Sponsored by:

How to Restore Yellowed Plastic Automotive Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Restoring Yellowed C3 Plastic Automotive Parts

I tried this plastic whitening restoration process that I saw on You Tube and it works impressively well. Some vintage computer enthusiasts in silicon vally tried finding a way to whiten their yellowed computer cases and someone accidently stumbled on this method according to lore. I tried last weekend and I was finally able to get a stubbornly yellowed plastic gas cap about 5 shades whiter with a couple of tries after other attempts failed. My wife chuckled at the method, using salon chemicals, but even she was stunned by the improvement. It is basically back to its original light cream color. I could have repeated it a few times to get it even lighter, but I appreciate some natural patina in a 35 year old car. I read that it works the same with making clear plastic parts, clear again such as underhood fluid tanks. I carefully observed that it had zero negative affect on the physical look, feel or structure of the part. It did not seem to degrade the part in any obvious way. I next plan to use the following process on my wiper fluid, and anti-freeze overflow tanks:

1.) remove and wash your aged/yellow part. If it is a plastic fluid tank, fill it with detergent and pea gravel, sand or rice and shake forever until the residual stains are gone.
2.) slather on the #40 peroxide cream that you buy from Sallys Beauty Supply for around $3 bucks - inside and out. The below photo shows the bottle, along with the original gas cap for my `82.
3.) wrap it in clear plastic wrap to avoid evaporation, and let it sit out in the sun for the day, to expose it to UV rays. (I rinsed with water and repeated twice, over two days but it is winter, short days). Position the item so that all areas get equal sun. I had mine angled and the part that was slightly shaded from direct sunlight required a second application of the peroxide cream and another day of sunlight exposure.

The following YouTube link visually explains the basic plastic whitening process.

Hope you find this is of interest.

Dave
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lakeside49; 02-16-2017 at 10:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lakeside49:
c1nicole (05-04-2021), Street Rat (02-17-2017), SwampeastMike (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Bluebuyu
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I am going to try this on my windshield washer bottle
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Beauty tips on corvette forum ...love it, nice procedure.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The peroxide works amazingly well to whiten animal skulls too!

Get notified of new replies

To How to Restore Yellowed Plastic Automotive Parts

Quick Reply: How to Restore Yellowed Plastic Automotive Parts