C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there technology out there that can improve my sound system choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:12 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Is there technology out there that can improve my sound system choice?

When I bought my car it had one of those cheap Retrosound radios in it and it was broken. I kept the faceplate and removed the main chassis so it would look good. Fast forward, I had an install shop put some of those prefabbed custom 6x9 boxes in the top rear corners of my car and installed the Alpine S-S69 speakers with the Alpine KT-445U amp. I refrained from changing out or modifying my gorgeous bezel due to cost so they set my system up with a Bluetooth adapter and 3.5mm aux jack so I can stream audio from my Samsung S7. It works fine but the volume is too low for me even with the gains turned up on the amp and phone. Also there is a lack of bass and highs as well. To be honest it just sounds weak across the spectrum. Is there any technoloy out there that can give me a better sounding system by streaming with a cell phone without the use of a head unit?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

I use a "Kenwood KAC-M1824BT" bluetooth amp to play from my Sammy phone.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

C3s especially 68 to 77 coupes or convertibles are very acoustically challenged,
Roadsters being the worse, the bubble butt rear glass can do better,

If you hunt a thread about stereo prayers answered he has the ion rear speaker box,
Its self powered and amped, bluetooth ready,

Will it win sound awards? Likely no, but its a great bang for buck that you can use for other things,

I plan to grab one,
JohnnieUtah (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by riverracer au
I use a "Kenwood KAC-M1824BT" bluetooth amp to play from my Sammy phone.
I'm heading down to the pro shop tonight and listen to a Bluetooth amp. They did tell me that any source applied to the amp will be flat response. There is no equalization effort by the amp. Thus the advantage of having a head unit.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Louder exhaust?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

I finally found this for my 76, from another thread. Finally you can hear your tunes over loud exhaust/ tops off blowin down hwy! Plus you can keep your original radio in place for that stock look.This thing can get real loud!!Check it out .ION Roadwarrior

Last edited by gjohnson; 06-20-2018 at 10:12 PM.
caskiguy (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

but where do you put your T-tops and wifes bags?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
C3s especially 68 to 77 coupes or convertibles are very acoustically challenged,
Roadsters being the worse, the bubble butt rear glass can do better,

If you hunt a thread about stereo prayers answered he has the ion rear speaker box,
Its self powered and amped, bluetooth ready,

Will it win sound awards? Likely no, but its a great bang for buck that you can use for other things,

I plan to grab one,
Old 06-21-2018, 10:14 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I was fortunate that my seats were crap in my 74, so I replaced them with Fierro seats with 3.5" headrest speakers.
I also built a sub box that fit in my car jack box in the back. You can barely see it from outside the car, but adding an 8" sub to such a small cabin made a hell of a difference (see my profile for info).
I also replaced every speaker in my car with Kickers and added 1200 watts of amps across the back wall that you cannot see without sticking your head inside the car and looking for them.
I can still put my t-roofs in the back (in bags) and the car looks stock (except for the Sony deck I put in, I was not interested in keeping that old style looking radio, but that's a personal choice).

There are options, but putting a 6x9 speaker in a small box is not going to give you lots of sound. The speakers need a cabinet that is built to the specs of the speaker and those little boxes are not big enough.

You are going to need another AMP. to get more sound out of the deck you have. I have 2, 4 channel amps. 1 for the front speakers (upper and lower) and 1 for the Sub (bridged) and the other side for the speakers in my seats. I can hear everything even driving down the road with the t-roofs off.

Mine is a little excessive but it's what I like to do.
The whole system cost me peanuts because I used points for the deck. Speakers where on sale thru fleabay. The sub I had pulled from my wife's car before she sold it. The amps were on points also. It took me several months to put it all together because I waited for sales before even using my points.

It's up to you on what you want to do for the correct sound experience.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Ken

Last edited by 74Ken; 06-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM
haze324
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I run a competition audio shop for Harleys, we've won quite a few major shows.
+1 on the comments above. You'll need more power than what that small Alpine amp can provide. Also the Bluetooth unit you are using makes a huge difference, on bikes with no radio we use the JL Audio Bluetooth because of the input voltage it provides the amp. If your Bluetooth signal is week and your amplifier is that small there's not much room to amplify sound sufficient for you to hear it. Even with a HU equalizer you are struggling but you can always add an aftermarket EQ.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Changing times.... never did i guess i would see harley guys competing with....stereos

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-21-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Boom, Boom, Boom. Self powered boom box.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Louder exhaust?
The sweet V8 music is all I need!

