Sponsored by:

Left and right Side view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by brdd
My passenger side mirror will not adjust far enough to be used by the driver. It will not turn in that far.

Where can I get one for the right side that can be seen by the driver? 72 convertible.
Since the passenger mirror was never installed from the factory in '72 when you install the aftermarket ones it comes with a template as to where to install the bracket. It sounds like your's was not installed in the correct position.

Originally Posted by Lobzila
I saw a thread going on this site for adding power C-5 mirrors to a C-3. Guys claimed you could actually see well in the mirrors past the rear fender hump. Still on the fence on that mod though.
Check out https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ors-on-c3.html
I kind of like looking through the mirrors and seeing the fender humps just like I get a kick out of the front fender humps every time I drive my Vette.

Last edited by theandies; 03-22-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 vert came with just a single floppy chrome POS mirror, like a dummy I bought two new chrome mirrors, and noted the adjustment issues, what a stooooooopid design.....so I got two late shark mirrors, and moved them about as far forward on the door as possible, to increase the field of view, and when adjusted correctly, I also put on the ~3" bubble mirrors, using black RTV to help the factory failure sticker pad....when adjusted properly, I then glued the position in place, same thing black RTV, Oh, I forgot to mention, they were both powder coated black gloss many years ago, along with other pieces of the car exterior....
NOW in the parking lots, wind, etc....my mirrors are always in postion, and the bubbles give a nice pan shot of the rear on a glance.....
Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Where can I get one for the right side that can be seen by the driver? 72 convertible...
Most of the C3 vendors carry the mirrors.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:22 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Passenger side mirror is a must have here in the UK. The one shown below is from Eklers and is an exact match for the drivers side original and is solid as a rock. As theandies mentioned, it comes with a paper template for installation hole drilling.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My 76 has the driver's mirror and when I drive it makes me a bit nervous because of the limited visability on the passenger side. I ordered a passenger side mirror that comes with a template to drill the holes. I will be installing it shortly. My buddy said "won't that affect the originality of the Corvette?" and I told him if I scrape or wreck the passenger side - that would affect it more...LOL!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,955 Posts

I ordered the set for my '73 from Corvette Central and they should be delivered tomorrow. The passenger side mirror is a must when parallel parking or backing out of my garage. Adding the passenger side mirror should not reduce the value of most C3's. From 1973 it was a dealer installed option.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

with a notch back vette the passenger side mirror is a must,and i put a screw in the ball pivot to prevent movement as opposed to glue.i cannot however see the curb while parking.aftermarket cheap mirror pitted out in 1 year,junk!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by brit vet
Passenger side mirror is a must have here in the UK. The one shown below is from Eklers and is an exact match for the drivers side original and is solid as a rock. As theandies mentioned, it comes with a paper template for installation hole drilling.

I installed the same mirror last month on my '77.
The whole job was maybe 30 minutes.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by billcarson
with a notch back vette the passenger side mirror is a must,and i put a screw in the ball pivot to prevent movement as opposed to glue.i cannot however see the curb while parking.aftermarket cheap mirror pitted out in 1 year,junk!
Can you post a picture on how you installed the screw? Thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

My passenger side mirror will not adjust far enough to be used by the driver. It will not turn in that far.

Where can I get one for the right side that can be seen by the driver? 72 convertible.
My 72 Convertible has both mirrors and they were bought through Corvette America . I have no problem adjusting the passenger side where I want it .
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
billcarson
Drifting

after viewing Wendellp's mirror i am ashamed to post this,but what the hell she is driven year round and it is a very old mirror.the screw is from underneath going up through the ball.zoom in to see the screw.i forgot that i added epoxy over the whole magilla. it don't move one iota though.from 20 ft you hardly notice.
upload photo
upload photo
upload photo
Old 03-23-2017, 03:54 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by billcarson
after viewing Wendellp's mirror i am ashamed to post this,but what the hell she is driven year round and it is a very old mirror.the screw is from underneath going up through the ball.zoom in to see the screw.i forgot that i added epoxy over the whole magilla. it don't move one iota though.from 20 ft you hardly notice.
No reason to be ashamed - My photo was a brand new mirror.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really want to keep the old-style chrome mirrors. But the passenger side one is useless to the driver.

Somewhere out there should be a mirror that adjusts for the driver to use it.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
billcarson
Drifting

i tried the set screw approach to the passenger mirror as you describe,OldCarBum, and it did not work for long with the vibration and door slamming.that led to drilling through the ball and locking it in place,old mirror anyway,and that lasted much longer.to assure that when i merged right i could rely on that mirror i finally put a bead of epoxy,very sloppily i might add,and it is now set for life,mine anyway. when the weather gets warmer i will clean it up a bit and add more epoxy to smooth out the look.more important for me to rely on that mirror than looks.i am ashamed no longer!

Last edited by billcarson; 03-24-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,955 Posts

I'll be installing my new mirrors soon and it sound like a nice epoxy job on the passenger side with a small bubble mirror will be in order.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM
theandies
Team Owner

I just did the super glue trick on my passenger side mirror and I'm surprised that it make it a lot stiffer. It probably won't last but it's working for now.
I do have the old mirrors that came with the car. I read a post a few years ago about removing the mirror (soak it in solvent or gas to loosen the glue) the drill out the clasp that holds the head to the ball (drill out the two rivets) the bend the clasp to increase the holding force on the ball and put it all back together. I got as far as removing the mirror but never finished. Think I'll revisit that project.

Last edited by theandies; 03-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Yes, the view from the driver side sport mirror (I have a '79) is poor as it's hard to keep the rear fender from dominating the view. The passenger side (with its convex mirror) is better. I owned and drove many GMs with the sport mirrors in their day and all had better visibility. The only thing I like about the sport mirrors is that their design is particularly well suited to the car itself.

Quick Reply: Left and right Side view mirrors