Sponsored by:

My alignment disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Do you mean to tell me that they severely damaged your car and you're not pressing for an insurance claim?
Yes and what the hell did they hit to knock the motor off the mounts and how fast were they pulling it onto the rack. It takes alot to rip a motor off the mounts. How does the oil pan look? And then they blame you?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:54 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

The front suspension is like any other older rear wheel drive car or truck. Easy to understand for a mechanic/shop.

The REAR is whats tricky and takes some time. Read up how to do it, and bring your own shims for the rear to the shop.

Last edited by mikem350; 11-05-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have never had my 68 aligned.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Do you drive it? If not (or if you just trailer it around), it doesn't need to be aligned. If you DO drive it, chances are it was aligned properly before you bought it.

An alignment isn't something you need to do on a regular basis. It's something you need to do when the alignment could have changed (for some known reason): accident, mechanical problem with the suspension, replacement of worn/old parts, hit a MONSTER chuck-hole, etc.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Unfortunately, there are more butchers than bakers, hammer mechanics, and complete morons at these places. How did they break his car, they carelessly beat the crap of it on the street most likely. It is so hard to find a quality and competent shop it is scary. I just did a job by me and there is a auto export place that is next door that works on all Euro stuff. During lunch they take the customers cars out and do burnouts down the street. I never knew that a 911 could lay rubber like that.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 AM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Any recommendations in north central Massachusetts?

What town are you in?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,368 Likes on 3,952 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Westford. Im doing my own work but Im not sure about making sure the brakes are balanced and if I need an alignment I want someone I can trust too.

The brakes seem stiff but function okay
Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Westford. Im doing my own work but Im not sure about making sure the brakes are balanced and if I need an alignment I want someone I can trust too.

The brakes seem stiff but function okay
Corvette Connection in Middleton MA you're not that far away probably about a 40 minute drive. I havent brought my car there yet but I've talked to the owner Ron and I know people who have recommended them. When my car is running and driving i plan on having them do the alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sstocker31
I have videoed a step by step approach to doing your own alignment using nothing more than a level, some string, tapemeasure, jackstands, and a spindle level tool ($130).
I just need some time to do the editing and get it on youtube.....
Simple to do and it drives straight as an arrow now.
I have been looking for something like this for a long time....let us know when its ready....and thanks !!
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:22 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Just went thru something similar last week on a 65 Mustang.
First the Goon with a wrench mashed the brake pedal so hard it bent the booster input rod. Said it was due to error in my installation really WTF??
Then on the nice new, powder coated tie rod adjusters. you know the ones with flats cut in for a 7/8 wrench. The goon uses channel lock pliers and mars the living F^(k out of them.
Oh I didn't mention all parts were new and you could turn the adjusters by hand.
I should have beaten him with the old centerlink
Old 11-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Just went thru something similar last week on a 65 Mustang.
First the Goon with a wrench mashed the brake pedal so hard it bent the booster input rod. Said it was due to error in my installation really WTF??
Then on the nice new, powder coated tie rod adjusters. you know the ones with flats cut in for a 7/8 wrench. The goon uses channel lock pliers and mars the living F^(k out of them.
Oh I didn't mention all parts were new and you could turn the adjusters by hand.
I should have beaten him with the old centerlink
Give HIM the bill for new parts, small claims court is cheap and just the idea of a lien may strighten himout. Good luck
Old 11-08-2015, 09:39 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
All you need to do is to find a Corvette car club near you. Then, ask any member where members of the club take their cars for alignments. There is usually one or two places that get recommended.

Just taking a vintage Corvette (or ANY vintage car, for that matter) to an alignment place you find in the phone book...or one you pass on the street...is a crapshoot. It's much better to ASK someone who would know the answer to your question.
I did get recommendations (a few) to the place in Farmingdale. They were a disaster. When Mike hooked up the car one front tire had 1.5 degrees castor, the other 3.5 degrees.

You can feel the difference in the way the car handles now.

I agree, you can do it yourself. Unfortunately, the amount of time I have to donate to the car is limited. So for me, right now, it is easier to have Mike do it.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts
Default bab mechanics

Originally Posted by midigike
Unfortunately, there are more butchers than bakers, hammer mechanics, and complete morons at these places. How did they break his car, they carelessly beat the crap of it on the street most likely. It is so hard to find a quality and competent shop it is scary. I just did a job by me and there is a auto export place that is next door that works on all Euro stuff. During lunch they take the customers cars out and do burnouts down the street. I never knew that a 911 could lay rubber like that.

