Spare tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Spare tire carrier

My friends,

Do I remove the spare tire carrier in its entirety or do I leave it?

Pics and opinions welcome.

-Michael
Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I like the looks of it being there.... as it was intended. Many have said they like it gone, but I think it doesn`t look right without it. Even if you don`t carry a spare, plenty of members have shared how they use it for additional storage.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
I like the looks of it being there.... as it was intended. Many have said they like it gone, but I think it doesn`t look right without it. Even if you don`t carry a spare, plenty of members have shared how they use it for additional storage.

My fuel system is plumbed under the spare tire carrier on my '81. There is plenty of room to carry tools or whatever if the tire is removed from the carrier.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by M. Young
...Do I remove the spare tire carrier in its entirety or do I leave it?...
Trick question? Are you carrying a spare tire?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

I have always liked the look of it. To me, it makes the car look complete when looking at it from behind. Lot's of opinions on both sides though and at the end of the day, it is really a personal preference thing.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Took mine off a few years ago. Ended up cleaning it up and sticking it in the shed along with the original spare tire, because I like the look of it not on the car and the weight reduction is a plus.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I took mine off recently. Had it on before without the spare. Between the spare and the carrier it was a good 80ish lb reduction in weight. I kind of like the access I get without it there. Much easier to jack on the rear diff, check u-joints etc. I also kind of like the look of being able to see the half shafts.
would be good for carrying stuff if you don't mind getting that stuff wet if you get caught in a rain storm.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

I removed the spare tire & carrier and hardware completely 6 months ago on my '78.all cleaned up and set aside..in case some one wants to reinstall it later when I'm gone..
I'm not able nor interested in changing a tire on the vette-roadside..AAA 200 mile works as does attention and care of tires, driving.etc..TRY to get a flat p255/60 15" tire behind your seat or stowed back into the carrier..so you can drive on..and you'll soon see how impractical that is no matter how strong-acrobatic you are..

The car doesn't look naked with it gone to me..and I m no purist NCRS gotta be all original type..Sure made it easier to work on anything back of the seats beneath the car..but again as has been said..it's a personal decision for your own car..Jim
Old 10-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
TRY to get a flat p255/60 15" tire behind your seat or stowed back into the carrier..so you can drive on..and you'll soon see how impractical that is no matter how strong-acrobatic you are..
Hmmm...I didn't think of that! Good Point!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:20 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Have an electric fuel pump under the tank so the carrier provides protection from debris kicked up on the road. Also I didn't like the weight of a tire on a steel wheel, so instead I put in a skinny lighter jack, compressor, and flat tire repair kit. Here's a pic:

Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I removed mine.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom69
Hmmm...I didn't think of that! Good Point!
The stock 15" wheel and even flat tire WILL fit in the carrier..Barely..with adjustments.. I am excellent at roadside repairs of flats including nail puncture..fix a flat stuff does work! A damaged sidewall is a whole 'nuther story..I still have the original 'maypop' spare that came with my '78..Never been used BUT 38 yrs old.I BOUGHT a new conventional spare and had it mounted on the original spare rim..It's good for road use.not just temporary use.but I DON'T pack it along..ANYONE wishes the correct size to replicate the original spare in circumference, width so it fits the carrier W/O any adjustments..I can dig it up for you.jim
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2016, 03:19 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

it was hard enough ripping the dirty old stuff outa the car, never gonna seem myself for ANY reason, especially under the duress of a flat tire, crawling under there to try to change a flat and messing with a huge repair job risking my life in the dark

the spare on the c3 is OBSOLETE....

clean the suspension the spare was hiding and the visual under there would be just as nice if not better

i got around 500 bucks selling everything on ebay , including the jack

Last edited by slickfx3; 10-21-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
Have an electric fuel pump under the tank so the carrier provides protection from debris kicked up on the road. Also I didn't like the weight of a tire on a steel wheel, so instead I put in a skinny lighter jack, compressor, and flat tire repair kit. Here's a pic:

Now that is thinking outside of the box. There's even gloves to keep your hands clean. Great idea.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
gveld
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default no spare tire

I removed my spare tire two years ago when I was changing rear diff . After some cleaning and touch up painting I decided I like the look without the carrier in place .
I have owned car for 21 years now and never had a flat so decided to leave off.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:33 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 125 Posts

I like the ideas you guys have about using the spare space to transport or store supplies, etc. I have several of those "roll closed" waterproof bags from my kayaking days, so anything I put in there would remain completely dry.

I'm gonna take that thing off, clean it and repaint it, and make some kind of divided storage area in there.

Thanks All!

Last edited by GRAND SPORT GUY; 10-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:12 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

No spare here.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire carrier

Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I removed the ugly carrier, original spare & all hdwe. within about 3 months after buying the car....completely rebuilt the rear (and front) suspensions, and all that crap has been in my other garage ever since...NO desire to block all the shiny paint & new parts under the car!! Anyone interested in buying it all?? If so, gimme an e mail vtwindog@gmail.com
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

FWIW..whatever a fellow stows carefully so it is protected from moisture and isn't gonna shift/rattle in the spare tire carrier..is of little value because it's gonna be pretty inaccessible..
My '78 has a compartment that houses the jack etc..and a tire fixit kit will stow in there also...as will rubber gloves for auto work in a pinch.A good flashlight will stow in the glovebox along with the ratcheting battery terminal wrench.
.(I know some of the older c3 vettes had no glove box)Lacking a glove box.. One can also have a soft go to bag that stows behind the seat with some basic tools, screwdriver set, pliers..duct tape...baling wire..even a small bottle of 'stuck medicine'..for those country boys who know what that is...... jim
Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the look of a carrier in place. It completes the rear of the car and with out the carrier the back looks empty, hollow and clearly missing something.

Quick Reply: Spare tire carrier