Sponsored by:

Roller paint job

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
ANOTHER member of the broken nose club! I`m glad I`m not the only one who sees the potential beauty of a mistreated toy!
Yours looked a LOT like mine did.... (except mine didn`t have an interior either!)

Mine wasn't exactly cherry either...
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Mine wasn't exactly cherry either...
Oh the horror....
the wonderful, beautiful horror!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of hound? Looks a little like a weimaraner.
Yep she's a Weim. She has to slouch to keep her head low enough to see out the windshield. I get some funny looks when people pull up and see a dog instead of a person.

For those going to attempt this - don't skimp on the rollers (spend that extra $5, ha!). And always clean them beforehand to avoid any foam specks. I found it helpful to have use 4" roller loaded with paint to apply, and then a 2" roller going back over using only the weight of the roller to smooth and even out the paint. I got to where I was using a roller in each hand.

You can also use a cheap harbor freight hobby sprayer for the hood channels, door jambs, and other small places instead of a brush. I had a hard time finding the right ratio to use a brush and have it stick on vertical surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
persuader (03-01-2016)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Originally Posted by smon
Yep she's a Weim. She has to slouch to keep her head low enough to see out the windshield. I get some funny looks when people pull up and see a dog instead of a person.

For those going to attempt this - don't skimp on the rollers (spend that extra $5, ha!). And always clean them beforehand to avoid any foam specks. I found it helpful to have use 4" roller loaded with paint to apply, and then a 2" roller going back over using only the weight of the roller to smooth and even out the paint. I got to where I was using a roller in each hand.

You can also use a cheap harbor freight hobby sprayer for the hood channels, door jambs, and other small places instead of a brush. I had a hard time finding the right ratio to use a brush and have it stick on vertical surfaces.
This was my roller job I finished about six months ago
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! What did you use for the paint?

I tried to do a custom color and used my stock hood as the test, but it turned out pretty lousy. Not sure what went wrong with it, may have been the generic white base I used.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Originally Posted by smon
Very nice! What did you use for the paint?

I tried to do a custom color and used my stock hood as the test, but it turned out pretty lousy. Not sure what went wrong with it, may have been the generic white base I used.
For the roof, just rustoleum oil base white, for the body 3 parts white to one part rustoleum oil base brown. Used 5 quarts and I still have almost a quart of touchup left over. Total cost, approx $ 150, but that included $60 worth of compounds for which I used less than half.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Is it harder to remove cheap paint vs quality paint?
Much easier to remove cheap paint. Its no where near as durable and even rubbing alcohol will often take it off.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Okay so this roller rustoleum seems rather popular, I have a few questions,
Why roll / brush it on why not use a spray gun?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Okay so this roller rustoleum seems rather popular, I have a few questions,
Why roll / brush it on why not use a spray gun?
Several reasons:
1. cost. Rustoleum costs about $9 a quart. 3-4 quarts will paint a car. Even single stage acrylic will cost you $150-200. Base and clear coat urathanes costs more like $300+.
2. Equipment. Even though HVLP guns can be purchased pretty reasonably, you must have some kind of spray booth to do decent job which most of us don't. I've shot a paint job in my garage, and even after covering, masking, etc, there was still overspray mist everywhere. I swore I'd never do that again. Did a partial spray job on my driveway, and still had to deal with specks and dust and overspray.
3. Talent. To roll a car you don't need talent, just a lot of sweat and elbow grease. It's a labor of love with the emphasis on labor.
4. Time. When you spray a car, you're on a time schedule, a lot of planning and timing is involved. When you roll a car, there's no rush, you can do a couple hours work a day, take a month if necessary.
5. Mess. There's no overspray, minimal masking, no smell, The only mess involved comes when wet sanding and compounding, which cleans up pretty easily.
6. Touchups. Touchups are painless. You don't have to be afraid of scratches and scrapes. Touchup paint is part of the package; it's easy to blend. Color matching parts, like brackets, rims, is also easy.
7. Durability. Although Rustoleum is a little soft for 6+ mounts, the paint is thick enough that it can be color sanded or clay barred many times over. My 10 year old paint job still shines, while many 10 year old cars have clearcoats that are already worn through.
8. Last but not least, pride. People will be amazed at the results and you'll have the pride to say you did it yourself.

