Sponsored by:

Steeroids Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steeroids Issue

I recently changed out my front bushings and ball joints. Upon doing so, I discovered that my drivers side A-arm had been bashed in at some point by a rock; decided to replace it with an undamaged one.

After putting it back together, I discovered that the tie rod off of my steering rack is now hitting the lower A-arm on the driver's side with the vehicle on the ground when you attempt to turn the vehicle to the right. The damage on the A-arm was the only thing that was letting the steeroids tie rod clear in the first place. After looking at it some more, the rack was actually in crooked this whole time, and mirrors almost exactly what Twin_Turbo in the following thread describes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pointment.html

I've been going back and forth with Speed Direct about this for almost 2 weeks now.

I installed this kit in 2003, which makes mine an early kit. They have changed the brackets over the years to address issues like this, and they want to charge me for replacement brackets. Part of me understands this a little, but part of me is also thinking, what the hell, this never would have worked in the first place if my lower control arm wasn't damaged. What do you guys think? I'm kind of hesitant to dump any more money into this kit.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 486 Posts

So it does not sit in the center like this with room to move left and right?

Maybe they can work out a deal if send your old ones back they can discount the brackets.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

It does that, and more.

They just called me back and are giving me 50% off on the brackets. It's still going to be like $150 when all is said and done, which is kind of irritating for a kit that I spent over a grand on to begin with, but we live and learn.

This is the damage on the arm that made me not want to put it back in.

Name:  QKvgX3t.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  865.3 KB

Name:  TqVbOYc.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  498.7 KB

Passenger Side tie rod clearance

Name:  sf5EecU.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  545.4 KB

Drivers side tie rod clearance

Name:  KhEsAT1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  477.0 KB
Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm going to check my steeroids. I don't recall seeng that issue installing it.

Your frame square?

Dodosmike
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I'm going to check my steeroids. I don't recall seeng that issue installing it.

Your frame square?

Dodosmike
As far as I can tell. It doesn't dog track, always aligned just fine and nothing really looks weird. Car has never been wrecked as far as I know.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How long has that damage been there? That must have been one hell-of-a rock!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Raphiki
How long has that damage been there? That must have been one hell-of-a rock!
Since before I owned it. Possibly before I was born. This car didn't move much since the mid 70's until I got it according to the previous owner, but who knows.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Is that rack the one used on Cavalier, Grand AM, Beretta, etc.?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 68-427Rich
Is that rack the one used on Cavalier, Grand AM, Beretta, etc.?
That's my understanding.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:45 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Yes, I got lucky in a Upickit junkyard, got a fresh rebuilt/new? rack from a '92 Grand am, even had the engine out.....this was winter 01-02.....I fabbed up my own mounts easy do far as I"m concerned, nice to have a cross support on the upper A arms though....the pass side is simple as pie, and the drivers side is just as easy....all I needed to make the lateral play on that input/left end was disappear was to take a diagonal steel bar from near the bottom of the bracket and back up at nearly a 45* angle to the forward outer bolt of the old power steering ram bracket on the bottom of the frame....I did it with just TWO universal joints that I made up from a bunch I bought from various vehicles for twenty bux, so like doing a driveshaft, I popped out the universals and greased them, putting together what was necessary to mate up the steering column to the input on the rack, the rack was tilted forward a lot to get the steering input up in the air far as possible, needed to cut a crescent out of the rear lower portion of the engine mount horn, up next to the frame......the output has unequal tie rods 19" and 21" because I did not want to put any clumsy long brackets on the rack due to torque/wear possibilities.... so the block I had made up was done at a local machine shop, bolts right on to the rack and uses stock tie rod ends not those open heim joints....all I did was cut the stock sleeves, drill them through the sides in a few spots, insert a 9/16 steel rod, and had it welded up by my buddy who did the mounts for me.....then we sleeved over with more tubing for weather/rust protection....

I can supply diagrams for the mounts if anyone wants, PM me....I will need your email though...

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids Issue

Quick Reply: Steeroids Issue