaluate what can be a major change in how you spend your free time and extra $$$ and if you have a family, how it will affect your family life. What is your objective? Is it to have a project to test your problem-solving skills, test your patience or is it to have a car to actually drive on weekends? Do you have good garage space and lots of tools to do the work? Do you have the extra $$ to spend on a car that will always seem to need one more part or one more repair? If you have a wife and family are they as enthusiastic about owning a Corvette or will the car take time away from your family and cause a problem? I hope you can have answers to these questions before you start. Anyway- pick a general type of body style and level of quality that you want and a price that you can afford. Be patient- there are a lot of Vettes on the market, so don't jump at the first one you see. Unless you buy one completely restored, plan on a lot of $$ for parts and repairs after the initial purchase. I wanted a metal bumper C3 convertible with big block, 4-speed and no P/S, no P/B, no A/C. I wanted the body and paint work to be done and interior in decent shape. Did not care about mechanical stuff that could be either replaced or re-built, including engine work, since I have the space to do the work and have the previous experience to do the work. I looked for about 6 months and bought a 68 convert with a NOM 454 that had all of the cosmetics done. As a bonus, the engine, trans, clutch and rear end did not require work. I spent $25K three years ago and have spent another $25K to rebuild the front suspension, work out electrical problems, upgrade brakes, modify engine internal parts, etc. It took a year to get the car to the point of being a weekend driver. So I have a car with $50k invested that I could sell for maybe $35k. But it was fun (mostly) doing the work and I have a decent weekend driver that gets a lot of waves from other drivers. Hope you can find the car that fits your needs. Good luck.

Quick Reply: What is a having a C3 as a project car really like?