It's tough to find a good shop to work on unusual cars. I found out the hard way that Mazda dealer mechanics know almost nothing about servicing the 3rd gen RX-7 with its complex control system for the sequential turbos. Mazda stopped factory-sponsored training almost before the first cars left the boat in CA. So you paid the dealer mechanic to learn on your car. Same way on older Corvettes, unless you find some old guy that is still working. Most people on this forum know as much as the average Chevy mechanic when working on old Vettes. RA
Old 11-09-2015, 07:19 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow that a nightmare . Good honest mechanics are difficult to find. Sounds like you live in a town of criminals

I'm having trouble processing how someone could be in business and treat you this way

But I wouldn't have put up,with the guy who broke my motor mounts.

If I Didn't bust his teeth out .....sounds like what he needed.

I just called my lawyer ......and make his life miserable.

He would have fixed it all and been damn glade he did.

Where in gods name do you live ? Where people destroy your car and then blame you , and tell you to get out of their shop.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 11-09-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Wow that a nightmare . Good honest mechanics are difficult to find. Sounds like you live in a town of criminals

I'm having trouble processing how someone could be in business and treat you this way

But I wouldn't have put up,with the guy who broke my motor mounts.

If I Didn't bust his teeth out .....sounds like what he needed.

I just called my lawyer ......and make his life miserable.

He would have fixed it all and been damn glade he did.

Where in gods name do you live ? Where people destroy your car and then blame you , and tell you to get out of their shop.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT

I live on Long Island, Suffolk County. That is why I posted. I thought a few guys on this site may be looking for a good alignment and I wanted to save them from my nightmare. Mike has been great. Driving the car is back to being a pleasure. Amazing how well these cars handle when aligned properly.

I lot of guys asked why I didn’t make the first guy fix the car. Simple, I didn’t trust him to fix it properly. If anyone here tracks a car, you know what happens when something cuts loose a speed.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I work at a dealer and we normally get paid 1 hour flat rate to do an alignment. No problem on a c5-c7, wicked easy with all the quick cam adjustments.

When I aligned my '81 it took me 4 hours to get everything perfect front and rear, and this was with no frozen nuts or bolts since I just had everything apart. I also had my A'C compressor removed because I knew it would be near impossible to get to the right side shims easily with it installed. So If a C3 came into the shop for one, I would definitely quote a few hours labor to start.

EDIT: and one more thing, If the shop wrecks your car driving it, they are fully responsible for all repairs.

Last edited by qwank; 11-17-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My alignment disaster

Old 11-17-2015, 01:12 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
I live on Long Island, Suffolk County. That is why I posted. I thought a few guys on this site may be looking for a good alignment and I wanted to save them from my nightmare. Mike has been great. Driving the car is back to being a pleasure. Amazing how well these cars handle when aligned properly.

I lot of guys asked why I didn’t make the first guy fix the car. Simple, I didn’t trust him to fix it properly. If anyone here tracks a car, you know what happens when something cuts loose a speed.
I used a shop in Bellmore next to the LIRR station. Place looks like a hole in the wall, but he did a great job on the alignment when I finished the rebuild a few years ago. Took his time to make sure everything was set up right the first time. Wasn't cheap, but it took several hours and was done right the first time.

Jim
Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by 70BBvert
I used a shop in Bellmore next to the LIRR station. Place looks like a hole in the wall, but he did a great job on the alignment when I finished the rebuild a few years ago. Took his time to make sure everything was set up right the first time. Wasn't cheap, but it took several hours and was done right the first time.

Jim
I know that area......the guy who owns Advanced Auto Body right there is Glenn Spielburg...who owns the Astoria 67' L-88 Drag Car.
You might get in touch with him and he may be able to point you in the right direction.....
I installed his spray booth back in 2003 if he is still there.....
At that time I worked out of Amityville.

Jebby
Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

What about Chevy dealers? Anybody have good experience with them? Just asking. I'm going to need to have my 75 aligned sooner or later.

Quick Reply: My alignment disaster