Sponsored by:

Roller paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I'll believe it when I see the video of you rolling it on the car.

LMAO... sounds good. I'll make sure to do video on the next coat in the next few days. I was gonna do a timelapse but was too impatient and just wanted to get to rollin.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcjoshin
And that response is what makes it oh so worth it!

My neighbor says the same thing. Looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I was gonna paint it myself with a roller and then said "ahhh, I see you decided the roller was dumb and you're doing a real paintjob huh?" when he saw the first coat... Nope, that IS from a roller. Can't wait until the final coat is all sanded and polished out!

I promise you, this is with a foam roller and $100 worth of paint. Look it up... there's plenty of guys getting show quality results with rollers. Mine won't be show quality, but it will definitely be good enough and leaves me with a few more thousand to spend on other stuff!

Just to "prove it" to ya, here's my tools and here's one T-top that just got it's very first coat with roller marks and all.

Yeah I used interlux brightside paint on one of my cars years ago. It's self leveling and has a high sheen. After multiple coats I would wet sand, mask then start rolling out more coats. It took awhile but it turned out perfect.

If I was going to apply with a roller, that's the paint I would use. They only offer basic colors but it's good stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Jhiltonn (03-24-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Are you going to sand after a few coats?

When people find out that I rolled my paint on, I usually get a look that they think i'm lying....I guess that's a good sign.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I tried this a couple of times, but the sanding killed me. Liked the paint though, and I've since painted several vehicles using white knight rust guard (our Aussie equivalent) thinned and sprayed with a cheap gun. I painted my daily driver '79 F250 (covers 30,000+km/18,000+miles each year) with satin black Rust Guard over 5 years ago, and it still looks pretty nice on the rare occasions that I wash it. The best thing, particularly for a working truck, is that I can buy cheap and perfectly matched touchup paint in a spray can at any hardware store!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Lowbuck roller painted his '72 a while ago. It's aging pretty well. It's way too much work for me but for some reason I get a kick out of seeing others take on this task.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been painting signs for over 25 years. Always rolled out the backgrounds with foam rollers. My customers always thought we sprayed them. So it can be done if the paint is applied well. Use proper paint that flows out and quality rollers preferably with a spiral seam.

Last edited by Tooonz; 02-29-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:45 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Welcome to the club, nice job, the car looks great. Even after 10 years, people still don't believe I painted my Corvette using a roller.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by smon
Looks good! Are you going to sand after a few coats?

When people find out that I rolled my paint on, I usually get a look that they think i'm lying....I guess that's a good sign.
Yeah I'm doing a light wet sanding between coats now. I'm thinking another 2 coats and she'll be good to go! My favorite thing avout these paint jobs are how crazy people look at you when you tell them you painted it with a roller and how they think you're lying when they actually see it!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Welcome to the club, nice job, the car looks great. Even after 10 years, people still don't believe I painted my Corvette using a roller.
Yeah I cant wait to watch a few people eat their words who balked at me when I told them what I'm doing. Worth it just for that.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcread
Lowbuck roller painted his '72 a while ago. It's aging pretty well. It's way too much work for me but for some reason I get a kick out of seeing others take on this task.
For whatever reason, I dont feel like its that much work; maybe just because I enjoy it. Normally I default to "time is money" and I'm perfectly happy to pay to not have to take on big projects, but for some reason I actually enjoy this and theres not too many opportunities to save thousands of dollars doing something that doesnt take a ton of skill to do. I figure I have more spending money now for my interior and I get the satisfaction of seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them I spent $100 and used a roller!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

you've obviously not been on any of the roller-paint job forums, or read a hot rod magazine in a while. roller paint jobs are pretty common and easy to do. do a search once...
Old 03-01-2016, 01:51 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

This does look like a option but can you go back later to a normal paint job? This also might be a option for panels with oil contaminated panels?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

nice! And they make 7 different shades of blue!!

Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Thanks for this thread! I think you guys changed the direction I was going to go with paint

I am impressed with not only your results, but your *ahem* guts to go off the beaten path and do something different.

Quick Reply: Roller paint job