Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cowl induction, how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cowl induction, how does it work?

So, as 99% of you already know 1975 was the last year for rear cowl induction. That's my car. From looking at the "aim" it looks to me that there is a small loovered door inside the hood. I also saw on the drivers side of the hood a wire that runs up the side and then goes under the insulated hood blanket in what I believe is in that same area.
So, how and what actuates this door to open and does it only open when secondary's are open?
Definitely not a wrench guy but trying to learn more.
Thanks guys
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Look here on the 73 Spot: http://www.73spot.com/index_stats_files/cowlintake.htm
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Outstanding!!! Exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I can always count on forum members for good help and advice. Makes the learning process easier and helps me to understand my car better. Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by dtianen
Outstanding!!! Exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I can always count on forum members for good help and advice. Makes the learning process easier and helps me to understand my car better. Thanks
I never could quite understand that cowl induction, seems to me to be more of a gimmick. Mopar had a similar device. A cold air intake makes more sense to me with a forward facing functional hood scoop. At least the Pontiac and Buick ram air option made some sense. However, I do understand wanting to restore all the original equipment back to operating condition, practicality aside.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:16 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

The 82's have a similar setup only the cold air comes in from the front of the hood as opposed to the rear of the hood on your 75. I eliminated my set-up and have cold air all of the time, not just with WOT acceleration. More responsive, a little louder... but you may also pick up more items in the process, especially for me with the front hood air feed. I still need to screen the inlet opening, and will do the same to my 74 if I go that route.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
I never could quite understand that cowl induction, seems to me to be more of a gimmick. Mopar had a similar device. A cold air intake makes more sense to me with a forward facing functional hood scoop. At least the Pontiac and Buick ram air option made some sense. However, I do understand wanting to restore all the original equipment back to operating condition, practicality aside.
You have a high pressure area at the base of the windshield, great for supplying air to the engine. NASCAR uses basically the same system on the Cup cars.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Nice web site, thanks for posting the link. Added to favorites. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Rear cowl induction, how does it work?

Quick Reply: Rear cowl induction, how does it work?