Sponsored by:

Validate C3 information

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 410,
It's difficult to comment on a car based on just a few close-up photos and without more description of how the car is being presented.
This doesn't look like a "restored" car to me.
The frame appears to have been brush painted with some sort of material.
The lower ball joints have been replaced using bolts rather than the typical rivets.
The shock absorbers are aftermarket items of some sort.
As you can see the comments don't amount to much because the pictures don't show much.
Would be good to see an assortment of exterior, interior, engine compartment, and chassis/running gear pictures to make any meaningful comments.
How is the car being described?
Is it being sold by a dealer or individual?
How much $$ is it?
Is this your first old Corvette?
What kind of car are you looking for?
Regards,
Alan

From the few pictures this looks like an o.k. car depending on it's price and what it's being presented as.

Last edited by Alan 71; 06-27-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:34 AM
410racing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 410,
It's difficult to comment on a car based on just a few close-up photos and without more description of how the car is being presented.
This doesn't look like a "restored" car to me.
The frame appears to have been brush painted with some sort of material.
The lower ball joints have been replaced using bolts rather than the typical rivets.
The shock absorbers are aftermarket items of some sort.
As you can see the comments don't amount to much because the pictures don't show much.
Would be good to see an assortment of exterior, interior, engine compartment, and chassis/running gear pictures to make any meaningful comments.
How is the car being described?
Is it being sold by a dealer or individual?
How much $$ is it?
Is this your first old Corvette?
What kind of car are you looking for?
Regards,
Alan

From the few pictures this looks like an o.k. car depending on it's price and what it's being presented as.
Thanks for the input Alan. It means a lot. The car is being sold by an individual in TN who has owned it since 2007. He bought the car from someone in KY that had it restored by Noel Grace in Cincinnati. It is being described as that. Original miles of 87,500 numbers matching.

He is asking $33K for the car. This will be my first C3, I am mechanically inclined and like to tinker however I'm looking for a good pure car with a solid frame and numbers matching. I posted in WTB as well but haven't found what I want.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

The trim tag.
There may be other people out there making repro trim tags but I can tell you that the one seller who has been making tags since 1988 did not make this one. The C is correct as well as the number 9. Unless that seller has fixed his mistakes which I do not think he has, then this tag was not made by them. There are a few other features that look correct that they make mistakes on also and all look correct.
I think its real.
However, I am no expert on all trim tags. There may be makers out there that have them reproduced more accurately. This one looks good to me.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 410racing
Any input on these latest photos? Thx.
Note Alan's comment about the pop rivet tool marks. I removed the trim tag from my 68 convert to clean off the paint (the PO did not mask it when re-painting) and then pop riveted it back in place, resulting in similar tool marks on the rivets. Note the tag on Alan's blue car does not have any tool marks on the rivets. They must have used a different rivet tool at the GM factory.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:00 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

If you provide a link to other pictures of the car it would help. I agree with Alan in that it doesn't appear to be restored as much as freshened up. For a base motor '72 I think at $33K it should have a little nicer appearance underneath. I am making this comment on the very limited pictures shown.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 PM
410racing
Intermediate

Here is the link to the listing. Thanks for looking.

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...vertible-67193
Old 06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Did the factory perhaps use an air driven rivet tool which helps lessen the 'hop' the hand held rivet tool often makes, and thus lessen the chance of a tool mark on the rivet?
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 410racing
He bought the car from someone in KY that had it restored by Noel Grace in Cincinnati.

Might want to do a little research in the C2 section on this site as well as the NCRS site.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
The following users liked this post:
410racing (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

410 racing,
This car looks pretty nice, but I feel the price for this base engine, base convertible, 72 corvette that is red, with a 14 year old restoration is about 10 grand to high in my opinion.
Now however if this car flips your switch and you pay that kind of money for this car then My 70 convertible fresh restore will go up on the selling block pretty soon if people are spending that kind of money for a base convertible.
Good luck with your research.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM
6svette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C3

Little off topic, but I'm from Knoxville Iowa, and go to the races quite a bit, small world. 410, if you ever make it out this way let me know. Good luck with your corvette purchase.

Last edited by 6svette; 06-27-2016 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
410racing (06-27-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat

Might want to do a little research in the C2 section on this site as well as the NCRS site.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Do a search on Noel Grace...on google and in the C2 section.

After you do I doubt you'll have any interest in this car
Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 PM
410racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hzz

Do a search on Noel Grace...on google and in the C2 section.

After you do I doubt you'll have any interest in this car
Thanks all. Your input has convinced me that I need to keep looking. This is what I love about this site and everyone willing to provide honest input.

So, I'm still looking for my dream car, 68-72 roadster, 4 speed, red exterior, numbers matching and power steering.

Quick Reply: Validate C3 information