Sponsored by:

Reproduction Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
pleasants9
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Reproduction Aluminum Wheels

Has any used the reproduction aluminum wheels? I have an '82 and my original wheels I just cant get to match up and shine. I removed the factory clear coat from them all to show the bare aluminum but some shine better than others and the black paint inside is fading. The quote of $125/tire to powder coat the inside black is about the same price as just buying all new wheels...plus now there is the chromed aluminum option which is enticing...thoughts?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Easy to repaint the centers. I stripped, primed and rattle canned mine (sorry can't remember the paint brand) about 25 years ago and they still look great. Hit the wheels with some Mother's aluminum polish and a buffer on your cordless drill, they shine right up.

Last edited by revitup; 12-01-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by pleasants9
Has any used the reproduction aluminum wheels? I have an '82 and my original wheels I just cant get to match up and shine. I removed the factory clear coat from them all to show the bare aluminum but some shine better than others and the black paint inside is fading. The quote of $125/tire to powder coat the inside black is about the same price as just buying all new wheels...plus now there is the chromed aluminum option which is enticing...thoughts?
It really depends on where the repo's are made. The quality of original wheels (including original rally's) is far superior to most repo's, especially those out of China. They can be real hit or miss.

I mounted a set of repo ZR-1 wheels for a C4. 3 of the 4 balanced with an ounce or less of weight and a new set of Goodyear GS D3's a few years back. The 4th took over 4 ounces of weight. We moved the tire 4 times on the rim and each time it took 4 oz of weight. We then removed the tire and spun the wheel, you guessed it, 4 oz of weight off. The wheels look good and ran true, but the quality compared to a typical factory wheel is just not the same.

I've restored a few sets of the YJ8 wheels over the years. The effort involved is directly related to the condition of the wheels you start with. The process is the same and in the end the results have been excellent. There were a few different styles of wheel used over the years and you'll need to look very carefully to spot the differences from the front side. They are much more pronounced on the back side of the wheels.

I don't have any before pictures, but this set was very rough including some curb rash when I picked them up more than 20 years ago. I probably spent 7-8 hours on each wheel to get them looking like this back then (it was my 1st try). These pictures were taken about 5 years ago during one of my annual "take them off and get them ready for the show season" exercises. A good cleaning front and back and nothing but Simichrome polish on the front of the wheel. I did clear coat the back side after painting all the black.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought a set of reproduction YJ8 wheels from a place in California, they were marked Made in China,.....not what I like,...BUT, they are very very nice, and as high quality as anything I have seen. I used them for 3500 miles I drove the car this summer, the balanced out well, and had no issues. Frankly, as much as I hate it, I would give them a high recommendation.

As with many repro Corvette parts, I imagine these repro yJ8 wheels only come from one source, and one factory, in China no matter who sells them in the U.S. - so whether you buy from Corvette America, Corvette Central, Volunteer, Keen, Bairs, etc......all the same manufacturer.

Conversely, I had bought a set of original Kelsey Hayes YJ8 wheels, and they were so full of porosity, I gave up trying to make them look good and sold them.

If anyone has any evidence there are quality issues with China made wheels, please post exactly what the quality problem is.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-01-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have several years on mine now and have been very happy with them. Yes, they are made in China but I see no reason to criticize the quality. They balanced well with radial T/As.

They are not clear-coated. I keep them nice and bright with Zaino Z2. I would never touch them with an abrasive polish.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What have you done to polish them? Scrubbing the wheel with the Scotchbrite pad provides an even surface to polish from. Use a polishing compound and drill to polish. Tape over the slots from the front and back then cut out the opening with a hobby knife. Mask remainder of wheel and paint the slots with a semi gloss black. I like Krylon. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 12-02-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mds3013
What have you done to polish them? Scrubbing the wheel with the Scotchbrite pad provides an even surface to polish from. Use a polishing compound and drill to polish. Tape over the slots from the front and back then cut out the opening with a hobby knife. Mask remainder of wheel and paint the slots with a semi gloss black. I like Krylon. mike...

Mike,
I did that job so many years ago for my 1979. Winter job in the basement. Took about 12 hours. But those wheels still look great today!

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction Aluminum Wheels

Quick Reply: Reproduction Aluminum Wheels