Sponsored by:

Tow hook for Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tow hook for Corvette

We all know what a hassle it is to have our cars towed if disabled on the road. After having this happen to me and watching the tow truck operator try to hook his cable to the rear of my 78 Pace Car without damaging the body panels to pull it up onto the flatbed truck, I knew I had to do something about this situation. He had to hook the cable to the end of my rear spring near the bushing. Not an ideal situation but it worked this time. After this experience I started looking for a solution online and found a flat tow hook sold by a company named OPM. It is made from 1/4 inch aluminum, light but strong enough to do the job. It cost $45.00. I mounted it to the bottom of the transverse rear spring plate after enlarging the holes that were predrilled to fit the bolts from the spring plate. Now I have the means to have my car towed if necessary without worrying about having the tow cable hooked to other parts of the car that were not meant to be used for this purpose. One note: this tow hook can't be used on Corvettes that still have the spare tire carrier on the car. It blocks access to the rear spring plate where the tow hook has to be mounted. But for all others this is the perfect solution to the problem of having your car towed without damaging any body panels or the rear bumper.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Anywhere on the front workable? Or would it kill the spoiler? I guess with our ground clearance we don't want it hanging down really.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Anywhere on the front workable? Or would it kill the spoiler? I guess with our ground clearance we don't want it hanging down really.
This tow hook will only work on the rear of the car. I'm still trying to figure out a solution for the front.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to go out and look how I did mine and check back in later
Old 12-10-2017, 12:23 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,203 Likes on 2,758 Posts

There are a couple threads trying to solve the "Front tow" problem. Keep us updated.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

When I blew my engine at the track last spring I was lucky that the gentleman that came to my rescue knew exactly what to do; he owned a C3 a long time ago.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Hiding the hook can be tricky, ran into this on many of my weird cars,

With my 69 since its road race theme im adding toe hooks or eyes but in my want them to show,
Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Front tow hook.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ttachment.html
Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

RAnd speaking of winching cars on two trailers, you find yourself a junk boat trailer for a hundred bucks. And then you take the upright with the winch on it right off the front and mounted onto the tongue of the car trailer. Or just buy a winch stand and a winch off Eastern marine.com. And then it comes to your door new without having to drag a junk trailer around and then drag the junk trailer to the landfill.

Last edited by derekderek; 12-11-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Speaking out of the left side of my mouth....conjecturing..

I have seen "T"- hooks, locks into frame...they look like a 'J-hook' (doesn't lock into frame)

Though it's been so long since I looked at the perforations in my two frames...69 and 82
that's what I would do....if I didn't call a flat bed! (preferred!)

Funny story...I'm also the Pres of the VW Scirocco club....many of them had oleo/hydraulic bumper struts (5 mph). Guy's car need to be towed a short distance...despite having tow hooks that go into the frame..Mr Numnutz put a ****** strap around the bumper and proceeded to pull...The guy behind the wheel kind of had his foot on the brake.....POP! pulled the OLEO struts apart in a shower of oil....what a mess!

Get notified of new replies

To Tow hook for Corvette

Quick Reply: Tow hook for Corvette