Sponsored by:

Modern Dash Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 PM
voidhead1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modern Dash Question

Ok yes I did try doing an advance search but the results returned too many false positives.... so

I am thinking about doing a modern C5/6 Dash with instrument cluster and center console in my '68 resto. For the pure C3 owners sorry for hacking up a '68 but it was a basket case that would have never seen the road and was a great candidate for a restomod.

So back to the question has anyone attempted fitting a C5/6 dash with instrument cluster and center console into a C3?

Thanks in advance to any responses that helps
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by voidhead1
Ok yes I did try doing an advance search but the results returned too many false positives.... so

I am thinking about doing a modern C5/6 Dash with instrument cluster and center console in my '68 resto. For the pure C3 owners sorry for hacking up a '68 but it was a basket case that would have never seen the road and was a great candidate for a restomod.

So back to the question has anyone attempted fitting a C5/6 dash with instrument cluster and center console into a C3?

Thanks in advance to any responses that helps
What engine are you going to go with- LS?

The C5/C6 are wider- it can be done- but it's not going to be easy.

FWIW -C6 are CAN BUS which means its going to take a lot more noodling to get it to work...

Here's a C7 going in a 78- and he quickly found out that even the door locks were a challenge.

Richard
C7 in a 78

Last edited by Richard454; 08-25-2016 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
voidhead1 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 PM
voidhead1
Instructor

Staying old school on the motor with a 454 but will make it streetable with EFI/ignition timing control
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by voidhead1
Staying old school on the motor with a 454 but will make it streetable with EFI/ignition timing control
The problems encountered when physically installing the dash/HVAC/etc. will pale in comparison to the following electronic nightmare!

Essentially nothing in a C5+ Corvette is directly operated. Everything is at least one layer of control away from the switches via a number of electronic control modules that all linked by "one wire" communication.

The PCM (power control module) acts as a sort of master and I don't believe it's possible to get any of the others working without a PCM installed. Beyond simply installing the PCM a number of its many inputs (none directly available in anything you propose) are required for the other modules to carry out their functions.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Team Lazy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're going that route, why a C5/6? There are so many other cars out there with way nicer dashboards and gauges, I can't imagine going to all that work for that result. My 97 Z28 and 04 Z06 were so similar and disappointing that I can't really understand the logic. There's a significant industry in making the C5/6 interior decent. By all means, to each his own though...

I bet if you thought outside the box, with Miata, or Cadillac CTSV, something like that, you'd end up with a nicer end product.

Having said that, the easy way I would THINK, would be to take the motor, computer, harness, everything, from a donor and go from there.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
voidhead1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Team Lazy
If you're going that route, why a C5/6? There are so many other cars out there with way nicer dashboards and gauges, I can't imagine going to all that work for that result. My 97 Z28 and 04 Z06 were so similar and disappointing that I can't really understand the logic. There's a significant industry in making the C5/6 interior decent. By all means, to each his own though...

I bet if you thought outside the box, with Miata, or Cadillac CTSV, something like that, you'd end up with a nicer end product.

Having said that, the easy way I would THINK, would be to take the motor, computer, harness, everything, from a donor and go from there.
I am not disagreeing with anything you have said, just thought it would be nice to keep it all in the family so to say... I do like the dash look of the C6 just not the quality of materials and fit/finish. With that said I know I would have to cut up any dash C6 donor to fit in a C3 and then wrap with stitched leather. As for the instruments, I am leaning towards a universal kit like this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd847.htm
Old 08-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I sort of went the other way- my car has a vary diversified ancestry!!! Did use the same vintage (late 60's)-but incorporated the stock Corvette gauges-

Mimicked a Lamborghini Miura

Still a work in progress-

Covered in leather-

Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 PM
voidhead1
Instructor

Hey Richard454... that is some awesome work even if it is still work in progress.

Get notified of new replies

To Modern Dash Question

Quick Reply: Modern Dash Question