C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...How many original 1969 ZL1 cars were actually made??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:54 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,045 Posts

For what it’s worth...my knowledge is as follows...

The white car is assumed to be a build up by a shop that was involved in “restoration” of cars to NCRS specification among other things. They also would build a car “to order” with engine option, transmission and trim tag creation for the color combo wanted by the owner. They claimed the car was legit, but I believe this was not able to be proven. It appeared authentic, was correct and numbers match, and is impossible to tell from real. Because of the shop’s prior “restorations” the reputation of the car was tainted. Because it was restored and not documented during disassembly, it will never be known what it was. Once a car is restored, all the traits that verify it’s authenticity are erased. Sadly that is the case here.

The yellow car is a ZL1 and was owned by a guy who was very active in vintage corvette collecting. The car had ALL docs and protecto plate. Sold to a guy who went to prison on drug charges, the cops never found the paperwork and docs on the car when it was seized. It probably went in the trash. Or a FBI guy has saved it forq later. The yellow car has no documentation, was correctly restored, and exists without papers. This car was restored, so just what was replaced or duplicated is open to debate. It it still worth a ton as it’s a ZL1/M22 car....

The red red convertible is “I believe” the other ZL1. It was always displayed this way and is a more desirable convertible/hardtop car. It is also an M40 automatic I believe. This is congruent to what Zora did with his 1968 white test car and is probably what GM wanted to sell for drag racing. I wonder if the posi delete had that in mind...the big thing about this car in my mind is it’s originality. As far as I know it is Unrestored..... Because of that, it’s low miles and the original nature of the car, it’s a very high value car. If it was restored it may be worth a third of what it is now in my view. It is a very historic car that remained hidden in plain sight for years in the shadows of the “real two” other ZL1 cars. The white car saved this thing in a way....

The sad thing is that today due to all of the restoration, faking and cheating, few believe anymore what is or was real.

Last edited by international blue; 08-02-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 AM
bbvette427
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't know anything about car other than it's in a collection in Punta Gorda Fl.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:20 PM
guy gadbois
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok...y'all probably dont care as I am certainly not a known expert - or an unknown one either - on these cars [or most anything else] but...
Back in the early 80s - 80 or 81, I cant remember - I wrote a research paper/thesis in college on ZL1 Corvettes. This was before most people even know about them and way before the cars got stupid expensive, hence, the fraudulent activity level was low. The paper was for a R&W [rhetoric and writing] class; the thrust of the assignment was to develop and utilise research skills and produce a coherent and cohesive paper - subject didnt matter, so I picked something that interested me. Anyway, this was way before the internet and really before there was TOO much organisation in the Corvette hobby. The ncrs was in its infancy.
Long story short is that after a hellacious long distance phone bill, talking to many folk that did / should know, I was left with the understanding that only 2 cars were ever produced on the assembly line / for sale to the public. A yellow one and a white one as I remember. There were a couple of 'engineering mules' that 'may' [cough cough] have seen some time on certain streets in the Detroit area, but they did not start life as/roll off the line in St Louis as ZL1 cars. Racers may well have built a couple more.
Through a friend who knew Ernie Callard, I was able to speak directly with him and even Vince Piggins once; learned some fun stuff from them and even got a couple of trick part numbers and good advice for a Corvette I was building at the time.
Just my 2 cents andworth what it costs you...
The following 2 users liked this post by guy gadbois:
85nova (08-04-2019), mako1969 (06-17-2023)
Old 08-03-2019, 04:35 PM
orourke
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bbvette427
Don't know anything about car other than it's in a collection in Punta Gorda Fl.

I remember reading about that one in Corvette Fever. It would be painful trying to find that write up now in my CF stash.
The following users liked this post:
85nova (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 11:12 AM
85nova
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ZL1 Thesis

I'd love to read your thesis.

Originally Posted by guy gadbois
Ok...y'all probably dont care as I am certainly not a known expert - or an unknown one either - on these cars [or most anything else] but...
Back in the early 80s - 80 or 81, I cant remember - I wrote a research paper/thesis in college on ZL1 Corvettes. This was before most people even know about them and way before the cars got stupid expensive, hence, the fraudulent activity level was low. The paper was for a R&W [rhetoric and writing] class; the thrust of the assignment was to develop and utilise research skills and produce a coherent and cohesive paper - subject didnt matter, so I picked something that interested me. Anyway, this was way before the internet and really before there was TOO much organisation in the Corvette hobby. The ncrs was in its infancy.
Long story short is that after a hellacious long distance phone bill, talking to many folk that did / should know, I was left with the understanding that only 2 cars were ever produced on the assembly line / for sale to the public. A yellow one and a white one as I remember. There were a couple of 'engineering mules' that 'may' [cough cough] have seen some time on certain streets in the Detroit area, but they did not start life as/roll off the line in St Louis as ZL1 cars. Racers may well have built a couple more.
Through a friend who knew Ernie Callard, I was able to speak directly with him and even Vince Piggins once; learned some fun stuff from them and even got a couple of trick part numbers and good advice for a Corvette I was building at the time.
Just my 2 cents andworth what it costs you...
Old 08-04-2019, 12:17 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

The blue one with the nose stripe is beautiful but everyone knows its not factory. That "window sticker" is a bad repro.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
The blue one with the nose stripe is beautiful but everyone knows its not factory. That "window sticker" is a bad repro.

That blue in that light... the car is stunningly gorgeous!
85nova (08-06-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
That blue in that light... the car is stunningly gorgeous!
I agree....I would probably want the blue car more than the other three! The yellow one is always been a knockout to me though and if I had $125,000....I would build one identical!

Jebby
85nova (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 AM
85nova
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1969 ZL1 big-block

Yes, black stripes are killer!

A new ZL1 shortblock 'only' costs $7K https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12370850.html

Hey, why not put fuel injection on it like the Can-Am cars?

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
I agree....I would probably want the blue car more than the other three! The yellow one is always been a knockout to me though and if I had $125,000....I would build one identical!

Jebby
Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM
guy gadbois
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85nova
I'd love to read your thesis.
Thanks... I would too! IF it was even returned - which I cant remember - after grading, I didnt keep it for some reason...
Old 08-16-2019, 02:55 AM
rynoshark
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have photos of the trim tags on the yellow, white or orange cars? I'd be curious how they appear. Would love to read Guy's thesis as well!

Last edited by rynoshark; 08-16-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 85nova
Yes, black stripes are killer!

A new ZL1 shortblock 'only' costs $7K https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12370850.html

Hey, why not put fuel injection on it like the Can-Am cars?
That's $7k for the BARE-block.

They don't seem to sell an assembled short-block.

If you want the whole thing, it's only $23k and change:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19166392
85nova (08-18-2019)

Quick Reply: So...How many original 1969 ZL1 cars were actually made??