Sponsored by:

SWEET! Back on the road again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SWEET! Back on the road again!

Got the new tires today, installed today. Was great to see some of the inside of our 47 yr old purchase, had receipts but seeing is believing! The wheel assemblies look great. Back on the road again ! The 1992 rubber is off , now to hit the road. Dan stayed with her at the tire shop and took a few pics so I could see what is in there. I am not a mechanic but I know a pretty rotor when I see one.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Okiegirl2u; 09-08-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

On the way to get her new tires I am in the chase vehicle with her new ones in the back.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Okiegirl2u; 09-08-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

On the way home to dump this truck and go for a ride.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

Beautiful, may want to check the camber.
The following users liked this post:
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddawson
The what and where?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddawson
I googled it, I will tell him.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Okiegirl2u
The what and where?
Acually now that I thought about that for a minute I remember that he said the tire guy said the rear right wheel seemed a little bent on the balancing machine, do you think that would cause it to look that way, or no? He called me while I was following him and ask how it looked. I couldn't really see anything but I did video it as he was leaving the stop light. He is asleep and hasn't had a chance to look at video ...I will tell him. Thank you
Old 09-09-2016, 12:06 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Okiegirl2u
Acually now that I thought about that for a minute I remember that he said the tire guy said the rear right wheel seemed a little bent on the balancing machine, do you think that would cause it to look that way, or no? He called me while I was following him and ask how it looked. I couldn't really see anything but I did video it as he was leaving the stop light. He is asleep and hasn't had a chance to look at video ...I will tell him. Thank you
No, a bent rim wouldn't do that. He's referring to the fact that both rear tires seem to be leaned nag in at the top. There is a pair of rods attached to the bottom of the differential for adjusting this.
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
No, a bent rim wouldn't do that. He's referring to the fact that both rear tires seem to be leaned nag in at the top. There is a pair of rods attached to the bottom of the differential for adjusting this.
got it! Thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,213 Likes on 2,763 Posts

It's good to hear you replaced those 4 catastrophes....old tires can fail at any time with no notice (don't ask how I know). Keep the roadtrip pics coming......those of us still on jackstands appreciate it!
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes first thing I noticed also is the camber is to much on the rear. Car looks good but to much camber on the rear will cause I'll handling and tire wear. You only need a slight tilt in maybe about 1/2 degree on the rear. Easily set but you need gauges or an alignment machine to set it up correctly.
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Yes first thing I noticed also is the camber is to much on the rear. Car looks good but to much camber on the rear will cause I'll handling and tire wear. You only need a slight tilt in maybe about 1/2 degree on the rear. Easily set but you need gauges or an alignment machine to set it up correctly.
She has a small drip, Dan thinks it is tranny but for now he can't safely get compeltely under her. So she has an appt next week at the corvette mechanic who worked on it for the previous owner. We will tell the mech & hopefully he can take care of that. Dan really wants to work on her himself. Long term we plan to put a lift in our shop but for now we will take her to the "guy".
The tire shop could prob adjust the camber but we will prob ask the mech. They were apprehensive about putting on carry in tires and inspected them prior to. Being self employed I get that for sure. I think if we did not do business with them for all our company trucks they prob wouldn't have installed these for us. They were suprised I found the tires, their Pirielli guy couldn't even find tires for the wheels (they were hunting them for us) . We probably will have to change wheels in the future but for now we will deal with the drip and the camber and next up...please. We think she is worth it. I think we could be starting out with much worse for sure. Over the years I have talked him out buying "the much worse" money pit project car many times so we are both thrilled to be starting out with this one. Lol Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Okiegirl2u; 09-09-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi O,
Car looks really 'serious' on the road!
I'll bet it really turns lots of heads as you drive by!!
You must be pretty excited!!!
Good Luck as you enjoy it.
Regards,
Alan

The "strut rods" that control the amount of camber.
The pair on your car may look a bit different because they themselves may be 'adjustable' rather than having the adjustment bolt original rods have.

Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't feel worthy posting these pics after Alan has chimed in, BUT here you go anyway.
These are on a '78, but the parts are the same.

Adjustable Strut Rods, loosen the "jam" nut and turn the rod to lengthen/shorten as applicable. Lengthening the rod will push the bottom of the tire "out", thereby bringing the top of the tire "in". Search alignment settings, depending on your cars purpose, the numbers will be different. Cruising vs drag vs "slalom TT".

Periodically check the make sure the jam nut hasn't come loose. "Heim joint" adjustable rods are available as well, but get mixed reviews.
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi O,
Car looks really 'serious' on the road!
I'll bet it really turns lots of heads as you drive by!!
You must be pretty excited!!!
Good Luck as you enjoy it.
Regards,
Alan

The "strut rods" that control the amount of camber.
The pair on your car may look a bit different because they themselves may be 'adjustable' rather than having the adjustment bolt original rods have.

Oh...nice pics. Thanks , it helps me understand to see it. Not that I have to understand it but I enjoy learning about what I own. One of my titles is "head of research" And yes she does turn heads. He is like a kid at Christmas and has worked hard all his life to earn the privilege. I am very happy he gets the opportunity to start with this one. His bucket list tho : Our baby girl the last of 5 graduates college in Dec, we will be getting a raise so who knows what will happen then.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

[QUOTE=Dodosmike;1593021414]I don't feel worthy posting these pics after Alan has chimed in, BUT here you go anyway.
These are on a '78, but the parts are the same.

Adjustable Strut Rods, loosen the "jam" nut and turn the rod to lengthen/shorten as applicable. Lengthening the rod will push the bottom of the tire "out", thereby bringing the top of the tire "in". Search alignment settings, depending on your cars purpose, the numbers will be different. Cruising vs drag vs "slalom TT".

Very Interesting! I wonder if the current setting has something to do with her being a drag racer in her previous life? We need to fine tune her into a cruiser as much as possible No more drags for her , I am glad she is so pretty because if not, I know my guy would be jumping up and down to check out that possibly. I couldn't help myself , had to look. Posting pic below , I think I found it
Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Okiegirl2u
Advanced

I think I found it! It is dark under there, the flashlight that goes on your head that I bought him, sure is handy.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To SWEET! Back on the road again!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi dd,
First… ALL pictures are good!
Second… that chassis isn't my work… it was done by a well known restorer.
Third…. your pictures show the adjustable strut rods that Os car could well have…. and I was trying to describe.
So, WELL DONE!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-09-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Hard to tell, but close up of the shock mount are would tell for sure, but in my computer, blown up big, it could be an adjustable strut rod in the car already

Last edited by Dodosmike; 09-09-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Okiegirl2u (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi dd,
I call it an adjustable strut rod too!
Regards,
alan

Quick Reply: SWEET! Back on the road again!