Removing 41yr old plugs...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I believe some people are more graced than I am,
but I have owned a lot of vettes 66-86 and changed a lot of plugs in them, headers and non headers and many others vehicles and never used or needed a lift,

I wouldn't know what to do to have a "shop" and lift at my house....
If you have never changed the plugs from underneath you are doing it the hard way . So much easier down under even if it is just on jack stands.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
If you have never changed the plugs from underneath you are doing it the hard way . So much easier down under even if it is just on jack stands.
then I did it the hard way, I have gone into the wheel well but never that I remember doing one on stands or a lift, and never thought from the top was hard at 6'2" crawling around is hard for me....
Old 06-25-2016, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
and that is up to a 1982.

I change the front four plugs from the top side..and the back four from underneath...AND that is IF I am also replacing the spark plug wires and CORRECTLY utilizing the ignition shields that attach to the side of the engine block for the front four spark plug wires.

Because changing out the spark plug wires and routing them like Gm designed ..just simply can not be all done from the top alone....you will have to get under the car....unless you have 10 foot arms so you can clip the two wires on each side to the clip that is attached to the side of the oil pan.

DUB

Old 06-25-2016, 06:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
and that is up to a 1982.

I change the front four plugs from the top side..and the back four from underneath...AND that is IF I am also replacing the spark plug wires and CORRECTLY utilizing the ignition shields that attach to the side of the engine block for the front four spark plug wires.

Because changing out the spark plug wires and routing them like Gm designed ..just simply can not be all done from the top alone....you will have to get under the car....unless you have 10 foot arms so you can clip the two wires on each side to the clip that is attached to the side of the oil pan.

DUB

you guys know I would not fuss with routing wires like GM did, and I never had issues doing plugs the way I do them so we are all happy and content with it....
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at the plugs wires lastnight...they are a two tone grey at this point. I assume that means the covers are breaking down which could be my idle issue if the spark is jumping. Tomorrow at 7am a flatbed is picking her up to take ber for the clutch. So once back I will test the breaks and hopefully get her first drive of the summer in. My son (3yr old) loves riding with the tops off so looks like a father and son cruise is in order.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ATIS
I looked at the plugs wires lastnight...they are a two tone grey at this point. I assume that means the covers are breaking down which could be my idle issue if the spark is jumping. Tomorrow at 7am a flatbed is picking her up to take ber for the clutch. So once back I will test the breaks and hopefully get her first drive of the summer in. My son (3yr old) loves riding with the tops off so looks like a father and son cruise is in order.

I hope all goes really well with the clutch.

Have a safe drive.

DUB
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM
ATIS
Racer

Dropped her off this morning but they were buttoning up an engine install in a 1965 Mustang so she didnt make it in the shop till 4pm. I figure they probably lifted her and sprayed everything down with oil...which they will need since none of that hardware hasnt been moved in 41 yrs. Lol
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ATIS
Dropped her off this morning but they were buttoning up an engine install in a 1965 Mustang so she didnt make it in the shop till 4pm. I figure they probably lifted her and sprayed everything down with oil...which they will need since none of that hardware hasnt been moved in 41 yrs. Lol
I wish mine was that close to being runner driver.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 PM
ATIS
Racer

So shop called... i bought the wrong clutch. Totally not happy cause I called and talked to the company. I need the 11" 26 spline clutch not the 10.5" 16 spline. So car isnt ready. They are getting a clutch for me tomorrow ad I will return the one I bought. I cant go over the 4th of July without driving her with the american flags waving and the ttops off.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 PM
ATIS
Racer

Got her back today, new clutch and resurfaced flywheel....cost me $576. Now to return the clutch I ordered and get my money back. She drives great and as always got lots of looks bringing her home. Had to sneak her into the shop so my son didn't see or I would have had to toss in his car seat and joy riding. That will have to wait for the weekend. I have reports for work to write.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Removing 41yr old plugs...advice?