Sponsored by:

78 air vent control question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:18 PM
oldC3guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 air vent control question

I have a '78 without A/C. There are round ***** on each kick panel but I don't know what they do. I have tried pushing, pulling, swearing but nothing is moving. The owners manual says something about "turn lever to open the vent doors" and I turn the lever but don't see the flap moving. I don't know what the relationship between the round ***** and the flapper lever if any. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by oldC3guy
I have a '78 without A/C. There are round ***** on each kick panel but I don't know what they do. I have tried pushing, pulling, swearing but nothing is moving. The owners manual says something about "turn lever to open the vent doors" and I turn the lever but don't see the flap moving. I don't know what the relationship between the round ***** and the flapper lever if any. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.
I have a 78 with A/C and when replacing the heater core, took some time to explore, study and test the actuator and doors they activated. So your configuration would not have those actuators that required vacuum to activate. But you would have the vent doors and I suspect those ***** open the vent doors to allow fresh air to enter the cabin. Those doors have rubber around them and it may have gotten stuck from lack of use.

My suggestion, either use your AIM and look at how it is configured or go through the passenger side and remove the kick panel to determine the hangup. It could be the linkage is hungup as well like the manual elements of a door lock system. At that point, it is only some WD 40 to get it operational.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
oldC3guy
Instructor

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. After submitting the post yesterday I was able to dig deeper in the AIM and it appears that the round ***** should pull out (or inboard) and open the flapper. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the sticking problem? Should it be very hard on an old car or should I try to unstick it otherwise? I just hate to try to force it because I have damaged things in the past when using the "bigger hammer" solution. Any non-A/C guys have a suggestion?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

OOPS what I wrote was not useful.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-26-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I have a 78 non ac car. You slide the **** about an inch toward the floor to close the flapper, slide it back an inch toward you to open.

open

close

There is just a rod that attaches to the flapper and runs back to the ****.

Last edited by BKarol; 05-27-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Cool photos...but watch that cramped passenger footwell!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM
oldC3guy
Instructor

Right you are. Cramped footwell doesn't quite capture how cramped it really is. It would almost be easier to take the seat out than try to turn into a pretzel and do anything there. But we love it, right?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM
oldC3guy
Instructor

Karol,
BINGO! That was the ticket! Got it to move but need a few pounds of lube in there and all will be well. Thank you very much! Love the Forum and all the knowledge you all have.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 air vent control question

Quick Reply: 78 air vent control question