Sponsored by:

1969 Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 AM
kodaclr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 Starter problem

Hi, I think I am having a starter problem, I have a 69 with a 350 and automatic. when I turn the key I get one click, then nothing, I had the battery checked and thats good. I do need to check all of the connections but they seem fine at first glance.

Is there any secrets to swapping out the starter or is it easy swap.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you need to verify all gnd connections on the car, particularly the gnd. cable going from frame to starter motor area. clean to metal surface.
check positive battery connection at both ends, fresh charged battery.
if it still just clicks, replace, or rebuild starter solenoid.
checking connection does not mean look at it.
it means Physically remove it, clean, inspect and reinstall/repair.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I swapped out the starter on my 1970 a few years ago. It was pretty easy to do.

Turns out the one that I replaced was a marine starter and not even rated/suggested (whatever the correct term is) for my car/engine.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kodaclr
Hi, I think I am having a starter problem, I have a 69 with a 350 and automatic. when I turn the key I get one click, then nothing, I had the battery checked and thats good. I do need to check all of the connections but they seem fine at first glance.

Is there any secrets to swapping out the starter or is it easy swap.

Thanks

Most "starter" problems are the result of a bad positive battery connection so clean both battery connections down to shiny lead and coat the surfaces with NoCo to prevent future oxidation.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM
kodaclr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, thanks everyone, the guy at corvette store said the same, so I am going to do that before buying new one.
Thanks again
Old 07-17-2015, 05:31 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Unless you're a NCRS person, I'd recommend a mini-starter. They are much smaller and being small and light, are easier to install. They're just as powerful as the original starter even though being smaller.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
you need to verify all gnd connections on the car, particularly the gnd. cable going from frame to starter motor area. clean to metal surface.

Physically remove it, clean, inspect and reinstall/repair.
Amen brother .......that's the deal .....looking at it doesn't mean squat .....it's like battery cables ...because the plastic covering is OK or the ends are clean doesn't mean the cables have internal corrosion between strands

You have to take the stuff apart ....scrape, brush, file, pick, sand paper , clean ......everything .......a lot of times it's not A Problem .....but twenty small electric issues that add up to poor starting, weak batteries etc..

Your right .....to many people blame the major parts when the connections are all that is bad to begin with.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:48 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Amen brother .......that's the deal .....looking at it doesn't mean squat .....it's like battery cables ...because the plastic covering is OK or the ends are clean doesn't mean the cables have internal corrosion between strands

You have to take the stuff apart ....scrape, brush, file, pick, sand paper , clean ......everything .......a lot of times it's not A Problem .....but twenty small electric issues that add up to poor starting, weak batteries etc..

Your right .....to many people blame the major parts when the connections are all that is bad to begin with.

Delco Remy claims 95% of all electrical problems are a result of a bad connection and in the 50+ years that I have been twisting wrenches (20 of them professionally) I have found that to be absolutely true.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Starter problem

Quick Reply: 1969 Starter problem