Sponsored by:

*$#@%&$@ Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:05 AM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default *$#@%&$@ Door Locks

My drivers side door is stuck in the locked position. This happened before and I finally ended up buying new locks and linkages, taking the car to a Vette shop and paying someone to fix it for me. The locks worked fine for two years, the first of which the car was rarely driven. I'd be surprised if there's even 1000 miles on the car since the work was done. The lock froze up on me once about a month ago but with just a couple of pulls on the inside handle it freed up. This time I just moved the lock to the locked position from the inside and I heard a big CLICK and that was it. I can only spin the **** about half of what it should move. It just won't give. None of my usual tricks work either. I'm not sure what to do.

I have nine months left over here in Italy and I can't get the car shipped if little things like doors won't open. This has been a problem with the car since I first bought it in 2006. I thought this was a thing of the past. Last time the little 'L' shaped adjustable rods in the linkage had bent. As the door is stuck in closed position I can't get the panel off to even see what's going on. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:12 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Bochawa72
I can't get the panel off to even see what's going on. Any ideas?
If it were mine, I would remove the passenger door panel and analyze what needs to be done to unlock the door using a slim jim. Then try it on the drivers side.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do a search for door lock. there is a tab you can reach in the door down through the window slot and push the tab on the lock and it WILL unlock. as long as you can get in from the other side and roll the window down.

good luck

edit: see photo in second post here...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ggestions.html

Last edited by jnealg; 09-23-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM
'Bochawa72
Pro

I've seen that photo before jnealg, problem is I have a nifty little plastic cover that blocks access to that tab from straight down. Thanks for the tip 71Green454, I'll try to do that and see if I can get it figured out. I guess the next question is, other than never locking the car again, what do I do to prevent this from happening once I get the door open?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

I've seen that photo before jnealg, problem is I have a nifty little plastic cover that blocks access to that tab from straight down. Thanks for the tip 71Green454, I'll try to do that and see if I can get it figured out. I guess the next question is, other than never locking the car again, what do I do to prevent this from happening once I get the door open?
Hopefully you'll get the door opened and see what's causing the problem. It might just be a simple problem with the linkage that can be resolved.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Tin_Can_Terminator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LUBRICATION !!

These are very mechanical systems. Gotta lube'em up occasionally.

TCT
Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's something simple that might be worth a try.

One at a time lightly push down on both outside door handles drivers and passengers until you feel where it starts moving the linkage. Note how far the handle moves down before it reaches that point. If the drivers side handle moves down further than the passenger side before actuating the linkage there's a good chance that the linkage is binding right at the handle.
You might be able to grab or tap on that rod with the window down to free it up and at least unlock the door. I'm not sure, I can't picture it in my head right now.

I had a similar problem that every time I would depress the door latch with the door locked it would hang up and not unlock from the inside or outside. Everything else functioned fine unless you depressed that handle with the door locked.

I finally traced the problem back to the pivots and springs on the door handle itself. All it needed was to be lubed with some penetrating oil and everything functioned as it should.
It may be a long shot but I hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Hopefully you'll get the door opened and see what's causing the problem. It might just be a simple problem with the linkage that can be resolved.

Good luck.
You have to get a new door latch. I haven't looked for a few years, but last time I looked new ones for 69 and up were still available.

What happens is that all the levers inside the latch are made of 0.070 inch soft steel. The pivots for the levers are very crude..no real bushings...just a hole punched in the lever arm which is inserted over a pivot stud. With aging, the lever pivot holes get worn oversize and the lever arms get sloppy which leads to binding. Also once the latch locks up, trying to force it open will usually just bend the relatively thin lever arms. Once they're bent the latch is buggered. Hopefully new ones are still available. Be thankful you don't have a 68...the latchs are different and don't think they're available new.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
'Bochawa72
Pro

I think qtlow is on the right track. When I had this same problem two years ago I replaced the lock/latch mechanisms as the ones in there were definitely worn. I would hope it's not that. I did notice that when I try to open to door from the inside that the handle feels like it's binding up. It doesn't return all the way. Hopefully some lube is all it needs. I will try to get in there this weekend and see what's up.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:18 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Well thanks for the help everyone. After peering into the gap in the door and fiddling with the lock mechanism for an hour I returned inside to check this thread. I just happened to have a screwdriver long enough to reach that little tab shown in the picture. Much to my surprise it popped right open still in the locked position. Some liquid wrench on the guts and everything works just fine again. Gotta find some white lithium or something similar out here. Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well thanks for the help everyone. After peering into the gap in the door and fiddling with the lock mechanism for an hour I returned inside to check this thread. I just happened to have a screwdriver long enough to reach that little tab shown in the picture. Much to my surprise it popped right open still in the locked position. Some liquid wrench on the guts and everything works just fine again. Gotta find some white lithium or something similar out here. Thanks again!

I was amazed at how easy it was when I first tried it too. I however didnt have to work around the plastic cover.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Billenglish
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did a similar thing on my 73. Had the driver door open, with the door panel off. The passenger side was stuck shut. I played with the driver door to see how the locking mechanism worked, and then it was stuck too. A-hah! Now I know for sure its the door lock that's at fault. Removed the clip from the rod, then I moved the mech a little farther, the door was unlocked and opened. So I worked on the pass door, which still had the panel on, and managed to get a long pick on the locking rod clip. Broke it off, got the rod out of the tab and then the door unlocked easily with the key. Problem solved. 45 year old car. I guess now although I should replace the mechanisms, I will settle for lengthening the arm and reinstalling to see if that will work for now.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rise from your grave dead thread!

Get notified of new replies

To *$#@%&$@ Door Locks

Quick Reply: *$#@%&$@ Door Locks