time to let the vette go

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You guys are killin me with all this talk.

Seriously, I understand the many pitfalls life has to offer sometimes (believe me I've experienced most of them). I would go stir crazy without the vettes or bikes. Those are the very therapy objects that help me through those trying times.

Trust me when I say that I'm definitely not making light of personal situations but it just pains me to see long time friends (even if it is forum based) talking about selling. Just my simple opinion based input guys.

Terry
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It the circle of life.....where one story ends, another begins. I am the third owner of my car, and I wonder sometimes what their experience was owning my car, how it began, and how it ended, as it will with me....Its just my turn now. When you think about it, that is kinda cool.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:06 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I cannot relate, because no matter how many times I look at my C3's or how many times I drive them, I never get tired of them. All I have to do after a long day at work is get in and drive, come back home, all problems gone.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 AM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can totally relate to everything said so far on this thread. And believe me I understand the effects of declining health and personal loss.

The funny thing is, this old C3 is what helps me escape and cope. It draws me into a simple mechanical world where everything makes sense. It will always need work on something. It will always leak somewhere. It will never win anything more than a participation trophy. Yes, sometimes it hurts physically to shift the gears while driving it. But I don't care. This car makes me smile. I have never used the car cover because it makes me happy to walk by it in the garage as I take my daily driver to work. And whenever I start it up, well then I get truly happy. Hard to explain why driving a cranky built up 4-speed (with no heater by the way) on a 20 degree day makes me happy, but there it is.

All I am saying is think it over before selling. The car may be doing more for you than you think.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Deron
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TODD C
ive been kicking the idea of selling my 79 corvette for a while now. ive had it since 98, but it rarely gets driven anymore. as soon as i can get my friend to take some pics and get it online for me, im gonna see if it gets any attention in the vettes for sale forum.
Todd I know the feeling. I've owned my 73 for 10 years and much of the passion with it is gone. I put her up for sale and just today posted in the C3's for sale.
I never imagined myself doing this but the time has come to move on.

It's hard to get all mushy though because I just finished the restoration of another 73 convertible this past spring that had been sitting in my garage as a project for 9 years! That car with its HP 383 and 4 speed gets all of the attention now. Some day it will be that cars turn too. Life goes on.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:40 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
So true. Notice I did not say I was selling the 1974. I just seemed to lose interest last summer. It may come back in spring.

OK, this is not my thread. Over and out. Get back to TODD.
What's with all the doom and gloom .....it's like a virus ....

Was 70's here today , all was right with the world ...till I saw this and several others throwing in the towel. .Winter is bummer . Not the cold ...but the lack of sunlight is what kills me .

My corvette and Camaro keep me young at heart anyway.

Btw .....the hardtop is magnificent
Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
At the ripe old age of 56, I have rediscovered motorcycles after many years away from it and am looking to sell the Corvette to buy another bike.
Keep Vette and add a bike?
I've been on and off with Corvettes and bikes my whole life. I know if I sell off the bikes or vettes I'll regret it a year later. Actually my wife told me not to sell the '81 which we have owned for 23 yrs when I added another one.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
What's with all the doom and gloom .....it's like a virus ....

Was 70's here today , all was right with the world ...till I saw this and several others throwing in the towel. .Winter is bummer . Not the cold ...but the lack of sunlight is what kills me .

My corvette and Camaro keep me young at heart anyway.

Btw .....the hardtop is magnificent
Thanks for the kind comment on the hardtop. It was one of my favourite restoration projects two winters ago although I rarely use it. Just a "want-to-have" so I did it. No regrets!

I get cranky this time of year as winter approaches. Snow and freezing rain today. And 15*F tonight. Not pleasant but it defines Canada.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM
TODD C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might go drive my vette tonight if its not wet outside. im stuck at work right now. some of the posts are making me think twice about selling. ive never been good at decision making, LOL.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 PM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Keep Vette and add a bike?
I've been on and off with Corvettes and bikes my whole life. I know if I sell off the bikes or vettes I'll regret it a year later. Actually my wife told me not to sell the '81 which we have owned for 23 yrs when I added another one.
Good suggestion, but I need the garage space. I already have a HD Electra Glide, and am looking to get something with a little more performance as a second bike...probably something Italian. Selling the Corvette will allow me to free up one bay of the garage and give me the funds to purchase the second bike with cash.

Unfortunately, I do not have enough garage space for the Corvette, two motorcycles, and my wife's car during the winter. She is ok with her car being outside for most of the year, but not when there is frost and snow.

I am not in any particular rush, and have not had so much as a nibble in the For Sale section. I figure Spring will be better for getting the price I want. In the meantime, I am driving it to work tomorrow, and will use it on nice days throughout the winter. I have never been too cold in my Corvette, if you know what I mean (Airborne Silva, door gunner, and f22);-)

John
Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Thanks for the kind comment on the hardtop. It was one of my favourite restoration projects two winters ago although I rarely use it. Just a "want-to-have" so I did it. No regrets!

I get cranky this time of year as winter approaches. Snow and freezing rain today. And 15*F tonight. Not pleasant but it defines Canada.

That's so nice.....if I owned it ......within five minutes of being outside , guaranteed.... bird would poop on it
Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by LudemJo
Good suggestion, but I need the garage space. I already have a HD Electra Glide, and am looking to get something with a little more performance as a second bike...probably something Italian. Selling the Corvette will allow me to free up one bay of the garage and give me the funds to purchase the second bike with cash.

Unfortunately, I do not have enough garage space for the Corvette, two motorcycles, and my wife's car during the winter. She is ok with her car being outside for most of the year, but not when there is frost and snow.

I am not in any particular rush, and have not had so much as a nibble in the For Sale section. I figure Spring will be better for getting the price I want. In the meantime, I am driving it to work tomorrow, and will use it on nice days throughout the winter. I have never been too cold in my Corvette, if you know what I mean (Airborne Silva, door gunner, and f22);-)

John
Do I have to figure everything out for you my friend?

Old 12-05-2014, 06:08 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOOAH
Do I have to figure everything out for you my friend?

, that is a great setup you have there. I will keep that in mind.

John

Quick Reply: time to let the vette go