Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Stock Strut Rods on 1977 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FedEx brought presents today all my new rear suspension hardware. So took a few pictures of old and new hardware.

I figured the best way to show the warp in the old Mono Spring Center Plate was place it on top of the new plate which is flat and put something behind it so you can see through the warp in the old Center Plate.

I have a decision to make on the Poly Urethane Bushings that came with the new bolts or use the ones that came in Energy Suspension Full Suspension kit. The ones that came with the new Spring Mounting Bushings are 1/8 of an inch shorter which are the same height of the worn out bushings. the new Energy Suspension bushings will raise rear about 1/4 of an inch over what the new Mono spring will raise it. Since they are Poly they will not compress like the old rubber mounts did. The new Mono Spring is going to raise the rear a bit also.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 PM
77-L48
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been enjoying your posts.

Just a questions, why didn't you blast and paint the Strut Rod bracket while you had it out?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 77-L48
I have been enjoying your posts.

Just a questions, why didn't you blast and paint the Strut Rod bracket while you had it out?

Thanks,
Joel
Joel it has gotten too cold now since I live in Colorado. It is also snowing today so not good weather to paint and we have another storm coming in after this one might come over the mountains mid week or next weekend. We do not have many warm days and they rarely are on the weekends. Everything I am putting in this winter will have to be torn out again next fall since I will be doing work on the Drive Shafts and Trailing Arms. I chose not to tear that stuff out this winter since my budget did not have it in the bank to replace all the U-Joints, Clean and recondition then have the drive shafts re-balanced and have the rear bearings replaced. Will not know what I am getting into when I start that project since everything I have run into so far has cost more and taken longer then I expected !!!!! I like project cars and been a little over 25 years since I have taken one on.

I will do it next fall when I do the drive train was my reasoning on this one. I have to replace a bunch more parts and repaint more stuff when the weather is warmer starting next October.

If I still lived in Georgia like you do I would have done more painting of the rear suspension

Last edited by MakoJoe; 01-31-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 AM
77-L48
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotcha. Understand completely.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

I went to the Physical Terrorist for Physical Torture on my guts today so not about to screw up the work they did on my body today but all I have to do this weekend is bolt the new spring in place than I can drop my car back on the ground. Too freaking cold today after a snow storm to also do any work on the car. Weather is supposed to warm up so I will be able to take it out for a test drive.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Here is where I need some expert Help.

So guys that really know here is what I am seeing.

I installed the bracket on my Mono Spring but it seems to be about 2 inches off when attempting to install the Mounts on the Trailing Arm. The Spring Pin is set in the Differential and sits flat so I know that is not the problem but when lifting the new spring it is like 2 inches off.

Could it be the rear Differential rubber bushings on the body/frame mounts are so compressed that it is off setting the spring by 2 inches? That is my first thought that I really need to replace these bushings also? since they could be so compressed it is throwing off the alignment of my rear spring? I am fairly certain that is the cause of the off set I am seeing.

I am at the mercy of my camera so pictures are a little dark.

On these other 2 you can see the dark pictures and also the 2 inch off set on the spring to the mount. i took them a few times and could not get a better picture.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Success I have the new Spring Installed with help from my buddies in the C3 Corvette forum on Facebook. They provided the additional information I required to get it installed properly.

After trying this 3 different ways 2 of them attempting to use 2 floor jacks than I was like why do not I just use a Long Block of wood to lift the suspension to drive height.

To install the rear spring both side need to be lifted up to about drive height or you will see the problems I saw in my previous post your about 2 inches off.

Before jacking up the passenger side I put my other floor jack up under the completed drivers side to lift it up to almost drive height again. Why you might ask would I do this? Well if the drivers side did not have tension released on the spring it wanted to twist in the center bracket. You need the other side lifted to install the other side other wise the spring will bind and want to twist. Another tip do not completely tighten down the center bracket after installing it. You will need the spring to move in the bracket.

Now all I have to do is install the rear tires and put my Ramps up under the car then drop the full weight of the car onto the suspension. I will show this tomorrow.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 02-06-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Car is all back together now and sitting the Ramps with a Dead Battery so will not be able to drive it until Sunday.

When I tightened down the Mono Spring Center Plate I used the old X Pattern to evenly tighten down the bolts. Sunday is supposed to be in the low 60s so I will take it out for a test drive tomorrow. Will take a day off soon to take it into my Buddies shop to have the alignment performed. Project is done hope some the problems I overcame and worked around helps someone out in the future

Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Finally got the battery Charged up and ran it off the ramps. Freaking car sits Frame to Floor 7.5 inches now. I am hoping it will lower at least an inch after test driving it on Sunday morning. Meeting a fellow C3 Buddy for breakfast than taking our cars out for a drive since we are going to be in unusual mid 60 degrees. I still need to take it to my buddies shop for an alignment but putting a Square on the rear it is really close so it will not eat up the tires too much.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Let us know how it rides compared to the old spring. I've been thinking I need to replace the rear spring but I'm worried my ride comfort would suffer too much.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nicely done. Inspires me to tackle mine!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
Let us know how it rides compared to the old spring. I've been thinking I need to replace the rear spring but I'm worried my ride comfort would suffer too much.
The ride comfort only gets better if you go back with stock style parts.

I started out with 2 Blown Rear Shocks and then reconditioned the parts than replaced all the bushings and springs in the entire front suspension. Front looks almost brand new everywhere.

Took a month off from working on the car than replaced bushings some of the rear suspension parts you see posted. I went back with all poly urethane bushings.

I wanted to have an even ride this spring. Took it for a short ride Sunday Morning and rode like a new car. Still need to take her in foran Alignment since the rear Chamber is way off but fairly close on the front since it tracks straight when I let off the steering wheel.

Next project this spring is a new transmission and exhaust system. Then I am done until next fall and will do the rest of the drive train.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Strut Rods on 1977 Corvette