C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought these cars were supposed to be fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

buy a new 17 mm socket. now look into the bolt head end of it. see that angle to make it easier to go on the bolt? grind socket down till the wrench flats go all the way to bottom. now drive that on to the bolt. make sure you are positioned so you don't get more blood on that bumper if it slips...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ddawson
For those every now and then bolts that are just too messed up.
I agree!
Old 09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
sireland67
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old vettes are a mechanical butt hole.
I was working on mine this past Friday, when my sister stopped by.
She said, "I knew you were in the garage because I could hear you cussing".
Old 09-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sireland67
Old vettes are a mechanical butt hole.
I was working on mine this past Friday, when my sister stopped by.
She said, "I knew you were in the garage because I could hear you cussing".
Haha, that's funny! I don't curse much but I do hold the philosophy of taking a break and coming back with a clear head

Any old car can be a witch, and the new stuff IMO isn't any better. I figure if you can see the bolt AND put your hands/ wrench/ socket at the same time, you are doing pretty good! A lot of what I get involved in at work, you can't do both.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
For those rounded off bolt heads or nuts , Sears sells a set of special sockets that have a spiral grip inside that works like an easy-out . Those things grip like weld and will remove anything , no matter how much they are rounded off. One of the best tools that I own.
I have a set. No harm in giving them a try.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry about the issues .

The old saying ...pay for,what you get.

I always advise people who like driving and riding better than turning wrenches to BUY UP FRONT ....buy the best car you can possibly afford ......buy a car somebody else has already bleed their bank account and veins dry.

I been there done my corvette restorations 30 years ago .....I'm into effortless fun . Minor repairs only .
Old 09-13-2015, 06:04 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

The caliper bolts are 5/8
Old 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts
Default old vettes

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Sorry about the issues .

The old saying ...pay for,what you get.

I always advise people who like driving and riding better than turning wrenches to BUY UP FRONT ....buy the best car you can possibly afford ......buy a car somebody else has already bleed their bank account and veins dry.

I been there done my corvette restorations 30 years ago .....I'm into effortless fun . Minor repairs only .
LS4- good advise. I thought I was doing that with this car. Paid an inspector to evaluate the car in TX before buying it and shipping to VA. Major stuff was OK but he obviously did not rip the dash apart to find the wiring problems I have and did not find the damaged bolt on the brake calipers, which were brand new with new pads. I had thought about getting a C6 convert for about the same $$$ I have invested in the 68. Had I done so, I'd be driving it now. RA
Old 09-13-2015, 10:42 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The C-3 are hell to work on
Old 09-14-2015, 07:29 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by illenema
The C-3 are hell to work on

But a hell lot better than a C4!!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
I've been eyeing C6es.
Why? So you can own a Corvette that has so many computers you can't repair it yourself?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Ha! Once I was at a wedding talking to someone I had just met.
I told him I was a computer programmer. He replied, "Not with those hands!"
Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron, you came to the right place. Everyone here has similar stories. Right now I only have four cuts on my hands. My fingernails need scrubbing every day. Sometimes I can spend half a day on my 72 and not accomplish anything. Sometimes I need to spend an hour or so just putting tools away because I can't find things anymore. And sometimes I think I am the only one who does these crazy projects that cost time, money and frustration. But around here, we know we are not alone.

When someone comes over and asks if the 72 restoration is finished, I just chuckle.

Corvette ownership is not a spectator sport..............
Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default fun

Originally Posted by brdd
Ron, you came to the right place. Everyone here has similar stories. Right now I only have four cuts on my hands. My fingernails need scrubbing every day. Sometimes I can spend half a day on my 72 and not accomplish anything. Sometimes I need to spend an hour or so just putting tools away because I can't find things anymore. And sometimes I think I am the only one who does these crazy projects that cost time, money and frustration. But around here, we know we are not alone.

When someone comes over and asks if the 72 restoration is finished, I just chuckle.

Corvette ownership is not a spectator sport..............
brdd- thanks. I went thru this when I got my fourth RX-7. Previous three I got new, the 93 I was the second owner, so there were not too many Bubba issues, only the complaints about the complex control system for the turbos. I have that car better than new, with help from the RX-7 forum, so I thought I would try a Corvette for my next project. Always liked the C3 and several family members had them. Of course a 50 year old car with unknown number of previous owners is a little different. I'll get this one fixed up too, but it will take a little more effort. Drove it around my neighborhood yesterday scaring the pets, little children and me, whenever I gave that big block a little throttle. Man these cars have low end torque! RA
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing news worthy here. just another corvette owner.

