Sponsored by:

Stamp check!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stamp check!

Well, I went lking around because it is something I like to do. I need to sharpen my senses again.

I have come up to my own conclusion about this stamp but I like to hear from others.

I am certain from all the numbers one can easily determine the year, make, model of the car.

Now, if you were going to shell over THOUSANDS of dollars for this car (and I mean top dollar) would you be totally cool with it if this were the car you wanted and everything was in good working order based on what you see here?

(i will certainly let you in on the actual car later, but wanted to start here)

Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

theblackvette getting back to his normal self again. Good to see you posting again and asking some more thought provoking questions. I am not a stamp pad kinda guy, so I won't comment on that.

Have fun!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by theblackvette
...I have come up to my own conclusion about this stamp but I like to hear from others...
So have I, but I'm not in the market for a car.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

It has been Judged by the NCRS and received 2nd Flight Honors. The judging sheets are with the sale of this car. The previous owner had this car judged with the intentions to see what it would take to receive NCRS Top Flight Status. According to the Judging sheets some minor things need to be addressed and it will receive Top Flight. It scored 85 points which is only 10 points off of Top Flight.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's worth more than any other car built because it's certified to be a genuine 427 car. The numbers are stamped right on the pad.

Oh wait.................
Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
It's worth more than any other car built because it's certified to be a genuine 427 car. The numbers are stamped right on the pad.

Oh wait.................
cute on the 427 remark. LOL

So Mike......

A guy comes up and introduces himself to ya and says, "Hey I remember you from the forum!"

"Funny I am meeting up with ya. I just bought this car sight unseen!!!!! I just wired $60K plus to this seller as I know it is the real deal. The stamp looks GREAT, doesn't it!!!!!!! I love my stamp! Best one I have ever seen!!!!!"

Your response:

A. Congratulations!!!!! That is clearly the original stamping!
B. Reverse the Bank Wire you got scammed
C. Come on this is a put on. You know that is a restamp, but could be the original motor in this car.
D. Get out of here! LOL!!!!!!!! Who are you theblackvette from the forum? That stamp is the biggest POS I have ever seen!
E. Write in your response: ______________________

Come on Mike, step forward, what do you really think?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

F. I like cheese.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Well I am going to say it!!!!!

I don't like that stamp at all!!!!!!! Just doesn't look uniform and not what you would see from the factory.

For the price I would want to get an expert to take a good look at it in person. But, it just doesn't look right to me.

The ad is okay as it does not say the motor is born with this car. You can draw the numbers in crayon and say numbers matching.

It may very well be the original motor, who the hell knows?

All I know is that the original smog pump isn't there!!!!!!

Hey a beautiful car, nonetheless. Looks to be original red with deluxe interior. VERY nice. I don't know about that defroster mumbo jumbo and that description of the NCRS credentials? Oh wow!!!! Peter gave it a . No argument there. Can you imagine the cost it would take to get it to Top Flight from the current score (assuming that score is still accurate?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-1971-red-1-lt-1-corvette-convertible-s-matching-2-tops-leather-tilt-tele-loaded-/281412936404?forcerrptr=true&hash=item418584a2d4&item=281412936404&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

The car scored an 85 which is at the very bottom of the second flight range. Most cars have their scores helped a little by freebie points, like driving points, sticker, battery cut off etc. Most likely this car would be have been awarded a third flight (75-84.9) without the freebies.

That's no insult to any car or owner as any NCRS award is difficult to achieve, but the statement that it would just take minor things for this car to get into top flight range is a bit of a stretch.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

The car scored an 85 which is at the very bottom of the second flight range. Most cars have their scores helped a little by freebie points, like driving points, sticker, battery cut off etc. Most likely this car would be have been awarded a third flight (75-84.9) without the freebies.