Obviously, a $30k+ car deserves a paint job to match. My C3 is a driver, not a showcar (although it did take 1st place in a show and shine), I don't have a fortune in it, and I am not a rich man. In my case it made sense.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I work for an industrial supply company, so I just emailed my Rust-Oleum rep about this. Turns out he painted his motorcycle with their urethane paint. I'm trying to find out if I can possibly color match to my existing fire engine red paint. I need a temporary paint job that will last until I can begin a frame off resto at which time I'll repaint.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Several reasons:
1. cost. Rustoleum costs about $9 a quart. 3-4 quarts will paint a car. Even single stage acrylic will cost you $150-200. Base and clear coat urathanes costs more like $300+.
2. Equipment. Even though HVLP guns can be purchased pretty reasonably, you must have some kind of spray booth to do decent job which most of us don't. I've shot a paint job in my garage, and even after covering, masking, etc, there was still overspray mist everywhere. I swore I'd never do that again. Did a partial spray job on my driveway, and still had to deal with specks and dust and overspray.
3. Talent. To roll a car you don't need talent, just a lot of sweat and elbow grease. It's a labor of love with the emphasis on labor.
4. Time. When you spray a car, you're on a time schedule, a lot of planning and timing is involved. When you roll a car, there's no rush, you can do a couple hours work a day, take a month if necessary.
5. Mess. There's no overspray, minimal masking, no smell, The only mess involved comes when wet sanding and compounding, which cleans up pretty easily.
6. Touchups. Touchups are painless. You don't have to be afraid of scratches and scrapes. Touchup paint is part of the package; it's easy to blend. Color matching parts, like brackets, rims, is also easy.
7. Durability. Although Rustoleum is a little soft for 6+ mounts, the paint is thick enough that it can be color sanded or clay barred many times over. My 10 year old paint job still shines, while many 10 year old cars have clearcoats that are already worn through.
8. Last but not least, pride. People will be amazed at the results and you'll have the pride to say you did it yourself.

Obviously, a $30k+ car deserves a paint job to match. My C3 is a driver, not a showcar (although it did take 1st place in a show and shine), I don't have a fortune in it, and I am not a rich man. In my case it made sense.
Okay...makes sense,
I ran my 66 in black wet sanded primer for all the same reasons and my 69 will be in the same because I just happen to like it...

With the 66 every show I was at and I was the only primered car allowed in at old town in those days someone would ask "when you gonna paint it" I would even have car painters all but beg me to allow them to paint the car I would always say...when you will paint it for free I will bring it to you...no takers.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Okay...makes sense,
I ran my 66 in black wet sanded primer for all the same reasons and my 69 will be in the same because I just happen to like it...

With the 66 every show I was at and I was the only primered car allowed in at old town in those days someone would ask "when you gonna paint it" I would even have car painters all but beg me to allow them to paint the car I would always say...when you will paint it for free I will bring it to you...no takers.
Is Old Town still around and have weekend car shows? It's been many years since I went.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Is Old Town still around and have weekend car shows? It's been many years since I went.
I haven't been in a while many stores closed and were replaced with tourist traps, I heard many games and rides went south when they lost that land in the back, that is why NCRS had to find a new place, which I see as a huge blow to OT.
Last time I went the people who did control the back land were charging to park and the attendants were nasty foul mouthed jerks, not OT's fault but it makes them look bad.
Things like all the c2's and c3's and herd of Cobras do not show up like they did,
Last time I had the 69 there ( 73-79 front clip ) a fellow had a fit that I parked next to his "real" 73.
When I get going again I will hit it but sadly it's not what it once was...
Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I work for an industrial supply company, so I just emailed my Rust-Oleum rep about this. Turns out he painted his motorcycle with their urethane paint. I'm trying to find out if I can possibly color match to my existing fire engine red paint. I need a temporary paint job that will last until I can begin a frame off resto at which time I'll repaint.
I've painted all my engine blocks with rustoleum, usually just brushed it on, after prep. In a few cases, I mixed colors to get a hue close to factory. I recently restored a 50's Craftsman 6" metal lathe and mixed a little green model paint to rustoleum gray to closley match the original color.
Attached Images   
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the middle of rolling on my paintjob right now too. She's been sitting for years and I finally just got her up and rolling and finishing up the paint now. Here's some pics of the 1st full coat, should be done in a few weeks. I think it looks fantastic, especially for $100. By the way, I ended up choosing Interlux Brightside instead of Rustoleum as it's made for fiberglass (boats), has a higher shine, and is supposed to last much longer than Rustoleum. It's a little pricier and there's only a few color choices, but so far I'm thrilled with it. Hope to post some final photos soon.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I call B.S.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

LOL... B.S. on what???

Get notified of new replies

To Roller paint job

Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

You didn't paint that with a roller brush.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

And that response is what makes it oh so worth it!

My neighbor says the same thing. Looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I was gonna paint it myself with a roller and then said "ahhh, I see you decided the roller was dumb and you're doing a real paintjob huh?" when he saw the first coat... Nope, that IS from a roller. Can't wait until the final coat is all sanded and polished out!

I promise you, this is with a foam roller and $100 worth of paint. Look it up... there's plenty of guys getting show quality results with rollers. Mine won't be show quality, but it will definitely be good enough and leaves me with a few more thousand to spend on other stuff!

Just to "prove it" to ya, here's my tools and here's one T-top that just got it's very first coat with roller marks and all.

Last edited by Mcjoshin; 02-29-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I'll believe it when I see the video of you rolling it on the car.

Quick Reply: Roller paint job