Sponsored by:

Have razor blade... will travel... 68L

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have razor blade... will travel... 68L

Sometimes you just have 2,734 things to do with your project Corvette you just do a spur of the moment job. When I got my '74 a few months ago the front end was about 80% bead blasted down to the fiberglass. Whoever did it did a great job but finding someone near me that I can actually afford is impossible. I decided to do the ole razor blade method to get the red paint off. It appears in a few areas, that yellow was also the colour of choice at some point but only in the door jambs it seems. In about 90 minutes I managed to do quite a bit and revealed the wonderful original colour of Brown. As the tag shows, it is classed as 68L. It appears to be a not too popular colour?.. I've Googled and checked out a few pictures of this colour and ya know.. It's not horrible... I've never seen one this colour up here.
does anyone think I will have a problem with the front end bead blasted and just bringing the rest down to original paint when painting it?

Old 01-01-2017, 06:47 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default My "brown" 1974 Corvette

KLUTZ,

My first post on here was to ask how to strip the paint off my '74. It was a factory 68L colour, over which someone had painted it with a silvery (with a hint of green) paint. Straight over the brown, no sanding back to the primer. Needless to say, the paint was lifting in parts, showing the brown underneath. Now, I do not like brown colours for cars, nor purple, pink and a few others, but so few cars are brown these days, that a brown car with a very good paint job would stand out.

Long story short, my original car is still sitting in the garage, not having been touched for well over a decade, but I have bought two more in the meantime and have my hands full with those. Now that I have (mostly) retired, I hope to find the time to get the old brown car fixed up and on the road, but I will have to strip the silver off to see if the brown paint underneath is worth restoring.

Good luck with your project and I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 01-02-2017, 09:07 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Use a sealer and you should be fine to paint on top of blasted and original unless it's lacquer, then get it off, it continues to shrink over time. Epoxy sealer, then urathane primer, then block sand primer and re-apply as needed and continue block sanding. I would not recommend painting on top of anything more in thickness than original paint job. Cracking/checking can occur. There's a methodology to the block sanding and different sanding tools to accommodate different body contours. Do the epoxy sealer and urathane primer in different colors to let you know when you've reached sealer. Tint your primer to match paint color hue. Also, there's a paint and body section to this forum or used to be.

Last edited by jimvette999; 01-03-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jimvette999
...unless it's laquer...
FWIW: All St. Louis cars had acrylic lacquer paint. Bowling Green used enamel.
The following users liked this post:
jimvette999 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: All St. Louis cars had acrylic lacquer paint. Bowling Green used enamel.
Thank you, I couldn't find the answer to that very issue. I searched for "when they stopped using lacquer"...I know you can't use it now though.

Get notified of new replies

To Have razor blade... will travel... 68L

Quick Reply: Have razor blade... will travel... 68L