Sponsored by:

stuck engine on my 1982 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:48 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmwhta
Well opened up the head on the other side and this is worse. I cannot believe when I saw it.
This 8 oz cup is the sludge/rust that came out
This will definitely required to be pulled out, as this side has pitting too
Sorry about the bad news...

I'm afraid as bad as that is I'd be inclined to just go buy a new crate motor and cut my losses... I'm not sure they can bore that cylinder enough to clean it up and sleeving it will be expensive enough to not be worth it. Since this isn't for a collectible car that numbers matching really matters it would be a lot easier to go the crate route.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:59 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Whelp no surprises really, That engine needs to come out , as suspected from page one . Professional rebuild by a highly recommended shop , no telling what damage is still there .....but.....personally I'd take the safe way out.

A GM assembled NEW crate motor would be a lot less risk of future failure ....IMHO .

Sorry it turned out like that.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 07-03-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 PM
georgiaboy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a 350HO 330 HP new GM crate engine in my 78 about 10 years ago. Easy change out and sure gave me peace of mind. Google the 350HO.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:23 PM
delfert76
Advanced

I would at least try to hone it and drop the oil pan and clean it up, clean the valves and put it back together and see what happens. Mine was stuck pretty good but it starts right up now....although it has not seen the street yet so I don't know how long it will last...but I've seen worse.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 PM
lowes-yellow77
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Agreed

Im going to have to agree with the majority. If it was only the single cylinder then I would clean it up and try worst you would be out is 40 bucks for a gasket set. But pull it and see what a shop tells you a overhaul on that wouldnt be as much in the end. there is alot of parts they can clean up and you can sell.
Sorry to hear about this though its shame if the PO knew about this.
All I can say is if you build one vs a crate make sure you do it not only right but how you want it to be IE: sound, power or roller cam mod etc.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM
mmwhta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delfert

I would at least try to hone it and drop the oil pan and clean it up, clean the valves and put it back together and see what happens. Mine was stuck pretty good but it starts right up now....although it has not seen the street yet so I don't know how long it will last...but I've seen worse.
Thanks for your encouragement
I was so tired that I left it and spent the day at the beach today
Old 07-04-2015, 10:35 AM
mmwhta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowes-yellow77
Im going to have to agree with the majority. If it was only the single cylinder then I would clean it up and try worst you would be out is 40 bucks for a gasket set. But pull it and see what a shop tells you a overhaul on that wouldnt be as much in the end. there is alot of parts they can clean up and you can sell.
Sorry to hear about this though its shame if the PO knew about this.
All I can say is if you build one vs a crate make sure you do it not only right but how you want it to be IE: sound, power or roller cam mod etc.
Ironically as per PO he got it rebuilt at 36k miles for performance as he wanted to keep it
Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 AM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think a discussion with the PO might be in order, what a mess!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 PM
lowes-yellow77
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A mans word

Originally Posted by tonak
I would think a discussion with the PO might be in order, what a mess!
If the PO did know all I can say Is Wow! I was taught a long time ago your only about as good as your word but it seems as the world progresses its more and more about people trying to get ahead instead of trying to be respected.
Now don't get me wrong if I can make a buck I will, but not on someones else's back.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM
mmwhta
Intermediate

Did you change the Pistons or you were able to restore them by cleaning
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM
delfert76
Advanced

Did you change the Pistons or you were able to restore them by cleaning
no, I did not change them or even remove them to clean it, I used a wire brush and a wire wheel on a drill and cleaned them up. I would bring the piston to the top and clean it and bring it to the bottom and hone the cylinder. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned as much as I could as there was all kinds of things growing in there. I did replace the oil pump and pickup screen, starter, water pump, intake, carb, distributor, cap and plugs and wires, and fuel pump. It now starts right up, good compression on all cylinders, good oil pressure, strong exhaust, no smoke and really good throttle response. I also removed the valves 1 at a time and cleaned everything and used some valve grind compound stuff with a hand grinder thingy to clean the valves ( thats how I spent my Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago). I dont think you will have to buy too many parts -gasket set ( I did not use the oil pan gasket in the set but bought the 1 piece -so much better) and make sure every thing is clean. Also check your intake and carb and clean them really good. Are you able to turn the engine over yet? I kept putting marvel mystery oil and would bump the starter and after a few days it started slowly moving and then it finally started spinning good.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:05 PM
mmwhta
Intermediate

no, I did not change them or even remove them to clean it, I used a wire brush and a wire wheel on a drill and cleaned them up. I would bring the piston to the top and clean it and bring it to the bottom and hone the cylinder. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned as much as I could as there was all kinds of things growing in there. I did replace the oil pump and pickup screen, starter, water pump, intake, carb, distributor, cap and plugs and wires, and fuel pump. It now starts right up, good compression on all cylinders, good oil pressure, strong exhaust, no smoke and really good throttle response. I also removed the valves 1 at a time and cleaned everything and used some valve grind compound stuff with a hand grinder thingy to clean the valves ( thats how I spent my Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago). I dont think you will have to buy too many parts -gasket set ( I did not use the oil pan gasket in the set but bought the 1 piece -so much better) and make sure every thing is clean. Also check your intake and carb and clean them really good. Are you able to turn the engine over yet? I kept putting marvel mystery oil and would bump the starter and after a few days it started slowly moving and then it finally started spinning good.
No I have not been able to rotate yet
I dropped the oil pan today and can see the rust from bottom at number 6
All others look pretty clean from the bottom
I tried hammering it up with a wooden bar but it does not want to move
I have sprayed WD40 and PB blaster from the bottom will try again tomorrow
Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The first picture is the passenger side. The second picture is driver side. I would like to see a picture of the passenger side after you cleaned it.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 PM
delfert76
Advanced

Originally Posted by havesometo
The first picture is the passenger side. The second picture is driver side. I would like to see a picture of the passenger side after you cleaned it.
both sides looked the same but I will see if I have a pic of the other side.....somewhere on my computer
Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 PM
delfert76
Advanced

Originally Posted by havesometo

The top two pics are the passenger side...the third is drivers side before cleaning it and the last is the with the oil pan removed
Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 PM
delfert76
Advanced

No I have not been able to rotate yet
I dropped the oil pan today and can see the rust from bottom at number 6
All others look pretty clean from the bottom
I tried hammering it up with a wooden bar but it does not want to move
I have sprayed WD40 and PB blaster from the bottom will try again tomorrow
Keep at it and keep bumping it with the starter. It will come loose. Also, your engine does not look original as it should be a crossfire setup and the alternator is on the wrong side. You can check the numbers on the block to find out what it is- it could be the original block with different components
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM
mmwhta
Intermediate

Keep at it and keep bumping it with the starter. It will come loose. Also, your engine does not look original as it should be a crossfire setup and the alternator is on the wrong side. You can check the numbers on the block to find out what it is- it could be the original block with different components
will check the numbers. He changed the crossfire to performance carburetor though

Get notified of new replies

To stuck engine on my 1982 corvette

Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

will check the numbers. He changed the crossfire to performance carburetor though
If you don't have the original crossfire setup then it is never really going to be a "matching" car, so if you end up having to swap the engine out it is less of an issue.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

That's a damn shame. It does look like a fresh rebuild...damn shame.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes it's definitely not a 82 motor. It has the wrong exhaust manifolds and the block looks to be the old orange color which could be painted over but looks to have been there awhile.

Quick Reply: stuck engine on my 1982 corvette