C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what IS a 75 base model actually worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Default So, what IS a 75 base model actually worth?

car is listed in for sale section. i posted this question before i bought it. i found it at a car auction where vette guys don't usually go looking for cars. care is quite nice. not flawless but everything on it is around 8 out of 10. guys on here were saying only 5k. other guys started saying 10 to 15 if really clean. they started arguing and thread got closed. i have read a lot of for sale ads here, and see many comments about how nice it is, GLWS, all that. i listed it at 10k. so far i have heard...crickets. am i that high? (literally and figuratively?) oh yeah; 66k. new parts all over it gives me the impression it was a really well-kept car. upkeep parts, not mods.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

The guys saying 5K are giving a price that would be the lowest conceivable price for such a car, an exceptional deal that would be extremely hard to find.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I paid $5.5K for my car last September, prices seemed to have dropped since last year, up here any way. There are at least 5 comparable cars in that price range on northern Mi craigslist, and they are not moving. Mike
Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

In my opinion if the car is as nice as you described you should be able to sell it for around $10k if there are no rust issues. I sold a very similar car to what you described last year for $9800. Mine was a '74 but I doubt that added much value. It was however completely rust free had original paperwork, and looked great.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

First off, I'd stop calling it a base model.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 PM
derekderek
Race Director

what do you call a power steering only model? T-Top? high performance L-48 corvette engine? Dual exhaust (except in the middle where the cat is)?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM
grancuda
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, colors & options like A/C & 4 speed weigh pretty heavy on price.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
what do you call a power steering only model? T-Top? high performance L-48 corvette engine? Dual exhaust (except in the middle where the cat is)?
A 75 T-top, 350, (4spd or auto), power steering, etc.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If you have it listed everywhere....cars.com, autotrader, here, craigslist, ebay, you'll get a good idea of what people are willing to pay for it, or if there is any interest it it.

This time of year is not prime time to be selling.

Also, you just bough it recently.....what did you pay for it?

Maybe you got a bargain like you think you did, or maybe you paid market price, time will tell.

The market is funny, you may find someone who just has to have your car and will pay 10K for it....more than likely you'll get somewhere between the low you were quoted of 5k and your asking price of 10K.

Depends on how long you want to hang on to it.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

If it has the original motor , runs and drives good and not a pos ...then I don't see anything wrong with asking 10k.

You can always come down in price .
Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

A little detailing like replacing the missing console piece, removing the temp tag from the rear window for pics, cleaning and adding shine to tires ec. would be good.

Pics of a clean and detailed engine/engine bay and shots of a nice frame would also help. (I spent an afternoon detailing an engine on a camaro I was selling and the guy popped the hood and said I'll take it).

Detailing might not get you $10k, but it will give you your best shot to get as much as possible.

If you happen to have a nice set of chrome 17s laying around that would give that car some eyeball

As for value IMO Hagerty is pretty close to real world. You can also check completed auctions on Ebay ec.

Here are the Hagerty values for your year and model.
https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...port?vbe=54097
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...what do you call a power steering only model?...
Low option. FWIW: your car has an optional automatic transmission and stereo.

...T-Top?...
Standard coupe. All coupes got a pair of tops.

...high performance L-48 corvette engine...
The L-82 was the high performance engine. The L-48 was the base engine and came with every 75 unless an optional engine was ordered.

...Dual exhaust (except in the middle where the cat is)...
You have a front y pipe; a rear y pipe; and a cat con. This is not true dual exhaust.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-08-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 AM
derekderek
Race Director

I know all of these. I was poking fun at the 75 and some of the ads i have seen.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
A little detailing like replacing the missing console piece, removing the temp tag from the rear window for pics, cleaning and adding shine to tires ec. would be good.

Pics of a clean and detailed engine/engine bay and shots of a nice frame would also help. (I spent an afternoon detailing an engine on a camaro I was selling and the guy popped the hood and said I'll take it).

