C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome vs ceramic coated side pipes, what holds up better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default chrome vs ceramic coated side pipes, what holds up better?

I noticed my 10 years old chrome hooker side pipes are very pitted and surface rusted where the tires toss water & debris onto them under the car and was thinking of going with jet hot or a HTC coated header next time. has anyone had side pipes with the ceramic coating for more then 10 years and can tell me how they are holding up?
do you still get the pitting like chrome or do they hold up better under the car in that area?
Old 04-03-2016, 04:53 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
I noticed my 10 years old chrome hooker side pipes are very pitted and surface rusted where the tires toss water & debris onto them under the car and was thinking of going with jet hot or a HTC coated header next time. has anyone had side pipes with the ceramic coating for more then 10 years and can tell me how they are holding up?
do you still get the pitting like chrome or do they hold up better under the car in that area?

I had my Jet hot coated headers for Nine years before i started the frame off work and saw absolutely no pits at all. The only thing I saw was very little surface rust at collectors in the hard to reach spots when drying the car after a wash. They did honor their "Lifetime" warranty when I sent them back for free coating due to that rust. It was really no big issue but since I was doing a frame off Resto/Mod and were already off the car I sent them back to them and they were back in two short weeks!!... hope that helps

Last edited by redcruz1120; 04-03-2016 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lyndwood (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

thats what I wanted to here & see, clean set up!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what I wanted to here & see, clean set up!
I also had a set of Hooker Super Comps coated by Jet Hot. In less than a year I had rust spots showing where all four pipes combine into the collector. I took them to Jet Hot and they re-finished them but said that was it for my lifetime warranty. I recently pulled my pipes off(maybe seven years later) and was surprised at how bad the finish was considering how little the car has been driven. Ive always avoided the rain and wet conditions. When I get home I'll have to take and upload some pics. I am going back to an undercar exhaust partly because of this.

Last edited by 'Bochawa72; 04-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I have chrome hookers on my 69 and the pipe part is in ugly header wrap I like the road race look it gives and I dont get burnt,
I figure I will need new pipes in a few years and I will never consider chrome I will go with stainless and or coated but chrome sucks on exhaust, it really takes a beating on my ACVW stuff....
Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

stainless will last
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

be it chrome,stainless or coated has anyone ever thought of making or supplying some kind of splash shield that would keep water & debris from getting thrown up onto the pipes that parallel the front floor boards going out to the side pipes? thats where the most of my rust/pitting is up on top of those 4 horizontal pipes.
I may try to make a stainless guard or shield that extends off the underside of the floor behind the wheel well & wraps under the pipes to deter that mess?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My chrome headers lasted 2 yrs, very pissed! Took the sidepipes and had them stripped and Jetcoated and 20 yrs later they still look like new. Bought a new set of Headers from Jethot already coated back in 2006 and they look like the day i bought them and i drive my vette a lot in nice weather. I love chrome but not on Headers!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

be it chrome,stainless or coated has anyone ever thought of making or supplying some kind of splash shield that would keep water & debris from getting thrown up onto the pipes that parallel the front floor boards going out to the side pipes? thats where the most of my rust/pitting is up on top of those 4 horizontal pipes.
I may try to make a stainless guard or shield that extends off the underside of the floor behind the wheel well & wraps under the pipes to deter that mess?
Or just keep it clean...
Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

I've had experience with both. I think it's hit and miss if they stand the course of time. An vette club member paid $5000 for custom made stainless steel sidepipe headers for his BB and they look really great today. I don't know how many years ago he paid $5000.

Get notified of new replies

To chrome vs ceramic coated side pipes, what holds up better?

Quick Reply: chrome vs ceramic coated side pipes, what holds up better?