C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on selling car with 2 motors (matching # motor on engine stand)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:28 PM
warhovs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on selling car with 2 motors (matching # motor on engine stand)

I'm considering selling my fully restored 76 L-82 4-spd. When the car was done, I decided to pull the matching # motor and build a 406 that looked like the original motor (painted the aluminum intake orange to look stock, put the stock L-82 valve covers on the 406, transferred the carb/cleaner to the 406, etc). It's a well built 406, but I won't go into the details here. Of course, the headers are not stock appearing.

The car was worth more to me this way, it has much better performance, looks stock, but the original motor is preserved for someone to keep it matching numbers. The original L-82 motor hasn't been cleaned up much, so it's not much to look at.

My question: Is it too hard to sell this way? Will most buyers not be interested without the original motor in the car? Would this be an issue for you, or would you prefer to buy it as is?
Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'd prefer to buy it that way because performance is what these cars are about, to me. Whether a potential buyer values performance like I do or not, the key is that you still have the numbers matching engine and it would go with the car if sold. The new owner could always put the original engine back in- not that I would. It's sitting safely off to the side, preserving whatever collector value the car has. I'd say you're good to go just the way you are.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can speculate about a third of potential buyers would want the original engine; a second third would not care provided they like what you have in it and want (or don't mind) the changes you have made; the final third will not know the engine has been swapped out and possibly will not know how to determine the swap was made.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I'd prefer to buy it that way because performance is what these cars are about, to me. Whether a potential buyer values performance like I do or not, the key is that you still have the numbers matching engine and it would go with the car if sold. The new owner could always put the original engine back in- not that I would. It's sitting safely off to the side, preserving whatever collector value the car has. I'd say you're good to go just the way you are.

The key is you have the engine available. Just don't get ideas about selling it for a couple bucks. Actually, some people interested in the original motor would prefer that the original motor comes with the car, but isn't getting any miles on it now.

Like the others said, it's tough to predict what the eventual buyer would prefer. I would only be interested in the original motor; others want the performance engine. Just keep both options.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM
warhovs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

The key is you have the engine available. Just don't get ideas about selling it for a couple bucks.
Agree, I would never sell just the engine (the 406 sure, but not the matching #s one). It stays with the car!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:06 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I wonder how many Corvettes, come with the original engine (not installed) but are sold with an installed performance updated engine (with the buyer having thoughts of going back to original), only for the buyer to be so taken with the performance that the engines are never swapped out.

It makes for a good selling point for some/most maybe.

If I bought a car with a good strong running engine installed, I would see no practical reason to swap it out..therefore when the time came, I would be the next seller who offers "original engine comes with".
Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I think the 406 is actually a plus in selling your car. Please don't take this wrong but I think when it comes to 74 and later cars, buyers are less concerned about matching numbers and would like the improved performance. I own a 75 convertible and know I would rather have your built 406 in my car than the stock engine. Good luck with your sale, you are offering the buyer the best of both!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,349 Likes on 3,944 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I wish my car came this way, I have the rest of the drive train but no motor. Would have put my restomod on the restoration track.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by tokim
I wonder how many Corvettes, come with the original engine (not installed) but are sold with an installed performance updated engine (with the buyer having thoughts of going back to original), only for the buyer to be so taken with the performance that the engines are never swapped out.

It makes for a good selling point for some/most maybe.

If I bought a car with a good strong running engine installed, I would see no practical reason to swap it out..therefore when the time came, I would be the next seller who offers "original engine comes with".
It sealed the deal for me when I bought my 69. The original freshly rebuilt 350/300 came with the car but on a stand. The Vette had a new 383 stroker crate motor installed. Now the car has the original 350 installed and the crate motor is on the stand waiting for the next project.

Terry
Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran into that situation last year. Someone had a manual trans silver 72 coupe with a for sale sign and I went to look at it. It was outstanding. The guy had it since new. Car was always stored indoors and meticulously cared for. It had an engine transplant and some other modifications over the years all done very nicely. He had all the old parts. "Everything ever taken off including the engine go with it."

I didn't buy the car but at the time I thought to myself if I bought it all the spare parts would come with me and be stored until I told same story to the next buyer. I think it is valuable to have the old parts and agree the buyer would have different ideas as to what to do when they got the car next.

In that case the most impressive thing was the car was so well cared for and in great shape. Never stored except off season, no years in a barn, etc..

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on selling car with 2 motors (matching # motor on engine stand)

Quick Reply: Opinions on selling car with 2 motors (matching # motor on engine stand)