C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Greenwood/Ecklers Daytona's on the forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

A 427 will fit under a stock hood...curious if he has some ram injector or ?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:51 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Was an aftermarket edelbrock intake. I don't think it is an original greenwood Versus a kit car. Interestingly, the guy was giving the car to his son and mentioned something about trading me for my 03 350zx that I pulled up in. I'm really interested in checking the numbers on the 427. Motor alone could be worth my daily driver ricer. Lol.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:08 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Might as well pile on. That hood is horrible. What the h3ll was he thinking?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a FAST cross ram on mine then the hi rise hood didn't fit so I made a Ramair hood. At the body shop now waiting on paint (I have a mold if anybody would like to do the same).

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

To each his own I guess. So the guy keeps hinting around that the car is for sale for the "right price". Any "rough" estimate on what a fair price for this car is. Basically headlights not working, other lights good. 427 Fires right up. Auto. Interior is trashed. No big obvious cracks or body damage. Guy drives it 5-10 miles with no problems.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

A work in progress, with no progress
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default my 77 Daytona Widebody

http://daytimedaytonapics.shutterfly.com/#n_3

Cant post pics but here is a link with several pictures. Got this one in 1996, for 3,500.00
Did some work on it too,
Richard
Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by richard emmanuel
http://daytimedaytonapics.shutterfly.com/#n_3

Cant post pics but here is a link with several pictures. Got this one in 1996, for 3,500.00
Did some work on it too,
Richard

Very nice!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I can appreciate the attraction some people have for them.
They miss the mark with undersized tires/wheels..must have the proper tire/wheel combination, to fill up the wheel well area, along with the proper "stance" to really pull off the "look".
To get beyond just the "look", they also should perform/handle the part as well, to capture the respect they then would deserve.
The completed "look" I refer to is, really more than a "look", it is an aggressive, no-nonsense, in your face, raw performance package.
Keep posting pics..love to see them.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 775 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
They miss the mark with undersized tires/wheels..must have the proper tire/wheel combination, to fill up the wheel well area, along with the proper "stance" to really pull off the "look".
To get beyond just the "look", they also should perform/handle the part as well, to capture the respect they then would deserve.
The completed "look" I refer to is, really more than a "look", it is an aggressive, no-nonsense, in your face, raw performance package.

Done right, these are good looking cars (and I openly admit I'm envious of all that wheelwell room for wide tires).

If I have any complaint about these cars it's probably that it's nearly unheard of seeing any of these cars at an actual track day, doing what the styling/visuals suggest.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
If I have any complaint about these cars it's probably that it's nearly unheard of seeing any of these cars at an actual track day, doing what the styling/visuals suggest.
You'll have to go to a vintage race.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Done right, these are good looking cars (and I openly admit I'm envious of all that wheelwell room for wide tires).

Shades of candy apple gray,

Wide bodies have a skinny cult following,
I have a Daytona Wide body kit, won it in a card game, lol but it's just yard art, I will not be building it and no one wants it.

I see the street wide bodies like I do any custom, I love and respect well done ones and have no use for the hack jobs, it would be cool to see a street wide body tricked out race style, and yes, the wheels and tires make or break the look,

I thought about old school wide body on my 69 but I wanted the other race car look this time...with chrome bumpers,
We have to be kind and forgiving of the average Wide body ( can -am , turbo, Greenwood etc ) owner who built or bought the car not to race on tracks but rather street drive and have fun with, show off a little, like any custom c3 street car.

Most do not have race engines or suspensions and are running the "street" versions of the body kits, the race versions are big bulging beastly things, loud , no interiors, etc "race cars" that might scare other drivers on the street,

Most of the street wide bodies have nice paint and interiors exhaust and the owners do not want to muck them up doing any kind of "real" racing.
my wide body had an engine way too hyper to be a good street engine in my opinion, making it less fun to drive, sort of like the overbuilt AC Cobra clones that posture as racers on the street.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
It is all about personal taste, some people just dig it the way it came factory, and nothing more others like lightly modded others dig full tilt radical, which the Daytonas are that and then some, people who have to go out of their way to bash a well built car could do it for lots of reasons, bored, jealous, or perhaps they really don't like it and think the world needs to know how they feel. ( ego driven )
I have respects for all customs even ones that some bash and trash just because, if the car isn't a hack job then I can respect the work, doesn't matter if the build is my cup o tea or not but I am far more outside the box and more open minded that many...

Something to remember is both the Eckler versions were a little different than the ones Greenwood made/raced, little changes here and there,
inal...

Well said, Not all wants to keep their Vette's Original
Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
inal...