Detailing might not get you $10k, but it will give you your best shot to get as much as possible.

If you happen to have a nice set of chrome 17s laying around that would give that car some eyeball

As for value IMO Hagerty is pretty close to real world. You can also check completed auctions on Ebay ec.
Good advice!

I know all of these. I was poking fun at the 75 and some of the ads i have seen.
Here's my .02 worth....You seem to be sensitive about the value of your '75. Does it have a clean title, no salvage, etc.? I would not have posted to the world that I bought it at an auction. Looks like a decent car to me. I know this much, when I thought about trading my '71 LS5 Convertible for a car like yours in 1975, it was going to cost me dearly$$ to make the trade. Rubber bumpers were hot at that time in my area. On that note, I think '75's look better with the black rubber bumper protectors left unpainted on the front and rear...gives some contrast. Maybe the previous owner was going for a monochrome look.

Personally, I don't like the wheels....might be worth getting some originals. Take better detailed photos, especially the interior and engine compartment, and undercarriage. I also think you should reinstall the air pump, keep it original looking.

After owning mine for 40 years, I've been getting my '71 ready to sell and noticed that the for sale section on this forum is not getting much attention/activity, could be it's not the best time to sell. Maybe the spring time will bring out more interest in the C3 market. I know that potential buyers are going to complain that my car has original paint, but that was my choice to keep it like it was when I bought it in 1975.

Hang in there and be patient. Here's another GLWS!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Good advice!

Here's my .02 worth....You seem to be sensitive about the value of your '75. Does it have a clean title, no salvage, etc.? I would not have posted to the world that I bought it at an auction. Looks like a decent car to me. I know this much, when I thought about trading my '71 LS5 Convertible for a car like yours in 1975, it was going to cost me dearly$$ to make the trade. Rubber bumpers were hot at that time in my area. On that note, I think '75's look better with the black rubber bumper protectors left unpainted on the front and rear...gives some contrast. Maybe the previous owner was going for a monochrome look.

Personally, I don't like the wheels....might be worth getting some originals. Take better detailed photos, especially the interior and engine compartment, and undercarriage. I also think you should reinstall the air pump, keep it original looking.

After owning mine for 40 years, I've been getting my '71 ready to sell and noticed that the for sale section on this forum is not getting much attention/activity, could be it's not the best time to sell. Maybe the spring time will bring out more interest in the C3 market. I know that potential buyers are going to complain that my car has original paint, but that was my choice to keep it like it was when I bought it in 1975.

Hang in there and be patient. Here's another GLWS!

71 green 454 is right on with his advice.

Especially the part about the auction. You're basically saying I bought this car cheap at an auction, and now I want to flip it for a nice profit. Not too appealing to most potential buyers.

When I look for a car and I see it's only been owned for a short time I think of 2 things...either the guy bought it cheap and wants to make a fast buck, or he bought it and now regrets it because there is something wrong with it.

Neither scenario is good.

I still think it will sell between 5-10K, and closer to the 10 you're asking, but you have to be patient. This time of the year is not prime time to sell a corvette.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM
derekderek
Race Director

This is the only place it has been listed so far. I bought it because was so clean underneath and overall. Now i have a 77 waiting in the wings and have a shot at a light fire damaged 70.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I think it is worth $10k, especially considering what $10k would buy in any other 60's or 70's muscle car...not much. unfortunately, the market seems to be getting pretty flooded with baby boomers selling their 70's vettes. When old guys hear I like vettes and have 3, I get offers all the time to sell vettes similar to yours for
Old 09-09-2015, 09:14 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

$5K would put the car below class 4 condition according to the Hagerty web site. A class 3 averages around $11K. If the car is an 8 out of 10 in most if not all areas I'd guess the car is closer to class 3. $10K wouldn't be unreasonable.

Has anything comparable sold on eBay recently?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Get notified of new replies

To So, what IS a 75 base model actually worth?

Quick Reply: So, what IS a 75 base model actually worth?