C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good mechanic needed around Lynn Ma.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good mechanic needed around Lynn Ma.

I have a list of electrical issues on my 72 coupe such as no back up lights, horn,interior lights,windshield wipers, ignition buzzer is on when drivers door opens Turn key on and it's off Looking for someone in my area that's good with electrical issues Thanks for your help
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 197
I have a list of electrical issues on my 72 coupe such as no back up lights, horn,interior lights,windshield wipers, ignition buzzer is on when drivers door opens Turn key on and it's off Looking for someone in my area that's good with electrical issues Thanks for your help
Maybe try Rowley Corvette? Sounds like someone had the dash apart and f-ed things up. There are probably issues with the steering column also.

Rick B.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Rick ill give them a call And you're right about someone Messing around I see some bare spliced wires up under there and all wires look like they've been pushed and pulled around fishing for problems I replaced the bad fuse to my courtesy lights and it blew after a few seconds The horn could simply be a bad relay But with the laundry list of problems I'm having And not being much good beyond the obvious w electrical I'm leaning to having a pro look at it and getting in some ride time before it snows again
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 197
Thanks Rick ill give them a call And you're right about someone Messing around I see some bare spliced wires up under there and all wires look like they've been pushed and pulled around fishing for problems I replaced the bad fuse to my courtesy lights and it blew after a few seconds The horn could simply be a bad relay But with the laundry list of problems I'm having And not being much good beyond the obvious w electrical I'm leaning to having a pro look at it and getting in some ride time before it snows again
I had a bizarre shorting problem in my dash lights that I finally figured out. I had what I thought was a missing bulb in the heater control light. Turned out the old bulb had broken off and left just the bottom contact and the wire attached to it. When I plugged in a new bulb I had a nice +12 to GND short. Took at least a half dozen fuses before I found the problem. If you replaced any bulbs check to make sure the socket is really empty.

Horns not working can be several things. Check the voltage at the horn itself first. Could be just a bad ground connection. Or someone could have messed around with the horn button mechanism.

Try to learn some troubleshooting techniques from the forum. You will go broke fast going to a shop for electrical problems. Most electrical problems are fairly common to all C3s and there are a lot of good answers here.

Rick B.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Hi Rick Thanks again I agree and would much rather do the repairs myself w a little help from the forum I've been cramed in my garage with her for 7 months of all my spare time and have solved all kinds of issues along the way I guess after the long winter up here and the nice weather arrived I'm ready to light em up Truth is the horn and back up lights are the necessary fixes needed and could be as simple as a new horn relay and a new reverse switch I have the shop manual out Taking another stab at it Thanks again Ill check the ground first

Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a meter, I would remove all of the fuses on the fuse panel and connect the + lead of the meter to each load, blk lead to ground set the meter to read "continuity" and go to each circuit i.e. lights, horn, etc. to check for shorts to ground. You might find a short that way if one of the circuits read a resistance to ground. Meter should read open for each load circuit.
Good luck.
John
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Thanks John I can borrow a meter and give it a go Popedboff the horn cap and found the small spring behind a pin was worn After replacing it I now get a click at the relay when I push the horn Better than nothing That's typical Most single problems have had multable issues if anyone checks in does the click at the relay tell you anything I'm going to run a wire to my battery and check the horn and its ground next
Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM
John485garage
Advanced

looks to me by your pictures you are restoring the interior? My question is did all the electric's work before you removed the interior? Or was the car that way when you got it? I own a 73 haven't had any electrical issues but my 75 did. I found that out when Bubba got into the center console he cut into the main power wire leading into the power window switches, poor job trying to tape up bear wire which would ground itself on the front metal bracket support. I also live in Ma.
John
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Hi John the electrical issues aren't self inflicted They did all exist before I got into stripping the interior It did give me a good look at the wires under the console and thru the body Everything I could see looked ok I know there are issues w the 3 wires that connect at least one of the door switches but I don't think it's a grounding issue It does look like the engine wiring has been by previous owner as there is a new fuse box w 3 modern fuses mounted to the wheel well I'm guessing these multiple issues may have been caused at that time There is a fresh splice into a heavy gauge wire (ignition?) that is not taped Bare wire is exposed that is never a good sign to previous work done Lookig forward to the day I may see you out there on our pothole ridden roads Speed safe
Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Oh boy, in your case one step at a time with electrical issues. My Vette is stored in Saugus over the winter, went for a short ride last night. there is plenty of help on this forum and hopefully you get it all corrected. Don't know if Fuddruckers in Saugus started there car show yet but my take my car tomorrow after work by to check it out.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Forgot to add that papawanna on this forum has copies of electrical schematics for your year car if you don't have them, a big help chasing electrical issues.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

Hi John I have the 72 Chevy service Manual but maybe his pages are better than mine ill give him a shout I ride by Fudruckers between 5&6pm if weather looks good I'd be on a black 2000 road king if u check in let me know what you driving Always good to meet other vette owners One way or another ill get mine road worthy soon enough Thanks again
Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM
John485garage
Advanced

I hope to swing by Fuddruckers around 5 today. I'll be in a 73 Orange color vette. Taking her home from Saugus winter storage. I have a copy of my vettes wiring diagram I can give you if I see you there. looking at your picture is that an LT-1 you have?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

Thanks again John If I see you I'm sure your diagrams will be useful Solved the horn issue late last night Again it was more than one thing but I figured it should be the easiest on my list Next is the back up lights Yes on the LT1 48,000 original mi Cali car Sunflower yellow Orrigional drive train No AC or I'd be sitting on a gold mine Still a very nice ride
Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 AM
John485garage
Advanced

oh yeah would love to have one. But for the prices out there I'm better off buying a C6 or C7!! I had my eyes on one on craigslist last year near Westford Ma., barn find convertible but did not have the original motor. I don't think it ever sold asking prices was way off, high mileage. Anyway maybe see you later today at Fuddruckers. Hopefully other cars will be there.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:39 AM
John485garage
Advanced

I did not make it to Fuddruckers yesterday, work got in my way. Don't know if any cars were there but will try next week weather permitting. I'll see if I can attached my year Vette electrical diagram for you to use.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette 1973 wiring.pdf (349.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:21 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

are you just being silly? messing with me? I am in Lynn ☺️

Get notified of new replies

To Good mechanic needed around Lynn Ma.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

I did but later than I'd thought More like 6pm About 20-25 cars , music and great burgers There are a few more shows around during the week North shore mall And Kitty's resteraunt in Billrica Hoping to get some time in the garage this weekend Going to flip a coin to decide on wiper issue or backUp lights ?? Hope yours is running well after storage I passed an orange vette on Main st around 6pm Thurs Thought it might have been you??
Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Hi Boston Sounds like we're all neighbors
Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

ill help you do your trouble shooting...are you from lynn originally? i am from medford

Quick Reply: Good mechanic needed around Lynn Ma.