Sponsored by:

No Luck Selling C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet76te
Any car, regardless of make, model, year or condition will sell if it is priced right and advertised where everyone can see it.

Have you tried listing it on eBay?

I've recently bought several cars off eBay. It's hard for anyone else to match the selection available.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Problem is supply versus demand. Highest production years ever for Corvettes were from 74-79, with 79 being the highest year ever. The demand is not that great with respect to the number of these model years that are available.

I have a friend that bought a 78 with a nice paint job, non matching, for $3500. So it has to be a very special 78 or 79 to hit 9 to 10k in price.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I sold my '74 for $20,000 after one week on Craigslist.

Then again, it was worth a lot more.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

At the moment, it seems that the only thing harder to sell than a late model C3 is a Harley Davidson. The Harley market is swamped. I finally traded my '04 E-Glide for an '81 with a 4 speed. I don't think the Vette market is swamped, but decent '80-'82s aren't hard to find either.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I'd use the word "trouble" selling it, but it didn't go as I thought it might.

I had a very clean, low mileage '80 with a mountain of documentation for sale at the end of the summer.

I ran it on Craigslist for a few weeks with nothing but scams...nothing.

Ebay was much better in that I had 6 bidders and 7 bids within the first few days. While that sounds good, the highest bid was a couple of thousand below reserve, but there was lots of time left.

The bottom line was that one of the bidders was local, came to look at it, and we agreed on a price and it sold for less than I wanted, but an acceptable amount. It may have sold higher than reserve, it might have gone wild, or it might have died on the vine. You never know with an auction.

I was in "bird in the hand" territory and made the deal with no regrets. I sold a good car to someone new to Corvettes and have not heard a word since.

He did look at about a dozen cars within 100 miles or so and had TONS of options. This strengthened his position for sure.

Quick Reply: No Luck Selling C3