I feel for ya. I am perfectly happy to get a tech to work on some things. even after I screw them up. I just show up with humility and say fix it, then hand my wallet over.

I tell people I bought a shop because it was cheaper than taking it to someone else s shop.

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I have been fixing the relatively minor, but time-consuming problems on my "new" Corvette. Today I finally gave up trying to figure out all of the cut and spliced wires that the previous owner Bubba Dumass did to the windshield wiper motor. I'll pay someone to pull THEIR hair out. So I thought I would do a relatively easy job of installing my new drilled and slotted disc brake rotors and upgraded brake pads. I have a little creeper seat on wheels and you can jack the car up so everything is at a convenient work height. Got the wheel off, got the old pads out and was starting to remove the two 11/16 inch bolts that hold the caliper in place so I could replace the rotor. It seems Bubba rounded off the corners on one of the bolts and instead of replacing the bolt, put it back on. ........and really tight. I tried to loosen it with one of my six point sockets and even that kept slipping. I got the socket really well positioned and had an extension on my wrench handle to give more leverage. As I was leaning on it even harder, the wrench slipped, I fell forward, smashed my face into the car bumper, broke my glasses and got a two inch cut on my eyebrow. After getting the bleeding stopped, I put all my tools away, went in the house and am sitting watching the Yankees with an ice pack on my face, three fingers of Jack Daniels in a glass and my trusty dog Cali at my feet. RA
Old 09-18-2015, 10:54 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I have a set. No harm in giving them a try.

That's the ones !
Old 09-18-2015, 12:32 PM
gavino
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The notorious 68 wiper motor and wiring.

Originally Posted by E.Murray
Couldn't help but laugh (in total sympathy). I've run into the situation so many times it really is only funny if you have a morbid sense of humor... My wife has come to the garage too many times to find me hopping mad at some numbskull (to use a more polite term) that had my car before me and cost me 4 hours so he could save the 3 minutes it would've taken to do the job right. I'm inches away from giving up on sorting the wiper wiring in my '68.
Take a couple days off, read through some build threads to get a sense of the normalcy of your plight, then hit it again. Or, at least, that's what I have to do.
I probably spent close to 8 months trying to get my wipers going on my 68. I don't remember how much I drank. After a while even that didn't help. Willcox Corvette can help you with the wiring. You will probably get the wiring set correctly(it's not that complicated) but it still probably won't work The motors are always good but the contact set and solenoid in the cam and gear section may be a problem. The safety switch may not be making contact or the solenoid on the tach may not be working. This system was sooo good that they only used it one year! If you want some help contact me directly.

Get notified of new replies

To I thought these cars were supposed to be fun?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Had one of those caliper bolts on the 68 that was Bubba'd. Soak it with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF and let it penetrate. Get a cheap 6 point 15mm impact socket and knock it over the bolt head. Put your impact wrench on it and give it a few quick raps forward then backwards and it should come out.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default bolts

Originally Posted by bj1k
That's the ones !
Bought these, unfortunately they did not work. Bubba installed using a thin head bolt. Just not enough metal to get a hold on.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default bolts

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
Had one of those caliper bolts on the 68 that was Bubba'd. Soak it with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF and let it penetrate. Get a cheap 6 point 15mm impact socket and knock it over the bolt head. Put your impact wrench on it and give it a few quick raps forward then backwards and it should come out.
1Fordman- I did get the other side off using your method. My 6 point 11/16 socket had too much slop to grip properly. Pounded a 17 mm socket on until it was fully seated and put a four foot persuader on my breaker bar and must have used at least 200 ft-lbs to finally get it to snap free- thought at first the bolt just broke. Got second bolt out the same way. PO Bubba used a peculiar thin head bolt that is neither English nor metric (or just poor quality control on size). I mic'ed it and it is 17.4mm, which is too large for a 17 mm socket (unless you pound the crap out of it to get it on) and too small for an 11/16 in socket (0.685 vs 0.6875 in). Thought I was in like Flint until I found the rotor was rusted fast to the hub, so I still could not install my new drilled, slotted rotor. Penetrating oil, heating until cherry red and pounding with a sledge hammer did not loosen it. Local shops were too busy to loosen it with a hydraulic shop press- so......I have always wanted one, but never had a real need for one until now. So I bought a 50 ton press. It is always a good repair if you get to buy another tool! Plus, if I ever get to meet PO Bubba I may put his nuts in the press for all the grief he has caused. RA

Quick Reply: I thought these cars were supposed to be fun?