Sponsored by:

Some people need to be beat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mds3013
I still have access to Ellen DeGeneres's '67 Camaro and it is in better shape. mike...
Bet it still goes lickety-split....
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
You couldn't pay me enough to monkey around that thing , the giant snakes , gators , pre historic size poison ivy ......screw that, they made like 500,000 of those cars ......buy one ready to go.

That POS can just sit there and dissolve back into the earth......

Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Would it be OK if I brought the rocks and chains for you to use?????
As long as the chain is all rusty with tetanus all over it and the rocks are sharp with other good bacteria in the cracks and crevices.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
There used to be a 1955 Chevy 2 door hardtop sitting in the country beside a garage uncovered with writing painted on the windshield saying "NOT FOR SALE " It sat there for at least 30 years and rotted into the ground. Then one day I went out past there and it was gone. Probably went for scrap.
Here's what probably happened.

The hermit owner died one day of old age. His will stated the "fine classic" go to his very close friend. When he went to pick it up,
THEN, it went for scrap!

Steve
Old 05-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Paparay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's where I left it!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Here's what probably happened.

The hermit owner died one day of old age. His will stated the "fine classic" go to his very close friend. When he went to pick it up,
THEN, it went for scrap!

Steve
Yup!!

I know it's a little "off track", but since this discussion already is.....

I moved into my house 25 years ago. There was a large tract of land due north of the parcel that my street was built on. One of the "old timers" who lived near me, told me that the owner of the large tract used to answer the door with a shotgun in hand, because he was sick of people knocking on his door, wanting to but the land (about a 20-25 acre parcel).

One day I'm reading the obituaries in the newspaper, and I see the name of the owner of the land. He had passed away. About 6 months later, there's a sign in front of the parcel of land, stating "Exclusive Homesites, now taking deposits"......
Old 05-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

That will buff out.....

someone was going there soon.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by havesometo
I can fix that.My dad is a TV repairman and he has an awesome set of tools.
Spicoli, you can't fix this car!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:46 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Its a shame to see how many cars are wasting away with the owner thinking that one day they will restore them. Only to find they are so wasted away that no one can restore them.

kdf
Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I moved into our current neighborhood 16 years ago. A guy told me that there was a one owner 1970 Corvette in a garage nearby, just a couple of streets over.

Well...when I got there, it was actually a 1970 Datsun 240Z. However, it was a one owner, 50K actual mile, A/C, 4spd car. The owner, who was an older gentleman, was proud to show me his car. It wasn't perfect..but very nice and 100% original. I offered him $5,000.00 to buy the car. He told me NO. He said he was going to "get it back on the road".

Fast forward a couple years and I drive by one day and the car has been moved outside, under a carport, covered with a tarp. I stop and the same original owenr tells me he needed the garage space temprarily, so the car was temporarily moved outside.

Fastforward 2 more years.....I drive by and the car is still outside. I stop and chat and notice that the car is starting to deteriorate. PAint is starting to flake and the tires are all flat. I make a new $3,500.00 offer. He said NO...he was going to restore it.

About 5 years go by and the car gets moved out from under the carport to the driveway...but did get a new tarp.

Another couple of years go by and the tarp has rotted off and the car is just exposed to the weather. I stop again and the car has really gone down hill now. Rust bubbles here and there and the paint and trim now look horrible. Still wouldnt sell it..."was going to restore it some day".

I ended up buying it in 2012 for $900.00. I spent a LONG HARD year restoring it. Spent almost $10K on it. Took it by and took the original owner for a drive. He passed away January of this year.

Last edited by Vet76te; 05-24-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:53 AM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
If I had a nickel for every guy that I heard saying " I am going to fix it up " and the car rots into the ground for 30 years. There used to be a 1955 Chevy 2 door hardtop sitting in the country beside a garage uncovered with writing painted on the windshield saying "NOT FOR SALE " It sat there for at least 30 years and rotted into the ground. Then one day I went out past there and it was gone. Probably went for scrap.

My apologies for the use of the "F" word.

There was a 1950 single spinner Ford (next to my work),
sat for over 20 years at the side of a Mechanics workshop.
I offered him 5 grand (it was not worth that much)....
"No way, I'm gonna restore it".
He died a few years later and car was sent to scrap by his widow

Another one,
A workmates wife is in possession of a
Ford XA Falcon GT Phase 4 Coupe
(and this one was customized for a Ford dealer) so it's truly a one off
(It looks like Mad Max's Car).
I saw this very car mentioned in a documentary
(made by Ford themselves) and they didn't know the whereabouts of it.
Sadly, this car was left in a driveway covered with a crappy tarp and over the years parts had been stolen....
the Shaker air filter, badges and even the rear spoiler.
I did make numerous offers but she always refused to sell it.
Still makes me wanna cry :'(
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Some people need to be beat.