That's no insult to any car or owner as any NCRS award is difficult to achieve, but the statement that it would just take minor things for this car to get into top flight range is a bit of a stretch.
Agreed, especially if you need to find a smog pump that is date coded! I think they are date coded right????? It can't be that easy to get one?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Agreed, especially if you need to find a smog pump that is date coded! I think they are date coded right????? It can't be that easy to get one?

They are date coded on the bottom. I do not believe they are judged for date; very tough to see when installed.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not exactly sure how they would have gotten the 'CGZ' to fit in the gang stamp.

Below is what a gang stamp looks like. As you can see it would be impossible to have letters of different sizes, and out of alignment in the same gang stamp.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mashman
I'm not exactly sure how they would have gotten the 'CGZ' to fit in the gang stamp.

Below is what a gang stamp looks like. As you can see it would be impossible to have letters of different sizes, and out of alignment in the same gang stamp.
Thanks for the picture!

So I can come to the conclusion that you are convinced this is in no way, shape, or form that this is factory.

$$$$$$$$$ for a stamp like this?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
They are date coded on the bottom. I do not believe they are judged for date; very tough to see when installed.
Great point!

One of my last items I bought for my car was a replacement oil cap for my made in China cap. It appeared correct when in place when you pull the plug off it was chinese from the wording on inside. YUCK!!!!!! I didn't want that $hit on my car and didn't want to take a deduct because of it. I go to find out that they won't pull the cap off and look at the inside anyway. BUT, I am still glad I bought it. Has correct part number on the inside as it should. It bugged the hell out of me to have that other crap on my car. See I do need therapy.

Anyone interested in a chinese made BB oil cap?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

If I were going to pay north of $30K for any Corvette I'd want a stamp pad expert to give the stamp their blessing. Cheap insurance relatively speaking. The expert is the one someone in the future will go to if they have doubts? The higher the prices go for 'originals' the more risk of taking a huge hit if the car is declared to be a fake.

Agree, the last three characters looked out of place. I'd definitely have an expert OK this one before I'd pay that kind of money.

I've seen people advertising rental of the gang stamps complete with proper font for the era. Wonder why they didn't take them up on the offer?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
If I were going to pay north of $30K for any Corvette I'd want a stamp pad expert to give the stamp their blessing. Cheap insurance relatively speaking. The expert is the one someone in the future will go to if they have doubts? The higher the prices go for 'originals' the more risk of taking a huge hit if the car is declared to be a fake.

Agree, the last three characters looked out of place. I'd definitely have an expert OK this one before I'd pay that kind of money.

I've seen people advertising rental of the gang stamps complete with proper font for the era. Wonder why they didn't take them up on the offer?
I am beginning to wonder if an expert is even needed to justify the $$$$ for this stamping. No way in heck I would pay that.

Knowing WHAT I KNOW I would be embarassed to bring this car to an event IF I PAID THE ASKING PRICE (and the stamp kept getting questioned) !!!!!!!. If I got a fair price and I paid what was appropriate THEN, I would be totally cool with it as when the tire kickers with their broach busters bash the stamping I can say YEP.....and I got a great price on it but isn't the CAR BEAUTIFUL?

The car does appear AMAZING!!!!! I think whoever buys this car will love it, but it just concerns me that someone may end up really getting up in their armpits $$$$$$wise for this car.

I would be proud to own this car, but ONLY at a fair price.

Last edited by theblackvette; 08-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stamp check!

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
I believe they are judged; any judge with a mirror can see the date code. The pump case was the same for multiple years, the date code will be your tell tale if it is correct.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
I believe they are judged; any judge with a mirror can see the date code. The pump case was the same for multiple years, the date code will be your tell tale if it is correct.
Gentlemen (VetteBuyer and Lemans Pete) I think you are BOTH right!

Chapter Event: Not judged!!!! No way am I going to get my hands dirty. I just had a manicure this week!!!!!

Regional Event/National Event: ALL BETS ARE OFF here comes the date deduct!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

F. I like cheese.
What kind of cheese?

Quick Reply: Stamp check!