While your at it....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While your at it....

After forgetting to replace the bulb on my 76 radio while I had the dash apart, I thought it might be helpful to start a "While your at it" thread.

For example,

Heater Core replacement AC Cars, while your at it replace the bulbs on your console and the seals on the heater / ac vents, ductwork.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Replacing the carpeting, might as well add Dynamat and reflectix. Oh but wait, as long as the seats are out replace the covers. but before you do that may as well replace the foam on the seats too. on and on and on.

Terry
Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Whatchu' talking about Willis??? That's a never, ever ending process on these cars!!!

:
Old 03-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

indeed it is. There are a few jobs like pulling the drivers dash and replacing a heater core that allow other things to be done. I don't care to do my heater core again! And fighting those little nuts on the center console just aren't worth a radio dial light.

Kills me because I have pictures of my radio et al that were out as I did the core. If only I thought to check it.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:33 PM
spjrr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this thread idea as I have often wondered why I didn't do a little additional work while I had things apart. My thought at the time is my arms and most of my body was numb from working almost around the clock on a car that started out as a pig. That made me feel like I was just putting lipstick on a pig until years later when all the times of working on it made me realize it is a work in progress as I never started out thinking it would be a frame off restoration.

However, I found a car for sale that the description listed lots of new things on the car. One thing all new poly suspension bushings. Why oh Why would you go to all that work and not clean up the parts. Guy did all that work to remove trailing arms, front control arms and didn't blast them or wire brush them and rattle can some krylon semi gloss on them.

What a waste.

Mark

Last edited by spjrr; 03-21-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Started at as replacing a door that had broken lock mechanism &also broken window mechanism .
..almost 2 years later , I'm where I'm at now . New door , PLUS , a new paint job , complete new interior ( dash , seats , carpet , door panels , etc ) and working on undercarriage / suspension now....Lol
Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

75 sits too high in front. So decided to change ft springs, should be done in a few hours. HA! That was 3 weeks ago.
Well while I am at it lower ball joints, control arm bushing, sway bar links & noticed the seal in the timing change cover is leaking, when I repair the cover seal then replace the timing chain. And the cam stock L48 31 K miles?
I do not think this car will EVER be done.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 AM
KSL '67 101234
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope you don't mind a C2 guy jumping in on this thread, which is a great idea. I took my instrument panel out to change the bulbs and thought while I'm at it I might as well add an AC unit as long as the under-dash is exposed. With the steering wheel removed sure would be child's play to replace the wiring harness, it isn't getting any younger! Might as well get the radio overhauled too while its out. Oh, what good is a working radio with a 46 year old speaker. And on and on and on. Fortunately, I started the bulb changeout in December and had the AC etal working by July 4th!

Imagine hearing from your surgeon in postop after performing your shoulder repair surgery, "oh by the way while I had your shoulder butterflied open I noticed you're going to need rotator cuff repair. Let's schedule that procedure after your shoulder heals."

So, moral of the "project creep-surgery" story is that while you've got "it" apart take a look around, and time, money and patience allowing see what else is accessible for repair or replacing and DO IT.

Lastly, if a number of changes to a system are being made eg., replacing an external regulator/alternator setup for an internal regulated alternator along with wiring upgrades, adding relays etc. make one change at a time and verify the work was done correctly and that the parts are performing as advertised or expected. Making too many changes at once and discovering there is a problem can sometimes lead to a situation that takes longer to diagnose and fix than the original job. Thank goodness for my good friend Jack Daniels who helped me through a number of those sessions!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 486 Posts

Needed a clutch, found pilot was broken messing up the crank.
So while we had the tranny out pulled the motor for a rebuild. While we were at it make it a 496. While the engine was out replace the radiator.

Now what do I do with the M20 since we have it out.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny, sounds like we 2 titles..

While Your at It.. A precautionary Tale

and

One Thing Leads to Another.. A tale of Corvette owners every where!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson

Now what do I do with the M20 since we have it out.
Easy: set it in the box that the new 5 or 6 speed transmission came in and stuff the Muncie in the corner of the garage, to save if you wish to return to OEM. Of course, while-you're-at-it, get a new pressure plate, disc, fork, throw out and pilot bearing, check the flywheel to see if it warrants a resurface or replacement, new drive shaft, new u-joints, new trans mount, and adapter. Don't forget the new grade 8 fasteners, too.

Cascades real quick when ones mind starts considering....
Old 03-23-2015, 07:03 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was getting ready to do the LS1 swap I started banging on the frame with a pointed hammer because I knew there were rust problems. Turned out the frame was so weak that I ended up doing a body-off frame replacement/suspension/drivetrain rebuild. I'm glad that it was done but it extended the project by 5 years!

Rick B.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to change the radiator cap. It was connected to the radiator. That was connected to the radiator hoses. They were connected to the engine. That was connected to the transmission. Which was connected to the driveshaft. Which was connected to the differential. Which was connected to the frame. That was connected to the body ... and there you have another body off restoration started by a bad radiator cap.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Why even bother starting a thread like this... It was meant to help folks.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Ahhhh.... so I see what is happening.
One thought is while you are doing something, you should do another thing to make the process more efficient (A). The other is one thing leads to another (B)

Process (A) is: while you are rebuilding the stock clock that doesn't work, you might as well replace the gauge light bulbs because the gauge cluster is out. That is a reasonable thing to do since it is already out.

Process (B) is: while I replace my cam, I might as well replace the valve springs to the new beehive springs, and 1.6 roller rockers. Hmmm...new AFR heads would be better, but then the stock manifold should be replaced to decrease the weight, and install an Edlebrock Performer so that it will clear the hood height, but then why not replace the carburetor too, but then a stock ignition system would not work, so a new distributor with a MSD 6AL would be better.

Process (A) is meant to be beneficial for efficiency reasons. Process (B) is a while you are at it morphing $$$$ thread.

kdf
Old 03-25-2015, 01:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,203 Likes on 2,758 Posts

While I'm at it.........................I'd better sell the Harley to pay off my charge card after running into a couple other problems while replacing the stripped odometer gear
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I pulled the worn out engine out of my '81. I have replaced the ac evaporator core, radiator, and ordered the Borgeson steering kit yesterday. I plan to upgrade to a Sanden compressor when I get the new motor in and running. There is no end to the madness.

Get notified of new replies

To While your at it....

Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

As my friend Hooah says (after a brake job), "Might as well do a frame off, while you're at it."
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I have stopped myself many times from saying to heck with it and starting a body off, but as my Buddy's wife keeps telling me.. there is an easy fix to this problem.

In her words :

Step 1: Remove radiator cap

Step 2: Back old car out of garage

Step 3: Drive new car into garage

Step 4: Re-install radiator cap

Done.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ike27
Why even bother starting a thread like this... It was meant to help folks.
It's your thread, Ike.

Quick Reply: While your at it....