Sponsored by:

Cold weather driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:13 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by sembiker
I was told not to drive my 72 in cold weather as it could crack the fiberglass in older vettes. True vs false?
You must have been talking to the wrong guy. It is false . Now if you were talking about snow and salt I would agree with him about damage to all of the metal in the form of rust on the car including the frame and bird cage.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't care about the cold. When the road salt has been washed off the streets by a couple of good rains, the car comes home from winter storage. Until then I don't drive.

The following users liked this post:
grady white (12-23-2022)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
Grant..pretty cool that you do take the old gal out into the winter wonderland.I grew up in serious snow country..and for extended driving in snow. would pull over occasionally and knock the snow-ice from the rear inner fender wells both front and back.
IF one doesn't do that occasionally..steering is hampered..Last bad smow we drove in here in western Oregon.the traffic and thaw-freezing over a week created 9" ruts..manhole covers where there is below ground sewer and warmth,turned into terrible potholes..So many people just don't know how to drive in snow or ice..so the BIGGEST HAZARDS are other motorists on the road....but that's true enuf even in sunshiny dry weather.. SO many folks simply cannot drive well period..gotta watch 'em always..In Oregon they do not use any salt or calcium chloride on the roads..With the exception of higher elevations Oregon has very little snow removal equipment..period..jim

Hi Jim, I take the 69 out quite often in the winter but never in the slop. A nice crisp day with some light snow on the road is ok or a dry day in the cold but I leave it inside when it's warm, wet or the salt guys are out lurking around. It has virtually no rust on the frame or birdcage and I would like to keep it that way.
Back in the 70's we never thought about rust. Heck, we had a plastic car! What's going to rust? I couldn't afford the insurance on 2 cars let alone the purchase price so it was either the Corvette all year or no Corvette. That was in Winnipeg which is a 2 hour drive north of Fargo and as we all know, there is nothing warm north of Fargo. It would hit -30 regularly. I had 4 studded snow tires and an electric block heater that replaced one frost plug so it would start in the morning. Once you got it warmed up the heat was pretty good. Besides, nothing better for doing donuts in the snow than a C3....

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 10-27-2016 at 11:37 PM.
grady white (12-23-2022)
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Actually, doing 'donuts' or spins on the ice was pretty fun in my 1959 Impala convertible. It was heavy enough to spin around but hold its line because of its mass. No one else was on the road....why not?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:44 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

They make a lot of creaking noises when its -30 but the heaters are great!

You can also get some great photo ops in the winter
jim in oregon (10-29-2016)
Old 12-23-2022, 03:47 PM
twa1457
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cold Corvette

Lets see some more cold corvette pics!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2022, 03:45 PM
Coronette
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 312 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I want to take mine out this week as the snow is stopping for a day or two, but the County salts the local roads. I figure it’s better to wait until right after a rainfall. It’s been in the 20s-low 40s (although nighttime dropped to 7 degrees the other day). My doggies are not happy.

Quick Reply: Cold weather driving