Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 AM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Not available in NC. And as for driving it anywhere, from their website:

Classic Automobile: A motor vehicle ten or more years old, which is rare or of special historical interest because of exceptionally fine workmanship or limited production. A classic motor vehicle 25 years old or older is covered as an antique.
Antique Automobile: A motor vehicle 25 or more years old.
And here are some important conditions for classic car insurance eligibility:

Your antique or classic car must be used on a very limited basis, such as exhibitions, club activities, and parades or similar events.

You need to have restored, maintained, or preserved your antique or classic car.
We have State Farm regular on all our autos and property. I had a discussion with our agent regarding their Classis insurance. She never told me it was unavailable here. However the way she described it, it was so restrictive, driving it anywhere was almost taboo. I do beleive the word "trailer" was included in that conversation. That was a couple years ago and i havent checked again. Now you guys can take issue and i hope i never have a claim to find out, but after talking with my agent, she got with a guy in another department about the car. I dont remember what table he used to calculate the value, but because the car is as old as it is, he figured the value as $13500.00 which is about right for my car, and by carrying collision, it covers it up to that amount. I am sure in an accident i will be screwed on the total loss determination, but it works for me for now. Hagerty is brokered by another agent nearby and i may change in the future.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:30 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills69n84
well all the classic car insurance co. dont like you to drive your toy to work ,I drive mine everywhere but cant drive it to work!!

I won't tell.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

I have American Modern. I am allowed 5k a year. I don't think I will do that in my lifetime with this car.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

American Collectors Ins. Cherry Hill NJ 800.360.2277....
Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM
hdal
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

2x American coll ins! My 78'S/A is ins for $13,500,0-0-0 deductable,,$100k-300k liab.With 78'collectors lic plt,$160 yr! This is with 7,500mi cap with occasional gen use whenever. I'm in Mich,no MCCA surcharge with"collectors"plt. Hdal
Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hdal
2x American coll ins! My 78'S/A is ins for $13,500,0-0-0 deductable,,$100k-300k liab.With 78'collectors lic plt,$160 yr! This is with 7,500mi cap with occasional gen use whenever. I'm in Mich,no MCCA surcharge with"collectors"plt. Hdal
Well then I did something wrong because I did the quote thing about an hour ago on my 76 valued at 14K with 7,500mi cap and got a quote of $500 plus
Old 04-01-2016, 03:34 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Call and talk to a rep. I have hagerty.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim2527
Call and talk to a rep. I have hagerty.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 PM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I've had Hagerty for years on several cars. I've never heard from anyone in any of those years asking how many miles I've driven. The main requirement is you must have another car that is an insured daily driver. Doesn't have to be insured with Hagerty.

PS: No one from Hagerty has even seen my cars. I send a photo when I insure. The only communication is the annual renewal.
Same here
Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 157 Posts

I dumped State Farm six years ago and have my 5 classics with Hagerty...saved a ton. I also can drive to work. I do have other daily drivers that I insure with a traditional company.

Hagerty also insures my enclosed race car trailer AND tow vehicle. Good luck with your search....

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 04-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wait til Hagerty asks you if the car is modified and answer how much power it has. Sit down for the price!

NCM no complaints...havent even gotten to drive it once this yr

cheat the ins you have to take the chance of a denied claim and possibly a fraud charge Id bet. If you drive it for "everywhere" just get regular ins.

Last edited by cv67; 04-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:12 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys
Old 04-03-2016, 09:08 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefred
I dumped State Farm six years ago and have my 5 classics with Hagerty...saved a ton. I also can drive to work.
Does your policy actually say you can? I looked into Hagerty a few years ago and the rep I was emailing gave the impression driving to work was OK but wouldn't state so clearly in writing. I looked at the policy and concluded that no matter what the Hagerty reps want you to believe their policy does not cover driving to work, or even stopping for an errand on the way home from a car show.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
OK, this interests me, and I would like the group to help me figure this out....if you do drive your car on a Monday, and then on Thursday, and you have an accident on Thursday.....how is the insurance company going to know you drove it on Monday?, and therefore deny coverage on your Thursday accident?

I understand that the insurance company is counting on us to only drive cars alot fewer days per year than our daily driver. But if I drive the car to work every day for three weeks, and then is sits in my garage all winter long, I still have driven it far less. The intent of the insurance companies is to try to control how much we drive, and therefore provide us much more reasonable rates, etc..... But I want someone to explain IF and how they will deny coverage on Thursday if I actually drove it Monday Tuesday and Wednesday??