Well said, Not all wants to keep their Vette's Original
I was interested in vettes before I got serious to get one, It was the late 70's and I would see cove backs, bubble butts, hard tops, then being a time people embraced customs we had slope backs , hatch backs mako backs, chrome bumpers, plastic bumpers, spoilers air damns, flares body panels etc etc....my point is it was a long time even after I had my 72 before I got savvy what was factory stock or some sort of custom,
Look at the Ecklers Daytona front bumper you have, one hell of a popular custom touch But in the case of the Daytona nose, it looks so good it "could" be stock....okay I asked for it.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 775 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
You'll have to go to a vintage race.
While I agree that one can occasionally see an old Greenwood (styled) racecar at vintage races, my point was that you will rarely, if ever, see one of these street car "copies" enjoying a day at the track, unlike some of the more modestly styled C3s.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

While I agree that one can occasionally see an old Greenwood (styled) racecar at vintage races, my point was that you will rarely, if ever, see one of these street car "copies" enjoying a day at the track, unlike some of the more modestly styled C3s.
How do I say this, my take on it is,
what might be throwing it off is these "look" like and are inspired by race cars, but mostly are not race cars in a purpose built sense.
Is most cases the "styled" as you put it wide bodies are just another custom c3, to see one at a track would be akin to seeing any other custom c3 on the track, in the sense of being set up to enjoy a day at the track, when you see one at a track it's like "bring your street car day" at a local drag strip.
I went to a few auto cross events with old vw kit cars, the moment a person the least bit car savvy looked at a real racer and then a street car just playing that day there was no comparing, not saying running a stock streeter in race events is a bad thing at all, just be real.
My 69 build will in that sense be something of a poser, it will "look" like a racer, it will have some stuff better than a period correct racer but like many cats who overbuild Cobras my 69 will likey never see a track, I do not want to trash/crash it.
I was told by a fellow who used to race an old expensive vintage car that you were on the track alone, if you wrecked your car it wasn't at the fault of another driver...their werent any....but some events do have other drivers and a car could get ruined quick.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I'll soften this a bit and say the body of these cars were race car inspired but most of them scream custom. Making them look like a custom as opposed to a race car misses the mark to those of us who are intrigued by the Greenwood race cars. In any case please keep posting pictures custom or race car. I as well as the others like looking at them.

Get notified of new replies

To How many Greenwood/Ecklers Daytona's on the forum?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:05 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I'll soften this a bit and say the body of these cars were race car inspired but most of them scream custom. Making them look like a custom as opposed to a race car misses the mark to those of us who are intrigued by the Greenwood race cars. In any case please keep posting pictures custom or race car. I as well as the others like looking at them.

Seems you and I are on the same page you just said it faster and better than I did,

For me The only "race" cars posted so far in this thread are the two I posted the rest with all due respects are "customs" but not "race" cars, just customs inspired by race cars.
And sure many people see one they do not think custom they think race car then get disappointed when it's a street car.

I recall the whole "what is a "race" car" debate would pop up on one of my kit car forums and cause lots of chapped asses where fellows would think that taking their "car" whatever make and model to the track here and there made the car a "race car" and them "race car drivers".
Some fellows need that type thing.

I also like many people have a pretty well defined idea what a "race" car is, mine starts with the build and goes into it's history and current use.
In the case of this thread Daytonas and wide bodies one can see pretty quickly the difference in a "race" version or custom street version, I was rooting through my picture collection but really can't find a custom street version set up like a race car, but like I said it takes more than a lap on a track to be a "race" car to me.
This should not be confused at least coming from me that I am in any way insulting the "street custom versions"
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Seems you and I are on the same page you just said it faster and better than I did,

For me The only "race" cars posted so far in this thread are the two I posted the rest with all due respects are "customs" but not "race" cars, just customs inspired by race cars.
And sure many people see one they do not think custom they think race car then get disappointed when it's a street car.

I recall the whole "what is a "race" car" debate would pop up on one of my kit car forums and cause lots of chapped asses where fellows would think that taking their "car" whatever make and model to the track here and there made the car a "race car" and them "race car drivers".
Some fellows need that type thing.

I also like many people have a pretty well defined idea what a "race" car is, mine starts with the build and goes into it's history and current use.
In the case of this thread Daytonas and wide bodies one can see pretty quickly the difference in a "race" version or custom street version, I was rooting through my picture collection but really can't find a custom street version set up like a race car, but like I said it takes more than a lap on a track to be a "race" car to me.
This should not be confused at least coming from me that I am in any way insulting the "street custom versions"
Most of us that have customs are not trying to call them Race Cars. As I recall the OP was asking who on the Forum has a Datona/greenwood.

I sure will not call my 73 a race car as it will be driven on the street but will be pushing in the 600 HP range. My Street Rod has a 671 blower pushing 833 HP and its not a Race car just a Street Rod.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
Most of us that have customs are not trying to call them Race Cars. As I recall the OP was asking who on the Forum has a Datona/greenwood.

I sure will not call my 73 a race car as it will be driven on the street but will be pushing in the 600 HP range. My Street Rod has a 671 blower pushing 833 HP and its not a Race car just a Street Rod.
Walking bare foot on broken glass egg shells and thin ice, thanks for pointing out we drifted off topic...
I never said anyone was calling a custom a "race" car I didn't roll my eyes not once...I was commenting to the other fellow that the Daytona's and wide bodies here are "street" versions,
I sure wasn't trying to offend anyone, sorry if I did,
While you say your cars are not "race" cars for now they are super cool customs with big HP on tap...

It''s fun to me that we live in a time that my neighbors Lexus puts out more factory HP than many race cars did when my 69 came out...

Quick Reply: How many Greenwood/Ecklers Daytona's on the forum?