Sponsored by:

HardTop question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default HardTop question?

I have a 71 convertible and have a chance to purchase a hardtop from a 75. Will the 75 top fit?

Thanks

Russ
Old 01-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it will. There's no difference other than date codes on the glass.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:30 AM
V4motorsports
Pro

Great!!!!

Thanks

Russ
Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

It will fit.
There may be a center stud for the rear deck lid.
If your car didn't come with a hardtop you'll need to either add the stud hole and ferrule OR remove the stud from the hardtop.
You may also need to add the interior retaining hardware on the lid next to the seat head rest on either side.
Above changes are easy to make but you'll want to keep them in mind if you are planning to drive, install, and drive away with the top.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
It will fit.
There may be a center stud for the rear deck lid.
If your car didn't come with a hardtop you'll need to either add the stud hole and ferrule OR remove the stud from the hardtop.
You may also need to add the interior retaining hardware on the lid next to the seat head rest on either side.
Above changes are easy to make but you'll want to keep them in mind if you are planning to drive, install, and drive away with the top.
He can make it home without the side mounts but certainly they are a must to install afterward.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-03-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
He can make it home without the side mounts but certainly they are a must to install afterward.

DUB
Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

DUB,

The truth be known, the hardtop sits in my basement, ready for the next owner. It has been used for one winter for storage. I have a beautiful Haarzt soft top that does the job in the summer. It usually goes down in May and comes back up in October.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

As you consider the hard top for your car, make sure the SIDE attaching brackets are included.

These brackets secure the top to the inside edge of the deck lid. As paul 74 points out, you NEED to secure the top here. I mention this because I don't think these brackets are avaialble in reproduction. They are very hard to find.

To be "correct" for 1975, the top should have stainless steel trim tips on the point of each quarter. These are available in reproduction if the top you buy doesn't have them.

Weather stripping is available in reproduction, although it's pretty expensive. You should consider these costs when negotiating for your top. All the other mounting hardware that's been mentioned above is avaialble too.

Hope this helps.

BTW, You didn't mention whether you are looking at a body colored top or a vinyl covered top. I have a body colored hard top on my chrome bumper convertible. Unlike many here that have them, I absolutely love it. I use it in the early spring and again in late fall, just before I put the car away for the winter. In my mind, it adds a great look to the car. If you are looking at a body colored top for your convertible, here's a photo of what it'll look like when installed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Paul, I sold my 70's hardtop faster than a cat can lick his, well, you get the picture. Then I remember that not everyone in our CF world lives in a temperate weather zone. I always say a little prayer that you guys to whom the autumnal equinox is not just another reason to barbecue and drink beer will have a quick and easy winter. Keep the faith, keep warm and always keep a Vette, preferably a C-3.
TexMac
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by radiotexas
Hi Paul, I sold my 70's hardtop faster than a cat can lick his, well, you get the picture. Then I remember that not everyone in our CF world lives in a temperate weather zone. I always say a little prayer that you guys to whom the autumnal equinox is not just another reason to barbecue and drink beer will have a quick and easy winter. Keep the faith, keep warm and always keep a Vette, preferably a C-3.
TexMac
Those are very kind words. The fact of the matter is that the hard top was a winter project several years ago, and it was restored very well at a pretty significant cost. One of winter basement projects when the days are dull. I loved the way it turned out although I rarely use it. The next owner of my 1974 may like it. BTW, it looks like -5*F tonight. It was pretty cool when I took down the Xmas decorations today.

My kitty does not lick...he had a great Xmas. Funny though to see a kitten see its first snow. He had no idea what it was nor what to do with it. He just gave up and stayed in the hiuse.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-04-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Even though I live in Florida (hot,hot,hot) I still enjoy putting my color matched hard top on occasionally , gives the car a whole different look and feel. Between top down, black soft up, hard top on, like three different cars. Mark
Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Like many CF northerners I'm looking forward to April when the vert comes out and the top goes down. It stays down til November when the top goes up and the maintainer gets plugged in. Without a basement the hardtop would just take up garage space that's at a premium.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Great advice from everyone. Thanks. The top I am looking at is vinyl covered in red, with red interior panels. Not sure if all mounting hardware is included but did ask for additional photos.

I really like the look of a hardtop and being from NE, I think I will need it in the early spring and late fall.

Thanks everyone.

Russ

Get notified of new replies

To HardTop question?

Quick Reply: HardTop question?