C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used a lemans gas cap from cobranda.com?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:57 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I didnt say you stopped making them the op did...I had no clue either way.
Bats sorry...wasnt implying you did..was just pointing out that I have made those gas caps in one form or another for people on this forum for the last 10+ years...so if people want one ..and can be patient...drop me a PM.
Nick
Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
Bats sorry...wasnt implying you did..was just pointing out that I have made those gas caps in one form or another for people on this forum for the last 10+ years...so if people want one ..and can be patient...drop me a PM.
Nick
It's all good, I dig my cap and more so that you made it and it had a connection to your insanely cool car...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default I have these LeMans caps on some of our cars!

First the Baldwin Motion one was sold with a welded on plate to take up the fiberglass space (hollowed out area), but that plate wasn't to the exact shape, so some guys did some glass work and some would just glass up the entire hollow.

I am not a fan of the guys just using one as a glorified gas cap! Plus you drop it, and the thread ring area will crack pretty easily.

For these, you can take the longer Coupe filler tube (tank to deck lid unit and modify it and mate (tig weld) the flip to the tank proper.

Also Moon Eyes still sales a pretty Vintage Flip top unit. And should always have them in stock. My opinion is you just need to rough up all of the shiny ones a bit, before putting one on. I am just not a real fan of shiny!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
First the Baldwin Motion one was sold with a welded on plate to take up the fiberglass space (hollowed out area), but that plate wasn't to the exact shape, so some guys did some glass work and some would just glass up the entire hollow.

I am not a fan of the guys just using one as a glorified gas cap! Plus you drop it, and the thread ring area will crack pretty easily.

For these, you can take the longer Coupe filler tube (tank to deck lid unit and modify it and mate (tig weld) the flip to the tank proper.

Also Moon Eyes still sales a pretty Vintage Flip top unit. And should always have them in stock. My opinion is you just need to rough up all of the shiny ones a bit, before putting one on. I am just not a real fan of shiny!
That was how my Motion cap was, Mr Motion after seeing pictures said it was one of his, that was enough for the bidding on ebay to get really stupid on it.
I like my lvrpool32 one better, but this time I am mounting it "poser" style as a replacement for the stock lid, open the whole thing stock cap under it.
Not shiny ? after I spent an hour cleaning it up now you tell me...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedway Motor sells them. I found one on EBay. Made a new fuel door from carbon fiber panel, cut a hole in the door and mounted the base of the cap underneath with SS screws. Mounted the new door to the original hinge. Cap is a dummy, no one can tell, but was much easier than butchering the body and is easily returned to stock by replacing the original fuel door.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Elvis454
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a LeMans roller latch flip up gas cap/cover

Hello,

I'm brand new to Corvette Forum as of an hour ago and was looking at this thread as I am searching for a LeMans style roller latch flip up gas cap. I'm not looking for it to be functional (Don't care if anyone says I'm looking for a glorified gas door). I an looking to add the look to my '73 BB, which I have owned and worked on since 1992. For me this is a gas cap door/look and I was looking at the one from Mustalgia, but guess that isn't going to happen??!!

lvrpool32 I saw that you use to make these and said in the thread that you may consider making 1 or 2 if you had interest. Well I'm interested. I don't care about filling in or covering up the finger slot either. What I like about the Mustalgia one was the easy 4 screw install without need for modification to the tank or the fiberglass and I'm fine with reaching in to unscrew my cap on the tank.

So if you are willing to make 1 for me let me know what the price would be, otherwise I'll probably be buying one from Hans Hot Rods off of eBay and then fabricating an additional flange to the bottom of it with tabs so that I can use the original 4 mounting holes/screws around the perimeter. I've looked at their option that mounts to and reuses the gas door hinge, but looked flimsy to me and am thinking if I hit a bump with all of the additional weight that the whole thing might snap off.

Anyway lvrpool32 let me know, cause if not you then I'm going the buy and fabricate route myself I guess :-)!

Cheers and thanks for any replies to this!

Alan
Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Another option, from the UK, about $100 here.

Not as big as the others tho.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:50 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis454
Anyway lvrpool32 let me know, cause if not you then I'm going the buy and fabricate route myself I guess :-)
send me a PM....we can discuss.
thanks
Nick
Old 12-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Elvis454
5th Gear

Default Nice but not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks Mod75. It does look nice but it's just not quite what I'm looking for LVRPOOL32 (Nick) did reply as well so I'm going to PM him and see if I can work something out with him.

My wife is always telling me that I'm to picky and I always seem to be looking for specialty parts that aren't available or easy to get. LOL!!!

and thanks for the link!
Alan
Old 12-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Elvis454
5th Gear

Default Any issue with the new fuel door flapping?

[QUOTE=texasbaehr;1589711187]Speedway Motor sells them. I found one on EBay. Made a new fuel door from carbon fiber panel, cut a hole in the door and mounted the base of the cap underneath with SS screws. Mounted the new door to the original hinge. Cap is a dummy, no one can tell, but was much easier than butchering the body and is easily returned to stock by replacing the original fuel door.

Hi Texasbaehr,

Any problem with the weight of the flip top cap making your fuel door flap up & down if/when you hit a bump, or did you also secure the new fuel door so that it can't lift up? If so how did you do that?

Nice looking cap and ride also BTW!
Alan
Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine is a complete bolt in and looks great…..trying to remember where I got it. Was like 300 bucks.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Jamess411
Racer

The screws are inside the flap…smooth polished finish on the outside only
Old 12-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Mustalgia was the company I bought it from but it says they are out of stock now..not sure if they stopped making them or not.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Elvis454
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jamess411
Mustalgia was the company I bought it from but it says they are out of stock now..not sure if they stopped making them or not.

Thanks! And that is the one that started me on the trail of looking for one of these for my '73 BB, unfortunately I think Mustalgia is caput! I sent a message to them and got a reply from Jarod Carson, but it had an "auto Reply" message attached to it dated 10/10/2014 saying "
Thankyou so much for your interest in our product. This is an automatic replyconcerning the LeMans roller latch fuel caps.

Iam currently out of stock but certainly will have more available soon.

Ihave recently had to change sources for the foundry for casting the fuel capparts and am currently waiting on samples to test. I will thenprocess a run of castings for production and again be supplying products.

Thankyou for your patience! I will email you when I have them ready to go.

JaredCarson
R&R Specialties, Inc.
Mustalgia.com
"

I don't think I'll be in luck to get one from them. Unfortunate for me!

cheers,
Alan
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbaehr
Speedway Motor sells them. I found one on EBay. Made a new fuel door from carbon fiber panel, cut a hole in the door and mounted the base of the cap underneath with SS screws. Mounted the new door to the original hinge. Cap is a dummy, no one can tell, but was much easier than butchering the body and is easily returned to stock by replacing the original fuel door.
Cool idea.

Are you using the original gas cap on the tank? Pic?

Mooneyes Flip top Cap.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamess411

Mustalgia has them in stock again!

But as I understand the original Baldwin Motion Le Mans Fuel Filler caps have been functional directly into the gas tank?? The Mustalgia ones are dummies, where the original Fuel cap stays in place.

Quick Reply: Anyone used a lemans gas cap from cobranda.com?