Sponsored by:

Body off question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:11 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Body off question

I really dislike the seperation lines between the rear exhaust panel and the body itself. Since I have sidepipes and the delete I wanted to glass it in to smooth the rear. Can I do that with the body off and get the body back on after? I know in the body removal checklist it says to remove that panel.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:24 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

What I've read is that if you do that you can't lower the body onto the frame with the body parallel to the frame, you have to tilt the front of the body upwards and then lower the rear of the body onto the frame with the body slightly farther back from where it will eventually be. Then when you've got the back of the body lowered close to the frame you have to tilt the front of the body back down, slide the body forward on the frame a bit and then you can put it all the way down.

The factory had the seperate exhaust filler panel so they could lower the body while it was parallel to the frame without any of the tilting and back and forth stuff but it can be done with the exhaust filler panel fiberglassed to the tail light panel.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Ok thx, ill take a look at the overhang before I take the body off to see just how much of the panel hangs under the frame. Maybe a little creative trimming not noticible from the outside might help. And help my under clearances for the dual battery boxes I need to build.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:26 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Jamess411
I really dislike the seperation lines between the rear exhaust panel and the body itself. Since I have sidepipes and the delete I wanted to glass it in to smooth the rear. Can I do that with the body off and get the body back on after? I know in the body removal checklist it says to remove that panel.

Is that your car? If so I have some questions.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I'm not an expert on this but I think it best to do as much bodywork as possible with the car sitting on the frame and tires. Things can be bent and twisted differently when the body is off the frame versus when its sitting on the frame and wheels. If you do the body work with the body off the car it may look right but when you put it back on the frame and wheels it might push things out of what was a nice looking alignment.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:29 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Vette

The gas tank is the primary reason for tilting the car when lifting the body off. With the panel off you can clear the tank easier. Also need to watch in the front by removing the distributor in some cases. Many will show body work being done off the frame, however for door gaps, hood alignment and other features it's best to have the body on the frame sitting on tires the way it will finally end up. Especially a vert!

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 04-02-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Yes, that is my car. Thx for the body advice. Will do lots of looking before i take it off. Luckily all my body gaps are excellent. Just need some repair on the rear quarter trim flanges where they mount inside the door opening and glassing the exhaust panel in before prep n paint
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Take the exhaust filler panel off. Replace it with a piece of cardboard. Now try to take the body off without ripping that piece of cardboard. Will give you an idea what you have to do to clear everything with it install and without damaging the filler panel.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Lots of great advice above!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Another question, since im getting rid of or reengineering most of the stuff attached to the firewall is there a structural issue with me smoothing out the firewall by cutting out ins and outs to reglass smooth?other then the brake master/pedal mount area I want to reshape everywhere else as flat as possible for more engine room.

Thx,

Jay
Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Oh and including the hood release mech areas. Im either going to completely hide the hood release or just hood pin it near the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Body off question

Quick Reply: Body off question