Sponsored by:

Aux fan by-pass switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aux fan by-pass switch

I am considering installing a aux fan by-pass switch to have some control on when to turn on the aux fan on my 1982 corvette. I live in Florida and the engine does get hot during the summer months, but apparently not hot enough to trigger the aux fan @238 degrees. I would like any feedback on the pros/cons in installing this rocker switch controlled within the car. I am aware of the 30 amp requirement for the switch and the wiring, but is it really necessary? My primary concern is that during traffic and in-town driving, with the A/C on, the water temp rises and the engine seems to not perform as well as it does during the winter (if you want to call it winter in Florida) months. I would install a 10 gauge wire from one terminal of the temp switch through a rocker switch and back to the other terminal. This, in theory would not eliminate the temp switch, it would just allow me to complete the connection (that the temp switch does at temperature) at an earlier setting for a desired set of time.

Last edited by scorpion18z; 01-26-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm sure that your fans are controlled by a relay. Wire the auxiliary switch so that the relay closes, which usually means completing the relay coil circuit to ground.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I changed the sensor on my '81 so the fan comes on sooner. Here is a link to the part that I used.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890017/overview/
Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

The factory wanted these cars to run hot for emissions reasons, I live over in orlando and both my 81's had extra electric fans I added for better temps and ac in our weather,
The switch street rat posted will do the trick but shop around they can be had cheaper,
Yes, big draw items like fans really should have a relay.

Get notified of new replies

To Aux fan by-pass switch

Quick Reply: Aux fan by-pass switch