Really, explain how the insurance company is going to penalize you by denying coverage on a Wednesday afternoon....? Explain it.

And oh no, now that I have said this on this forum,.....the insurance spies are going to deny me coverage cause I have publicized an opinion or an intent to drive the car when I want.
Progressive Insurance has that black box...the one that 'tells' them you're a good driver or not!!!

The police in my city are 'taking' pictures of your license plate - date and time stamping w/ GPS....

My favorite story- guy in the BMW club takes his car to track day...has an off road excursion ...gets the tow truck to drop the car off down the road away from the track- then call police/insurance!!!

I have Hagerty's on my 73- told them I was taking my car on the Hotrod Power Tour-3000 miles in one week...they didn't say no...

Richard
Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some reps may not know everything make sure its in writing so theres no surprises should something happen. "She said" wont mean diddly then trust me
Good luck

Last edited by cv67; 04-03-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

This is copied and pasted from MY POLICY WITH HAGERTY:

“Antique vehicle” means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that is:
1. maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public
interest or for a private collection; and
2. used only infrequently for other purposes.
“Classic vehicle” means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production which was
originally manufactured within the past 24 years and is an object of curiosity which is:
1. maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public
interest or for a private collection, and
2. used only infrequently for other purposes.
For purposes of this policy, a “classic vehicle” also includes a reproduction model of an “antique
vehicle” or a “classic vehicle” as defined above. Reproduction model means:
1. reproduction models of vehicles older than 24 years; or
2. all vehicles which have been substantially re-manufactured

There is no definition of "infrequently" in the policy.

And here are the restrictions:

1. Any “antique vehicle”, “classic vehicle” or “exotic and special interest vehicle” shown in the
Declarations.
2. A “newly acquired auto”.
“Newly acquired auto” means any:
1. “antique vehicle”;
2. “classic vehicle”; or
3. “antique vehicle” or “classic vehicle” of the “motorcycle” type, but is not a reproduction or
“structurally modified motorcycle”
on the date you became owner during the policy period, whether as a new vehicle or replacement of
a vehicle shown in the Declarations, provided that:
1. It is in stock condition and has not been modified from the original manufactured design;
2. You ask us to insure it within 30 days after you become the owner; and
3. We insure all of your collector vehicles

You must also own and have insured by another insuror a daily driver
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 426 Likes on 209 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I saw in another thread about classic insurance where someone ask an agent "If it's a pretty day and I decide to drive my class to go get lunch, is that OK?" The answer was NO.

I have NCM classic on my cars, so I called them. I ask if I could drive my classic to visit my mom, on a nice day, who lives 5 miles away? I was told NO.

Car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest.

Occasional pleasure driving. I was told pleasure driving is "driving without a destination", not going to get lunch, visit my mom...

So be careful, if anything happens, when you tell them where you were going or where you had been.

Last edited by randy ransome; 04-03-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Classic car insurance that allows for more than weekends and car show driving

Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

One more from Hagerty:

What are your usage restrictions/guidelines?

Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows.

There have been a lot of "opinions" about what's covered. I gave you some in writing from the company. You choose which to believe. A couple of years ago, I had a claim on my 65. No one asked me what day of the week, where I was going, or how many miles I drove it. They mailed a check to the body shop.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-03-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:29 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
I have NCM classic on my cars, so I called them. I ask if I could drive my classic to visit my mom, on a nice day, who lives 5 miles away? I was told NO.
You don't have the "9-5" extra coverage, right?

I do and I asked Adam @ NCM if it was OK to drive to work and then take a coworker and grab some lunch. Adam said that was fine. I think the extra coverage was like $70 a year and I'm keeping it even though I haven't taken the vette to work in ages.

Last edited by zwede; 04-03-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default How

Originally Posted by zwede
Does your policy actually say you can? I looked into Hagerty a few years ago and the rep I was emailing gave the impression driving to work was OK but wouldn't state so clearly in writing. I looked at the policy and concluded that no matter what the Hagerty reps want you to believe their policy does not cover driving to work, or even stopping for an errand on the way home from a car show.
So, does that mean to you that if you had an accident on the way home from work, that Hagerty or the other insurance companies would ask, or somehow find out, and deny your claim? I am seriously interested in knowing how this would play out?

Quick Reply: Classic car insurance that allows for more than weekends and car show driving