when fuel goes bad....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default when fuel goes bad....

went to start my 72 on sunday. chugged, fired a bit and then sputtered and died. Tried three times and then went and shined a flash light in the fuel tank. The car has only been sitting 2-2.5 months and I did add fuel stabilizer but the fuel looked nasty. So I began to siphon the liquid gold out. Once in the buckets it was nasty and cloudy. I got it all out and again looked in the tank and it looks really nice and clean with no rust. Poured in about 1/8th of new fuel and tried to start the old girl again and it just chugs and sputters. I am thinking I need to pull the flexible hoses on the fuel line and blow it all out. I did pour some good fuel in the carb and it fired for a bit. Would this thinking be a good idea? I can't believe that the fuel went bad that quickly.

thanks ,

Sully
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You didn't say how old the fuel is but if it's 2-3. months, I doubt it would go bad that quickly, especially with stabilizer added to it.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully1882
went to start my 72 on sunday. chugged, fired a bit and then sputtered and died. Tried three times and then went and shined a flash light in the fuel tank. The car has only been sitting 2-2.5 months and I did add fuel stabilizer but the fuel looked nasty. So I began to siphon the liquid gold out. Once in the buckets it was nasty and cloudy. I got it all out and again looked in the tank and it looks really nice and clean with no rust. Poured in about 1/8th of new fuel and tried to start the old girl again and it just chugs and sputters. I am thinking I need to pull the flexible hoses on the fuel line and blow it all out. I did pour some good fuel in the carb and it fired for a bit. Would this thinking be a good idea? I can't believe that the fuel went bad that quickly.

thanks ,

Sully
I'm surprised it went bad as well. maybe the fuel was contaminated when you put it in the car? Is it possible somebody put something in the tank? Was the car stored outside? Any water in the fuel? Ive never seen gas go cloudy. Double check that what you put in the tank was stabilizer? My dad had brakefluid in a stabil container one time, he put in the boat gas by mistake, that didn't fair well for the motor.

Did the gas in the bucket ever separate out? Did the "cloud" fall to the bottom or rise to the top or remain suspended? Did it remain suspended and cloudy?

Pull the line as close to the pump as you can and as close to the tank as you can, blow some air back through it, catch the crap the flows out. Try and blow air into the tank through the line.

Remove the line from the pump (assuming a mechanical pump) that goes to the carb, clear it with air as well. Change any fuel filters, connect it all back up and see what happens.

report back.

dodosmike
Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My car sat for over a year during my motor swap, and other projects. I did add Stabil.

Added 2 gallons of fresh gas, and mine fired up just fine. I have since burned all of that old gas out of mine.

I don't think the fuel is your problem.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully1882

thanks ,

Sully
Unless something was added to the gas it won't go bad. I have had cars stored for years & the gas was OK. Gas sets in storage tanks for a long time before it gets to the pump. I bet you got some gas that had water at the station you bought it at.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
Unless something was added to the gas it won't go bad. I have had cars stored for years & the gas was OK. Gas sets in storage tanks for a long time before it gets to the pump. I bet you got some gas that had water at the station you bought it at.
Or the ethanol-laced fuel absorbed moisture from the air...which it most surely does. It can cause a problem if left sitting in just a few months. It will cause a problem after years. I have heard of leaded 108 octane race fuel firing a high compression engine after sitting in the tank for 8 years...with no stabilizer added. Of course, the car sat in a humidity-controlled environment.

Just last month I pulled the carb off my pressure washer. The E10 left inside the float bowl had powderized the pot metal and some of that crap was stuck in the needle and seat. I have seen Q-jets turned to powder. Pure gasoline does not do that.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the tank has a locking cap on it. Fuel tank was filled up to the top, as I always try to do to cut down on condensation. I added the stabil myself straight from the stabil plastic bottle. When I looked into the tank initially it looked like there was some cloudy stuff along the bottom of the tank, hence why I went ahead and drained it out. Once drained into the container on the ground it was nasty and cloudy. However I did not give it time to settle.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like clogged lines more than anything. 2-3 months is unusually fast for gas (especially with stabil) to go bad.

Get notified of new replies

To when fuel goes bad....

Quick Reply: when fuel goes bad....