Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Forget Them Safety Glasses!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Thanks for the reminder Jartanyon. I haven't had to have metal removed from an eye and would like to keep it that way. Sounds scary and painful.

When I did my porting I wore eye protection, ear protection and a respirator. The metal dust can get in your lungs too.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You can go here and buy some excellent safety glasses for very little. I've found many vendors also carry their products.
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/pyramex1.html

One thing already mentioned that bugs the heck out of me about safety glasses is the cavalier manner in which they are often cared for. I was helping out at a shop a while back and while they had plenty of safety glasses around, it was impossible to find a pair that didn't have a scratch, crack or even paint on them. I started buying my own and always took them (in their case) with me. This is what led me to the above site. I was looking for something a bit more stylish and less like a geek in Chem Lab!

Also if you are like me and find yourself having to constantly take them off to see details close up they are available with bi-focal lenses for little more. I'm now not so inclined to take them off and set them somewhere when I'm trying to read small print!

They have them in clear, indoor-outdoor (above) and even gray (sun glasses).

I carry them with me whenever I go to places like Carlisle where it's a pain to carry and keep track of sun glasses and reading glasses. Work great and last a long time!

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin68
I was walking through an alley between hotels in Vegas at 4 am (don't ask) and the wind whipped something up and I had to have a piece of metal plucked from my eye and rust ground out of my cornea when I got home. I found out years later that having metal in you eye or if you work with metal and need an MRI on your head, you have to get a hi resolution X-ray to insure there is no metal in your eye. The magnetic part of the MRI will screw with your eye if there is residual metal in there.

That'll make you remember to wear eye protect.
It's only a problem with an MRI if the metal is magnetic That's why it is called Magnetic Resolution Imaging ( MRI ). I just had a dental implant with titanium and titanium is not magnetic and they use titanium in steel replacement hips and knees and many other bolts and screws used in them. So there is not a problem with those. I did have an MRI done once on my chest and was asked if I had any metal anywhere and I told the technician that the only metal that I could think of was the metal dust that I accumulated in my lungs in the metal work and grinding that I did over forty years . We both laughed and proceeded with the MRI . I made it through the test but it felt like it was ripping my lungs out . ( very hard breathing )
Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the well wishes and sharing of experiences. Hopefully this helps serve as an important reminder for new members and veterans alike - safety is EXTREMELY important and should never be overlooked.

After two more trips to the doctor with an additional piece removed from my eyelid, a few sleepless nights with pain and discomfort, and anti-inflammatory drops along with the antibiotic drops four times a day, my corneas are starting to heal and everything is starting to return to normal.

The sad part is when this all took place, I had five pairs of safety glasses at my disposal that I could have used right from the start. Two were like GUSTO14 posted, but the outdoor sunglasses type, and three of the clear goggle type (I bought myself and each of my kids a pair for when they do projects). I was too lazy to go inside to get the goggles and didn't want to be bothered with trying to see what I was doing through the shaded ones. After about five minutes of working without anything, I ended up getting a light, putting on the shaded glasses, and getting a respirator mask, but by then the damage was already done to my eyes.

At that time, the extra two minutes it would have taken me to go inside and get the goggles seemed like the biggest inconvenience in the world. Now, it was probably the smartest thing I could have done. I know what I will do next time...

Merry Christmas and safe wrenching.

Last edited by Jartanyon; 12-23-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:26 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon
Thanks for all the well wishes and sharing of experiences. Hopefully this helps serve as an important reminder for new members and veterans alike - safety is EXTREMELY important and should never be overlooked.

After two more trips to the doctor with an additional piece removed from my eyelid, a few sleepless nights with pain and discomfort, and anti-inflammatory drops along with the antibiotic drops four times a day, my corneas are starting to heal and everything is starting to return to normal.

The sad part is when this all took place, I had five pairs of safety glasses at my disposal that I could have used right from the start. Two were like GUSTO14 posted, but the outdoor sunglasses type, and three of the clear goggle type (I bought myself and each of my kids a pair for when they do projects). I was too lazy to go inside to get the goggles and didn't want to be bothered with trying to see what I was doing through the shaded ones. After about five minutes of working without anything, I ended up getting a light, putting on the shaded glasses, and getting a respirator mask, but by then the damage was already done to my eyes.

At that time, the extra two minutes it would have taken me to go inside and get the goggles seemed like the biggest inconvenience in the world. Now, it was probably the smartest thing I could have done. I know what I will do next time...

Merry Christmas and safe wrenching.
By you starting this valuable post I think you probably gave a few people a Christmas present that they don't even realize. Merry Christmas and better luck in the new year. BJ

Quick Reply: Don't Forget Them Safety Glasses!