Sponsored by:

Finally ! in position for my first Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Finally ! in position for my first Vette

So i'm finally in a position to be able to purchase my first (c3) Corvette at 48 years of age. My kids are almost out of house and i'm ready to do this for myself..

Have my heart set on a 68 to 75 Vert in driver quality.
Don't care about original parts so much as 'bang for the buck' with respect to mechanically sound and paint/interior condition.

i've been reading posts here in the For sale forum as well as Craigslist and Autotrader Classic looking for something that speaks to me.

A question though - I am getting the sense that a good quality driver runs anywhere from say $18k for something closer to 75 all the way up to $37k for something closer to 68. Am I in the right ballpark there ? Trying to dial my budget in...

One other last question - i saw a nice (for me) color combo in a 75 vert of black paint with oxblood interior. was that an original option ?
car is here https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/100735600
Old 05-08-2016, 03:52 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

hi and welcome, i have not posted on here in a long time since i sold my 72 about 5 years ago but i read the for sale section every day. im also looking for a vette for the last 2 years but im pretty picky, anyway 75s did not come in black exterior but that 75 looks really nice in pics. price doesnt seem bad either. make sure you check the birdcage and frame really good. as we all know fiberglass dont rust but the rest does,lol. good luck, Nutsy
Old 05-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome and good luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Do it.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsy
make sure you check the birdcage and frame really good. as we all know fiberglass dont rust but the rest does,lol. good luck, Nutsy

The biggest bag over the head, punch in the face one can get with the c3's is finding our dream car and it looks super and closer inspection shows all kinds of hidden rust...there is a sticky thread on buying a c3 that shows some really horrible examples of rust.

the other thing is from 68-82 the c3 changed a lot it's heart and soul still might be a beast but as they moved forward they got more and more refined,

A 68-72 or a 73 then 74-75 are very different creatures and looks,
I was like you in a way I had to have a convertible this time, most all my vettes have been, but I was on a far smaller budget than you have,
Take a good look at say a 69 convertible and then a 75 convertible I can almost bet one style will look better to you,

For me I didn't care I knew I was going to mod my car into what I wanted...my 69 looked like a 73 when I got it and hiding rust has caused a near full restoration....
Old 05-08-2016, 06:38 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
The biggest bag over the head, punch in the face one can get with the c3's is finding our dream car and it looks super and closer inspection shows all kinds of hidden rust...there is a sticky thread on buying a c3 that shows some really horrible examples of rust.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by oldgto; 05-08-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The autotrader ad says 6 cylinder in two places.....maybe a typo??
Old 05-08-2016, 08:23 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

You guys are a welcoming bunch! thanks for the replies
on the 6 cylinder mention in the online posting...I noticed that too.. emailed the owner to clarify ...

Am also looking for feedback to my two original questions -
1) is my budget i mentioned seem appropriate for what i'm looking at
2) someone already clarified that black wasn't a standard color offering in the 75. Is what the owner calling "oxblood" interior the same as "dark red" ?

Originally Posted by rdroket
The autotrader ad says 6 cylinder in two places.....maybe a typo??
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello & welcome
That 75 looks sweet & well preserved, most 74 & up run less than that. I restored my 75 after sitting for almost 20 yrs in a dry garage paid $3,500 now & $11,00 nice driver.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Go look at every Vette within driving distance even if you know you are not interested....Take lots of pics and try to learn what to look for when it comes to rust issues. Post the pics here and ask for advice. Enjoy the hunt it may take awhile.

Good luck...
Brian
Old 05-08-2016, 10:06 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

That is a pretty nice looking '75. The interior looks like the dark red from that year. Make sure whatever you buy is solid. Check the frame, body mounts, radiator support and birdcage. If you are looking for a base car the 74/75 can usually be bought in the mid to upper teens with the '73 slightly more. 68-72 cars will usually be mid 20's to low 30's. Expect to pay more for a four speed. These are ballpark driver prices. Selling price is usually not asking price. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:10 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,194 Likes on 2,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
Go look at every Vette within driving distance even if you know you are not interested....Take lots of pics and try to learn what to look for when it comes to rust issues. Post the pics here and ask for advice. Enjoy the hunt it may take awhile.