I'll probably put a subwoofer in the passenger side cargo compartment in my wife's car. She likes listening to music. Here's a good thread for that (not on this site, so PM me if it gets deleted)

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=209761
JohnnieUtah (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Yep- the technology is called a CD- these sorta of mirror looking discs almost 5" in diameter...Actually came out a few years after the last C3 was produced.

No- really- the music on CDs contains uncompressed PCM stereo audio at 44100 Hz sample rate, 16-bit sample format. AKA as a WAV file

As I digress-gone are the days when no self respecting audiophile would use a remote control...and the speaker wire could also be used as jumper cables in a pinch.

EVER since somebody thought it was bragging rights to have a bagillion songs on their phone- audio quality has gone downhill...
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
gungatim (06-22-2018), JohnnieUtah (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

It turns my brain to mush.
Name:  photo268.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  220.4 KB
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM
haze324
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Yep- the technology is called a CD- these sorta of mirror looking discs almost 5" in diameter...Actually came out a few years after the last C3 was produced.

No- really- the music on CDs contains uncompressed PCM stereo audio at 44100 Hz sample rate, 16-bit sample format. AKA as a WAV file

As I digress-gone are the days when no self respecting audiophile would use a remote control...and the speaker wire could also be used as jumper cables in a pinch.

EVER since somebody thought it was bragging rights to have a bagillion songs on their phone- audio quality has gone downhill...

While I agree on paper regarding music quality, the catch is that unless you a have a stereo system that can reproduce that level of sound quality what you lose is marginal at best when you compare a CD vs. some of the Hi-Def streaming apps.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:32 AM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by haze324
I run a competition audio shop for Harleys, we've won quite a few major shows.
+1 on the comments above. You'll need more power than what that small Alpine amp can provide. Also the Bluetooth unit you are using makes a huge difference, on bikes with no radio we use the JL Audio Bluetooth because of the input voltage it provides the amp. If your Bluetooth signal is week and your amplifier is that small there's not much room to amplify sound sufficient for you to hear it. Even with a HU equalizer you are struggling but you can always add an aftermarket EQ.
Thanks for the input. The shop installed a Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth so I suspect it is a quality choice. I ordered some speakers for the kick panel area and hopefully it will round out the sound and be more pleasing. I don't need to win any competitions I just want some decent sounding tunes. Oldies music never really had much thump

Get notified of new replies

To Is there technology out there that can improve my sound system choice?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

You have a power 'booster' rather than an amp. It will boost output from another system "150 %", according to the info. It provides 45W to each of 4 channels. Or it can provide 90W to each of 2 channels, if you 'bridge' the outputs. That should be plenty of power to blow your doors off. BUT!!! They sold you very high power and inefficient speakers!!! (240W; 4 ohms impedance speakers) So there is a big mismatch between the amp you have and the speakers attached to it.

If you are just wanting to reproduce 2-channel stereo sound, you need to swap-out (or RETURN) those 4 ohm speakers for a couple of 2 ohm speakers which can handle 150 watts RMS (or somewhat higher). Then you need to bridge the outputs of that amp so that you have only TWO output channels...each with 2 ohm impedance, but with double the power.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-22-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You have a power 'booster' rather than an amp. It will boost output from another system "150 %", according to the info. It provides 45W to each of 4 channels. Or it can provide 90W to each of 2 channels, if you 'bridge' the outputs. That should be plenty of power to blow your doors off. BUT!!! They sold you very high power and inefficient speakers!!! (240W; 4 ohms impedance speakers) So there is a big mismatch between the amp you have and the speakers attached to it.

If you are just wanting to reproduce 2-channel stereo sound, you need to swap-out (or RETURN) those 4 ohm speakers for a couple of 2 ohm speakers which can handle 150 watts RMS (or somewhat higher). Then you need to bridge the outputs of that amp so that you have only TWO output channels...each with 2 ohm impedance, but with double the power.
Thank you for your information. I noticed the Alpine S-S69's are 90dB sensitivity rated. That's not too shabby but there are others out there with up to 93dB rating. Swapping out for one of those would be like doubling my amp's power output. Do have a recommendation for an efficient 2 ohm rated 6x9 speaker?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by haze324
While I agree on paper regarding music quality, the catch is that unless you a have a stereo system that can reproduce that level of sound quality what you lose is marginal at best when you compare a CD vs. some of the Hi-Def streaming apps.

In addition its proven in a club people cant tell a record from a tape, vhs mp3 etc,
And some of these clubs have really nice systems,

Ive taken $$$ from audiophiles who thought they could...

So in the club world having any song you might need IS bragging rights

Ugh, slash "bragging rights" replace it with "important"

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there technology out there that can improve my sound system choice?