Good luck...
Brian

A perfect driver would be great, but...............It's better to buy one with suspension problems or paint problems than to buy one with RUST problems!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:41 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Always good to read the advice above. One thing I've noticed is that the pics you see on your computer don't always translate in person, no matter how flawless they seem to be. Went to look at a '65 coupe and the pics were great! Body lines were great. Everything under the hood looked clean and correct. Went to look at the car in person...drove the car down the street only to find the car pulled to the left during acceleration and breaking, the paint had tape marks in places you'd never see until you walked up on it, and after the test drive the motor started tapping (had just been rebuilt).
Moral of the story, please figure out how much money you'd like to spend. Go look at the car and test drive it. Take someone knowledgeable with you, if need be. And be prepared to spend a little more after the purchase...for all the unknowns. Have fun and good luck!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

If I was getting another car, I would look hard and long at this one.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/5560027759.html

Don't know the guy, but man is that worth a look.
Actually looking at it, the console decal says 390 hp 427, but it should be higher if thats a true tri power.
If you get it, you owe me a beer!

Last edited by Lobzila; 05-09-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,337 Likes on 3,939 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Oh my god!!!! I would have gotten that over my 68 verte. WOW!

Back to your question. What part of the country are you looking in? What is your max budget?

Coupes are generally cheaper. The market is kinda full in my area on CL so the prices have come down alittle compared to a month ago. I just searched again and theres a good selection on vertes here now.

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/...auto_year=1975
Theres a good selection here on the forum.

This one in vermont is really nice. Its listed here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rtible-vt.html

I would have bought this if I had the cash over mine

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,337 Likes on 3,939 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

New post cause I keep editting my other

This one has a pic of the birdcage body mount. You dont usually see those pics on craigslist. It maybe from this car or someone elses. But it is a goood example of a nice mount.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5571067392.html
And its a great price if it checks out too

Editing again

You want to check door gaps as well on vertes as it could be an indication of the rear framecondition, body sag or just bad door alignment

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-09-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 AM
vmsns007
Instructor

I'm in Central Indiana. I am most comfortable at or under $20K but would go higher for a great value.

So this raises an interesting point - say the San Diego listing that was shared...are there forum members who regularly makes themselves available (for a fee of course) to "scout" out vehicles for others ?
If so - is there a protocol for asking/reaching out ?

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Back to your question. What part of the country are you looking in? What is your max budget?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally ! in position for my first Vette

Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vmsns007
I'm in Central Indiana. I am most comfortable at or under $20K but would go higher for a great value.

So this raises an interesting point - say the San Diego listing that was shared...are there forum members who regularly makes themselves available (for a fee of course) to "scout" out vehicles for others ?
If so - is there a protocol for asking/reaching out ?
Where that car is at is very close to where I live. I could go look at it, but I am not a professional by any means. I have done a frame off restoration and know what to look for in the way of major issues, but what is acceptable to me may not be acceptable to you. I think your best bet is see it in person, or hire an appraisal service. I would look at it just to kick its tires and talk to the owner though and give you my opinion of it.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM
vmsns007
Instructor

sent you a private mail...

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Where that car is at is very close to where I live. I could go look at it, but I am not a professional by any means. I have done a frame off restoration and know what to look for in the way of major issues, but what is acceptable to me may not be acceptable to you. I think your best bet is see it in person, or hire an appraisal service. I would look at it just to kick its tires and talk to the owner though and give you my opinion of it.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
t dino
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vmsns007
So i'm finally in a position to be able to purchase my first (c3) Corvette at 48 years of age. My kids are almost out of house and i'm ready to do this for myself..

Have my heart set on a 68 to 75 Vert in driver quality.
Don't care about original parts so much as 'bang for the buck' with respect to mechanically sound and paint/interior condition.

i've been reading posts here in the For sale forum as well as Craigslist and Autotrader Classic looking for something that speaks to me.

A question though - I am getting the sense that a good quality driver runs anywhere from say $18k for something closer to 75 all the way up to $37k for something closer to 68. Am I in the right ballpark there ? Trying to dial my budget in...

One other last question - i saw a nice (for me) color combo in a 75 vert of black paint with oxblood interior. was that an original option ?
car is here https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/100735600
I bought my first vette 10 years ago and everyone has an answer the first question you have to ask is can you do the work yourself or do you have to the key word is find a good and knowledgeable mechanic are you a purist or modified if modified you better know what you are working with if its stock just go to the ecklers catalog and order the same or upgraded part. check all your cooling controls airdams etc then look at the prices to do each section of the car at a shop electrical problems and diagnosing over $1000 It the headlights don't work depending on the problem it can get quite pricy their is many ways to hook up they are vacuum connected depends on engine. control arms over $1000 . Rear suspension over $2,000 dollars interior easily a couple thousand dollars wheel bearings were over $1000 and the reviews say do not do this yourself unless you are a experienced mechanic as you can see the list goes on and on find what you want and pay more just make sure all work is documented with receipts good luck and get someone who can ease the pain of your purchase with their knowledge their is some extremely knowledgeable folks on this site

Quick Reply: Finally ! in position for my first Vette